Help Support Safer Cycling In Qld

Dizz

Help Support Safer Cycling In Qld

Postby Dizz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:15 am

Hi people, as the title says please help to support safer cycling in Qld by singing this parliamentary E-petition. And then tell every Queenslander you know to do the same.

If we are to succeed we must come together as a community & this is a vital step in an on going process; please don't delay stand-up and make a difference today.

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/E ... &lIndex=-1
Last edited by beauyboy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To make it a sticky

Pax

Re: Help Support Safer Cycling In Qld

Postby Pax » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:35 am

Hey Dizz

The petition looks appropriate.

How about a little intro about you your role with cycling, how you came across this petition etc etc....just be nice to know a bit more about you as a new person on the forum....and welcome along :)

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:34 am

Pax wrote:
How about a little intro about you your role with cycling, how you came across this petition etc etc....just be nice to know a bit more about you as a new person on the forum....and welcome along :)
Hi, Pax

I have been actively cycling for over three decades; on average I ride between 14-16,000 km/year and during this time I have witnessed the growing intolerance by motorists towards cyclists. I have never harbored any aspirations to race although I have from time to time aided others with such desires. To me cycling is not a means to an end by rather an integral part of a simpler life; something it seems that our society no longer values.

While this is my 2nd post, I have been lurking for sometime & I primarily joined to take part in the "Woman's Cycling" section, although I have not done so yet.

In regards to the Petition; a few months ago on another forum "The Womble" had put forward the idea of a Parliamentary E-petition & so I joined the forum & became actively involved with many others helping to craft the E-Petition into its current form. We believe that this vital step to improving our safety on the road and we are seeking to rally as much support as is possible.

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Dizz wrote: I have been actively cycling for over three decades; on average I ride between 14-16,000 km/year and during this time I have witnessed the growing intolerance by motorists towards cyclists. I have never harbored any aspirations to race although I have from time to time aided others with such desires. To me cycling is not a means to an end by rather an integral part of a simpler life; something it seems that our society no longer values.

While this is my 2nd post, I have been lurking for sometime & I primarily joined to take part in the "Woman's Cycling" section, although I have not done so yet.

In regards to the Petition; a few months ago on another forum "The Womble" had put forward the idea of a Parliamentary E-petition & so I joined the forum & became actively involved with many others helping to craft the E-Petition into its current form. We believe that this vital step to improving our safety on the road and we are seeking to rally as much support as is possible.
Fantastic

That all sound great, love the simpler lifestyle elements and the long term committment to cycling. It is ALWAYS great to meet people with your kind of committment.

I assume the other forum is road grime??? I'm not so active on that forum, but I do lurk there too.

Excuse my ignorance re this but what is the current regulation re how close cars can pass to us in Qld???

Again welcom along and thanks for your contribution :D

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:20 pm

Pax wrote: I assume the other forum is road grime??? I'm not so active on that forum, but I do lurk there too.

Yes, road grime is where this was conceived but the responsibility to ensure it's success belongs to all of us now. The thread is a fascinating read & demonstrates what can be achieved when like minded individuals co-operate towards a common goal. Here is the URL if you want to take a look http://www.roadgrime.com.au/home/index. ... pic=5525.0

Pax wrote: Excuse my ignorance re this but what is the current regulation re how close cars can pass to us in Qld???
Again welcom along and thanks for your contribution :D
Currently a motorist is only required to overtake "safely", which in practice means if you are not struck there is no offense. Obviously this is grossly inadequate & discourages many people from cycling, you need only ask the average parent if they would be comfortable with their children cycling to school to ascertain how chronically unsafe our roads have become.

Ironically for individuals such as myself the proposed changes will do virtually nothing; motorists very, very rarely come that close to me & those few that have are dispatched (I will not elaborate further). However, the reality is that most solo cyclists are more comfortable keeping to the far left of a lane, suicide in my opinion & not a requirement of law; nevertheless they still deserve better protection & respect than they are currently receiving. The proposal we have put forward seeks to address this and if successful, it will remove a critical barrier that is preventing many people from cycling but it is only one of many things that must occur before our roads can be considered cycling friendly.

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:15 pm

OK petition signed :D

Dizz, that Road Grime Thread is full of info and a very interesting process. Great work to all involved.

I had voted on that thread quite early (page 2 or 3 of 15 I think) but hadn't returned to it until today. Quite a long read!!

Come on all the other QLders on this forum, this is a good one to get behind, and to get everyone we know who lives in Qld behind (not just the cyclists)

Max

Postby Max » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Signed by me too. I've forwarded it to all my friends (all five of them) and told them to do the same. Hopefully they have a few more friends than I do :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:56 pm

Pax wrote: Come on all the other QLders on this forum, this is a good one to get behind, and to get everyone we know who lives in Qld behind (not just the cyclists)
I couldn't agree more; if we want to be herd this is a prime opportunity & yes, "not just the cyclist".

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:50 am

done.
Andrew

Pax

Postby Pax » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:39 pm

Bump...Just bringing this back up to the top...

Come on Queenslanders, have you all signed this yet :D

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:56 am

I've posted the link on my Facebook page, hopefully It'll get passed around a bit from there as well
Andrew

soc

Postby soc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:37 am

Yep, signed

Brockie

Postby Brockie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:29 pm

Done.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Are you stalking me Dizz? Tisk tisk :wink:

Pax

Postby Pax » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:40 pm

The Womble wrote:Are you stalking me Dizz? Tisk tisk :wink:
Ha...she beat you here, so that'd make you the stalker Womble :P

Well done on getting this petition up Dave.

BTW I've been very encouraged by how many of my non-cycling friends have immediately signed the petition and forwarded links on to their mates.

Tim

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:07 pm

Yarp.
BTW Bruce just went national!!!

http://www.amygillett.org.au/one-man-s- ... oads-safer

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:45 am

Just over 1600 signatures now. Mine is one of them. Good luck with it and thanks for bringing it up.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:43 am

I have signed it as well.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:02 am

The Womble wrote:Are you stalking me Dizz? Tisk tisk :wink:
No buddy, all credit to you, just alerting all those that I can. Keep up the good work :D

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Sent: Friday, 2 April 2010 12:43:59 PM
To: *******************@gmail.com
Hi **************,
Although I do feel the same as yourself, in that 1m may not be ideal as opposed to 1.5m, It is our best chance of being able to get the pollies to meet us half way at the outset. I did also take into account the fact that the Amy Gillet Foundation has been laying the groundwork with their One Meter Matters national campaign for well over 2 years now, and that in particular SE QLD's road network would become unusable - with the hard shoulders and lack of space outside of vehicular lanes on most suburban roads - if a 1.5m rule was put into law. Brisbane itself is already struggling with it's congestion issues without having to effectively sacrifice a full lane in order for motorists to keep clear of cyclists by such a margin, and the Government and motoring public will never allow that to happen.
I'm sure you are aware that as time progresses, the BCC's bikeway network will increase and spread to the point where we need to rely on the road network less and less over the next ten years or so. Until then, this rule is our best chance at staying safe. The BCC, State and Federal governments are not going to widen roads, shift power poles and restump houses to allow us 1.5m, even if we begin to pay registration. New Zealand has the best road network in the world, and it's cities and towns aren't as restricted for space, thereby allowing for bikelanes on the vast majority of roads and suburban streets. I grew up and lived in NZ for 18 years and The difference between an Auckland street and one in Brisbane is like chalk and cheese. I envy Kiwi cyclists.
It's also worth noting that both the United States and Canada are pushing for 3ft, which is slightly less than the 1m we have a very strong chance of getting passed.

Dave Sharp

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 12:15:57 +1000
Subject: 1m petition
To: wombling@hotmail.com

Hello David,

I understand you must have gone to a lot of effort to start and gain support for this petition. I'm at a loss, though to understand why you have gone for 1m instead of at least 1.5m. I don't agree with the thinking that a mandatory 1m is better than the current advisory 1m. No matter what words such as 'minimum' surround the 1m, it is simply not enough to keep cyclist safe and if the petition is successful, we'll be stuck for many, many years with legislation that I have no doubt will result in more danger to cyclists, not less.

There are many motorists who currently pass at a safe distance who, in some cases in future are likely to say the law says 1m is safe so that's what I'll give them. There are many who will no longer change lanes to pass a bike because they'll think they can squeeze past and still give a metre. One metre is not enough if the vehicle is a car let alone a bus or truck and is absurd for higher speed limits of 80-90-100kph. The petition says 'minimum' one metre but that allows one metre to be legal. There are many, many drivers who simply don't have the skills or vehicle control, let alone attention span, to accurately come within one metre of a moving bike and do it safely.

In New Zealand there are road signs everywhere telling motorists to give at least 1.5 metres. Why should we settle for less. I implore you to have this petition ammended to make the minimum at least 1.5 metres.

Regards,

Why would you argue against something better???

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:03 pm

mcewenrobbie

QUEENSLAND CITIZENS + RESIDENTS -1m matters petition, cycling safety! go on, sign it.. http://bit.ly/d4wpAQ
about 7 hours ago via TweetDeck

A certain Mr Robbie McEwen is spreading the word to the cycling world. Literally. You may have heard of him... 'coz he ROCKS!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:32 am

signed 8)
Last edited by Drunkmonkey on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:59 pm

The Partition has just broken 3000,

Now all we need is another 7000 to make it to the 10 000 target.

Donald

PS what we really need is BQ to advertise the partition on there website.
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Pax

Postby Pax » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:21 pm

beauyboy wrote:
PS what we really need is BQ to advertise the partition on there website.
No chance of that. I emailed them a week ago and got a very clear "NO" response from Ben. He supports the sentiment but not happy with the specified 1 metre.

Dizz

Postby Dizz » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:50 pm

Pax wrote:
No chance of that. I emailed them a week ago and got a very clear "NO" response from Ben. He supports the sentiment but not happy with the specified 1 metre.

Bicycle Queensland - About Us
* BQ is a non-profit community and advocacy group working to make cycling safer.
* We meet regularly with politicians and planners to persuade them to improve cycling facilities in Queensland, Australia.
* BQ also advises government engineers on suitable designs for cycling facilities.
* BQ supports programs that promote cycling and make cycling more accessible to potential cyclists.
* BQ encourages and supports local groups lobbying for better cycling conditions in their area.
* Bicycle Queensland stands up for cycling in Government, media and community circles.

But Bicycle Queensland would rather that no minimum safe distance is established in law; because things are just fine the way they are, right. You would think that a self proclaimed cycling advocacy group would understand the concept of "baby steps" but apparently not.

Just like self absorbed bureaucrats, absolutely shameful.