Race Report Thread

Chuck

Re: 2010 Race Report Thread

Postby Chuck » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:45 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Heal up quick.
+1

Bummer ft_ because it sounds like you're going well at the moment.
FPR Ragamuffin

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:29 pm

ft_critical that's an OUCH

Take it easy mate
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:47 pm

Thanks all for the best wishes.

I was going to say hello Sasha, but Will took about 30min to patch me, so everyone had left by that time. See you next time. I think you are strong enough to hurt them.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:25 pm

My 4.5 year old daughter has the following advice:

"Go fast, use the brake."

eon

Postby eon » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:59 pm

ft_critical wrote:My 4.5 year old daughter has the following advice:

"Go fast, use the brake."

:shock: ouch !!!!!!! ........ ok i'm taking a break and stick with the M7 footpath riding instead of racing.

geezz... luckily no broken bones....

Recover soon mate...

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:12 pm

Get well. I think I saw that crash. There was a crash near the finishline FT...was that it? Heal well and fast.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Major ouchies :cry: Love the pics though. Great pus definition :D Must be getting itchy now.
What was the surgury you had below the knee? Plates and screws due to a broken leg?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:49 pm

aeroslavebigbelly wrote:There was a crash near the finishline FT...was that it?
Yep that was it. This was from Ernie Smith - you can see how far my bike and I have slid apart. Yep, I felt the burn of the road, so it was a long slide.

Spiza wrote:Major ouchies :cry: Love the pics though. Great pus definition :D Must be getting itchy now.
What was the surgury you had below the knee? Plates and screws due to a broken leg?
I don't think that is actually pus, I think it is the exposed fat cells... but what do I know.
Full knee reconstruction in the old days from a Rugby tackle, AC and Medial. It is good for all but moguls.

Thanks for the kind wishes. Healing well apart from being doored this morning.

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:23 pm

Yup FT, Ehly, Zozz and I were near the officials table when that happened. If I remember it right, we were just about to claim our places when that crash happened. I heard a loud thud...
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:25 pm

Ouch - get well soon

ahh...most important question. How's the bike?
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:02 pm

Redbull wrote:ahh...most important question. How's the bike?
Hi Redbull.

The crash upgraded my derailleur from Chorus to Record; from a weight perspective :lol:

Actually, although I haven't ridden it yet, it came through amazingly unscathed.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:46 pm

Seen quite few crashes in that 100 meter stretch of tarmac...good your back on the bike thou.
Apparently when a big bunch goes down the road at the same time you can actually smell the burning flesh..theres a nice thought!.

philip

Postby philip » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:44 pm

Beaumont Rd today:

It was an absolutely massive turnout, there were more riders than there have been up there for a long time apparently. A couple of mates convinced me to give A grade a go and I figured today was probably a good day to try it because A grade was big enough that I hoped to be able to just sit in and B grade was so huge I thought it was probably going to be pretty crazy.

A grade pace was FAST, probably about 30 riders. Attacks from the get go. I was quite near the back so at each corner there was a long sprint, then the pace stayed high so I'd only just recover by the next turn - wash and repeat. There was a crash a few laps in, not sure what happened. I hung on for about 20-30 minutes I think, until I found I was just redlining it the whole time and never recovering. A handful of others had already pulled out so I didn't feel too bad about it so I dropped off the main bunch. A couple of other A graders who had been dropped earlier went by so I jumped on with them and we rolled around for a few more laps.

A good experience but I'm not sure I'll give A grade a go again for a while - I think to train for that race the best thing is probably short sprinting intervals.. something I just never get around to doing.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Anyone do the Waratah enduro today at the Western Sydney dragway?

Big fields. My first time racing on the drag way circuit. That's a pretty cool circuit.

I raced A grade. Got through OK but it was 'ard. Got a team mate (and client :D ) into a small break after about an hour and played policeman after that, when I could.

Break survived, just! Eddie Salas took the bunch gallop. Happy for my mate to get a result. :D

531db

Postby 531db » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:22 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Anyone do the Waratah enduro today at the Western Sydney dragway?

Big fields. My first time racing on the drag way circuit. That's a pretty cool circuit.

I raced A grade. Got through OK but it was 'ard. Got a team mate (and client :D ) into a small break after about an hour and played policeman after that, when I could.

Break survived, just! Eddie Salas took the bunch gallop. Happy for my mate to get a result. :D
Yep, 220 riders on a 3.67km circuit at the same time. I went around in 'D Grade' for 13 of our 16 laps before calling it a day. Average speed for 'D' which as a masters grade is supposed to be the equivilent to 'E' grade in other 'senior' clubs was 36.5 kph over 59 km, hmm, there were more than just a few riders wearing 'burglar masks' today.

At one point on the circuits 4 grades were passing each other in proximitity, about 130 riders all wanting a piece of the same bit of narrow tarmac, no incidents there but a few minor crashes in various grades at other times.

A good circuit as Alex says, but probably 150 riders at a time is it's effective maximum due to the narrow sections.

NotFlyingScot

Postby NotFlyingScot » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:38 pm

531db wrote:hmm, there were more than just a few riders wearing 'burglar masks' today.
Pete, sorry I did not spot you out there this morning but there was rather a crowd to get lost in! Funny I was thinking a bit like you but I thought "don't be a bad sport NFS" :lol:
Sandy
FPR Jubilado Bludger

Zujan

Postby Zujan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Anyone do the Waratah enduro today at the Western Sydney dragway?
Yes, I was in A grade today. Alex, I rode past you couple of times; you had strong finish hah...
And it was big turnaround.54 riders in A grade. It was a very unusual race, there was not Eddie Salas break, he finished with a bunch and outsprinted everyone including myself and I’m happy with that hah. There were 3 crashes, one big one with about 7 to 8 riders hitting deck hard, there were sparks everywhere, lots of carbon, skin and egos broken there. And there was one solo crash and 3 riders hitting deck in that nasty crash on bell/last lap.
But as every Enduro, it was good fun. I finished race without any problems, grabbed strong wheel for final sprint but could managed only around 10th place on the end. Looking forward to next Enduro, should be fun....
Just looked at my Garmin;distance 88km,average bpm 149 and average speed 41.5kmh.
Last edited by Zujan on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2011 Cervelo S3/SRAM Red Black/Zipp 404 T,3T Team
2010 Cervelo R3/SRAM Red, 3T Team,Fulcrum Racing 1

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Zujan wrote:Yes, I was in A grade today. Alex, I rode past you couple of times; you had strong finish hah...
:lol:
Well my job was done, the break had got there, just, so didn't see the point really and I would likely have been swamped in any case. My sprint is not what it used to be.

2:06 with an NP of 315W.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Zujan wrote:There were 3 crashes, one big one with about 7 to 8 riders hitting deck hard, there was sparks everywhere, lots of carbon, skin and egos broken there. And there was one solo crash and 3 riders hitting deck in that nasty crash on bell/last lap.
Yeah - all that happened behind me, I heard what sounded like crashes but was as much as possible up/near the front keeping my nose clean. Some interesting cornering skills on display, so I'm not all that surprised.

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Got a team mate (and client :D ) into a small break after about an hour and played policeman after that, when I could.
I think Jayson Austin played the better copper. He rarely left the top 5 once the break was made.

Once your man was away it was a sea of RST jerseys stiing on the front.

I thought "I'm having none of that", and kept pushing past for some longish turns.

The thing that sh*ts me is that for the first 90 mins everyone wants to come to the front and push the pace, then for the last half hour, when you need people at the front to push the pace to catch the break, no one want's to work.

It was very weird (in a nice way) having Eddie in the group till the finish.

He was a marked man though. As soon as Eddie moved, so did the whole group.

Yeah, I definitely enjoyed myself today.

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:08 pm

philip wrote:Beaumont Rd today:

It was an absolutely massive turnout, there were more riders than there have been up there for a long time apparently. A couple of mates convinced me to give A grade a go and I figured today was probably a good day to try it because A grade was big enough that I hoped to be able to just sit in and B grade was so huge I thought it was probably going to be pretty crazy.

A grade pace was FAST, probably about 30 riders. Attacks from the get go. I was quite near the back so at each corner there was a long sprint, then the pace stayed high so I'd only just recover by the next turn - wash and repeat. There was a crash a few laps in, not sure what happened. I hung on for about 20-30 minutes I think, until I found I was just redlining it the whole time and never recovering. A handful of others had already pulled out so I didn't feel too bad about it so I dropped off the main bunch. A couple of other A graders who had been dropped earlier went by so I jumped on with them and we rolled around for a few more laps.

A good experience but I'm not sure I'll give A grade a go again for a while - I think to train for that race the best thing is probably short sprinting intervals.. something I just never get around to doing.
I went out there for a run in B Grade, although I haven't raced out there in over a year. I remember why, the pace out of the turns is horrific.

I rolled off the start toward the back of B grade and that was my Crit done, no chance of moving up positions with so many running in B Grade, I didn't do a count but there was heaps of riders. I was happy to just stay out of trouble and run around with the bunch trying to hold on till the end. I didn't get put in the hurt box which was nice but had to pull off in one of the laps to deal with a rubbing rear brake pad, it reared its head on the second to last lap which ruled me out on the final part of the last lap when the pace got put down out of the far turnaround.

NP was 250 watts for 56 mins which is a PB, but average power was 188 watts from memory so I'm not reading too much into it as it was 10w higher than I could manage at Calga yesterday in 42 mins.

There looked like there was a nasty crash in A grade as well involving about 7-8 riders.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:54 pm

Some good racing in Sydney this weekend :D .
Are the enduro's becoming a regular thing for Waratah's these days?...certainly getting the numbers!.
1q2w3e4r how much do you weigh?...not much :D .

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:23 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Some good racing in Sydney this weekend :D .
Are the enduro's becoming a regular thing for Waratah's these days?...certainly getting the numbers!.
1q2w3e4r how much do you weigh?...not much :D .
Hehe mate I'm a lightweight/featherweight a slight breeze would blow me over. Usually clock in between 60-62kg

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones wrote:I think Jayson Austin played the better copper. He rarely left the top 5 once the break was made.

Once your man was away it was a sea of RST jerseys stiing on the front.
Yeah, Jayson wouldn't have been overly stretched, although he's coming back from injury. There was only 4 of us, including the one in the break, so not sure about a sea of us :)
Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones wrote:The thing that sh*ts me is that for the first 90 mins everyone wants to come to the front and push the pace, then for the last half hour, when you need people at the front to push the pace to catch the break, no one want's to work.
That's racin' I s'pose. I wasn't sure how my engine would be running today, so just went with it. Coming back from illness and injury myself. Didn't feel too flash after 30-min but seem to get better.
Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones wrote:It was very weird (in a nice way) having Eddie in the group till the finish.

He was a marked man though. As soon as Eddie moved, so did the whole group.
I didn't even realise he was there until after the race :lol: - we had a brief chat.

I had some pretty good power numbers.
2:06 at NP 315W

My 1-hr NP max was 327W :shock:

stevecassidy

Postby stevecassidy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:06 pm

531db wrote: Yep, 220 riders on a 3.67km circuit at the same time. I went around in 'D Grade' for 13 of our 16 laps before calling it a day. Average speed for 'D' which as a masters grade is supposed to be the equivilent to 'E' grade in other 'senior' clubs was 36.5 kph over 59 km, hmm, there were more than just a few riders wearing 'burglar masks' today.
That's a little reassuring, I got dropped after the big split that happened when everyone passed each other. The B grade break passed us calling 'go right' then the bunch called 'go left', with that and us passing E grade I came out of the other end on the back of a much smaller group not knowing whether it was the front or back half of the pack. After a lap and a half trying to catch them and not getting closer than 5m I decided it wasn't going to happen and dropped back. I was blaming the cold I had over the weekend but it was a bit faster than normal. Everyone chasing the sprint dollars I guess.

Still, good fun and all part of the learning process.

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney