My 2nd Fixie - Project Peleton

dodgiebros

My 2nd Fixie - Project Peleton

Postby dodgiebros » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:00 am

It's time for the next project :mrgreen: I've recently bought a new bike and was gonna restore this oldish girl (1996 Raceline Peleton) but have decided to fixie her instead. She's only got the low spec 7sp RSX groupset which is a bit tired. I reckon I'll spend a bit more time and money on this one and fully pimp it 8) LOL

A couple of questions to start with:

I don't know if it has clear anodize (if there is such thing?) or paint so I'm unsure how to remove it? Will paint stripper work? If so, can it be used on Ally?

The studs on the down tube for the gear cables (pic below),I am unsure if it goes through the frame or bonded on each side? And how to remove?

Before

The fun part, dismantling

All in bits

Gear studs???

dodgiebros

Re: My 2nd Fixie - Project Peleton

Postby dodgiebros » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:06 am

I've answered one question :mrgreen: (tried a spanner on one) the gear cable studs thingy (is there a name for them? :oops: ) is a 2 piece shaft that goes through the tube and screws to itself. Now I've got two big gaping holes in the tube :(

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:11 am

Fixie? What are you going to do for chain tension?

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:32 am

I reckon I got two options... 1. is to get one of these... (which I think will look dickie)

or 2. (just a thought) is to get a good friend of mine who is an awesome boilermaker to make (or purchase if possible) and weld in horizontal dropouts (what are track ones called?)... except he just doesn't know it yet :shock: He owes me a favor anyways :wink: But I will run it by him and see what he thinks. Has anyone else out there done this type of operation?

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:20 pm

You won't be able to run a Singlelator on a Fixie, you could run it Singlespeed with freewheel, but as a fixie the singlelator would get ripped off when you put pressure on the pedals. You can definitely go the route of adding horizontal/track dropouts, but it might be worth it due to cost/reliability/safety.

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:27 pm

rearviewmirror wrote:You won't be able to run a Singlelator on a Fixie, you could run it Singlespeed with freewheel, but as a fixie the singlelator would get ripped off when you put pressure on the pedals.
Hey thanks for pointing that out rearview :wink: I didn't think of that :oops:
So my options now are freewheel only or frame mod :?: :? I'm starting to wonder now :?

ok, questions to self:

1. Do I need a fixed wheel? not really but see Q2 & Q3 :(
2. If so, why? um.. cause it's cool and I can skid??? :lol: actually I don't know why I'd need it fixed :?
3. If not, Is it ok to have freewheel only with the tensioner there looking odd and defeating the purpose of having a straight chain and no junk on the bike? I don't think so :|
4. Is it worth trying to get the frame mod? As rearview said with regards to safety etc. atm it's my favourite option until I know if it can be done with not too much hassle :)
5. Do I just restore her back to original condition? see Q6
6. If so, is it worth it for a tired low spec groupset and other bits? I'm thinking no not worth it :?
7. or if so, do I try and source a newer (old stock) higher spec groupset (105 8/9sp maybe?)and wheels if going for good price? not sure, I don't know what's out there :?
8.Why am i so confused? :mrgre:

feedback on my dilemma would be greatly appreciated :mrgreen: as I've started pulling my hair out :P What would you guys do?

thanks in advance :wink: ....Troy

brendan03

Postby brendan03 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm no metallurgist but I understand aluminum to be very difficult to wield so you might have more than a few hassles trying to change the dropouts.

Clean it up, put it on ebay and buy a more suitable frame with the profits. :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:16 am

Have a yarn to Jon at Gripsport for pricing on fork ends Dodge, he's a very good engineer. He might be able to suggest something for the boss holes too.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:02 am

Google up "magic gear calculator" It's what you'll need if you want to fix that frame without mods.
Why waste bucks on on modifying a low end frame when you could get an ally giant bowery or Gt gutterball with fork ends and nice new bits?

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:25 pm

tnx for input lads :wink: . I finally caught up with boily mate this morning and showed him what I wanted and he took it on with "too easy mate". He even offered to fill the holes in the down tube, remove cable guides and polish the whole thing to a mirror finish :mrgreen: ,say's he's got all the polishing tools (which is awesome cause it's painful and time consuming polishing by hand :( ). Can't wait to see how it turns out :)

I did check out that 'magic gear calculator' out and thought yeah, would be great to jag the right combination of sprocket/ cog but wondering just how accurate it is? I mean, a mm in one direction can be a lot on chain tension. Has anyone out there done this with success?

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:36 am

dodgiebros wrote:tnx for input lads :wink: . I finally caught up with boily mate this morning and showed him what I wanted and he took it on with "too easy mate". He even offered to fill the holes in the down tube, remove cable guides and polish the whole thing to a mirror finish :mrgreen: ,say's he's got all the polishing tools (which is awesome cause it's painful and time consuming polishing by hand :( ). Can't wait to see how it turns out :)

I did check out that 'magic gear calculator' out and thought yeah, would be great to jag the right combination of sprocket/ cog but wondering just how accurate it is? I mean, a mm in one direction can be a lot on chain tension. Has anyone out there done this with success?

I've never seen one with the "magic gear" combo, but I can't imagine it's all that great. I am very sensitive to chain tension, I can't stand any slop in a fixie drivetrain. Go for the mod, or pick up a cheap track frame, you'll like it. One other advantage is that you will likely change gear ratio's occasionally, depending on your fitness and terrain.

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:35 pm

rearviewmirror wrote: I've never seen one with the "magic gear" combo, but I can't imagine it's all that great. I am very sensitive to chain tension, I can't stand any slop in a fixie drivetrain. Go for the mod, or pick up a cheap track frame, you'll like it. One other advantage is that you will likely change gear ratio's occasionally, depending on your fitness and terrain.
Yeah I'm with ya on that one rearview, chain tension has to be just right. And changing cogs, I've already changed from 42x16 to 42x15 on other fixie and may even go higher... if I keep at it :P
Plus I will have a higher toothed freewheel otherside for those wimpy moments :oops:

Was looking around on Sheldons last night and found this:

I'm wondering if this would be the way to go? Has anyone else out there have one? etc. I'm thinking it's gonna save me butchering the frame (which mate hadn't started yet). :?: :?:

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:46 pm

yep, white industries eno hub. It will work, but pricy, i think its about 100 brand new, just for the hub.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:35 pm

I've got one of those hubs for my old MTB. I have not started to use it yet but the rear wheel of the wheelset it was part of spins beautifully smooth. I plan to just have a second chain for when i fit that wheel to the bike. The cog lines up nicely with the middle cog of the front derailleur. I played with it and it's pretty easy to adjust the eccentric hub to keep the chain tight. New ones are more like $200 just for the rear hub on eBay, but I kept looking and got the whole wheelset with Mavic rims, QRs and new tyres for little more than that. Note that White Industries has a really good splined setup for the fixed cogs, using a normal lockring. It is the only other setup I've seen that avoids lockrings being stripped other than the VeloSolo setup with M756 front hubs, like I have for one of my sons. I've not worked out how to pull the Eno hub apart for servicing yet.

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:44 am

cheers for feedback guys, I've bitten the bullet and ordered one through 'Harris Cycles', don't remember how much it cost but it wasn't cheap (hope exchange rate is in my favour). I purchased the hub only + spacers for 130mm roadie dropout size. I'm hoping when (or if) it turns up, I can score a pair of nice deep V rims to lace one to and be happy as :-D.... Do Velocity still do a polished alloy Deep V rim? I'm old school and like shiny bits :-p

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:49 am

Depending on hole count, I think Cell have a special on V rims at the mo.

h3ndry

Postby h3ndry » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:49 pm

What are you gonna do with the group.....?
Do or do not. There is no try

dodgiebros

Project Peleton - on the road :)

Postby dodgiebros » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:04 pm

Well I finally pulled my finger out and got this thing on the road. :D
I was gonna give it the full treatment but thought 'stuff it, just put it back together and RIDE IT' :twisted:
I was even too lazy to grind the chainring bolts down to ditch the small ring (they're both together on the inside of the spider) :shock: ...it does need a new chainring (or new crankset) though, this one (RSX Hyperglide) mustn't be perfectly round as I have a loose spot on the chain :? ... one day... maybe :roll:
I went with the ONE hub (32h) (15t) laced to a Sun rim, 1/8th chain, chucked on an old Bontrager Select front wheel with a Promax lever on the original RSX calliper. Oh, and a couple'a 'Monster' servo promo stickers :lol:
I've been riding her for a couple of months now and actually prefer it over my half decent roadie 8) , especially on our weekend group rides, the geared folk think I'm crazy :mrgreen:

wqlava1

Re: Project Peleton - on the road :)

Postby wqlava1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:52 pm

dodgiebros wrote:Well I finally pulled my finger out and got this thing on the road. :D
I was gonna give it the full treatment but thought 'stuff it, just put it back together and RIDE IT' :twisted:
I was even too lazy to grind the chainring bolts down to ditch the small ring (they're both together on the inside of the spider) :shock: ...it does need a new chainring (or new crankset) though, this one (RSX Hyperglide) mustn't be perfectly round as I have a loose spot on the chain :? ... one day... maybe :roll:
I went with the ONE hub (32h) (15t) laced to a Sun rim, 1/8th chain, chucked on an old Bontrager Select front wheel with a Promax lever on the original RSX calliper. Oh, and a couple'a 'Monster' servo promo stickers :lol:
I've been riding her for a couple of months now and actually prefer it over my half decent roadie 8) , especially on our weekend group rides, the geared folk think I'm crazy :mrgreen:

Looks good, and I understand from the fixie i ride around during the week on the flat-ish area of Adelaide how much simple enjoyment you can get from a simple bike. It seems to be themed at each end - silver at the rear (seatpost, bidon holder & spokes) and black at the front. I understand that - I say to myself that I like silver stuff then I can't get a silver brake cable hanger or handlebars of the exact bend I want or other bits and find all this black stuff on the bike - and I'm still happy!

What i don't understand is the saddle pointing up marginally - that has always been a pain in my experience. Still if it works for you...

I have a question. i need to pull my secondhand ENO hub apart to fix (change I think) the bearings. Did you get any instructions about how to pull the hub apart in doco that came with your new one?

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:49 pm

cheers lava1 :wink:
I hadn't noticed but it does look themed :shock:
it's just the way it went together with what I had lying around...but cool, I'll go with it :mrgreen:

As for the saddle, I do like them raised slightly at the front but for some reason I need this one higher to be comfortable. I does look odd though :?

You're in luck!!! I've found the instructions for the ENO hub.... let me know if you can't read it and I'll try something different?... I have no scanner so using camera.

DISSASSEMBLY

ASSEMBLY

PS. I hope you can make sense of 'em :?

HLC

Postby HLC » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:59 pm

Looks pretty good for a cheap build!

My only comment is go to your LBS and spend the $9 on some single chainring bolts.

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:07 am

thanks HLC

You know, the times I have been to my LBS for this and that, I've always walked out thinking 'there was something else I needed....' :?

But now I have no excuse, I bought a cheap crankset online :)

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:53 am

dodgiebros wrote:tnx for input lads :wink: . I finally caught up with boily mate this morning and showed him what I wanted and he took it on with "too easy mate". He even offered to fill the holes in the down tube, remove cable guides and polish the whole thing to a mirror finish :mrgreen: ,say's he's got all the polishing tools (which is awesome cause it's painful and time consuming polishing by hand :( ). Can't wait to see how it turns out :)

?
What happened to this option?

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:05 am

put quite simply, it was all piss talk :evil: After a few months at his place and nothing done, I took the frame back :roll:
A look around and ya get to see the picture, he's a classic 'GonnaDooWundy'............ just like me :mrgreen: :lol: