Another which bike thread

santango

Another which bike thread

Postby santango » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm

Hi all,

So I've been riding my old Malvern Star MTB that I got 15 years ago into work each day (say 100km a week), and its time for an upgrade.
As everyone, I want the best of both worlds. Light as possible, as close to a flat bar road bike as I can get while still retaining the ability to jump kerbs and potholes when necessary. Budget negotiable, but under 1k preferred. I'm only 75kg so weight shouldn't be an issue.
So far, my research has led me to looking at the following:
Avanti Blade 8
Felt QX90
Giant CRX 3
Cell SS101 or X-2
Scott Sportster P3

Any guidance on which to choose? Any obvious standouts? Any others I haven't yet discovered I should consider?
Thanks in advance....

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Re: Another which bike thread

Postby europa » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:53 pm

santango wrote:So I've been riding my old Malvern Star MTB that I got 15 years ago into work each day (say 100km a week), and its time for an upgrade.
As my son'd say 'no !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!' :D

Welcome to the nuthouse.

Have you ridden any of these bikes? That'll go a long way towards helping you decide. On the jumping kerbs and potholes - do you mean jumping them or having the ability to negotiate them? Any road bike will take kerbs and the like if you're sensible and/or stop, but if you have to hit the things on a regular basis, we're back to mtb type bikes (I struck a bit of 'road' the other day where the sensible alternative was to fly :shock: )

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:00 pm

Error. This post can no longer be displayed.
Last edited by MountGower on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stryker84

Re: Another which bike thread

Postby stryker84 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:49 pm

santango wrote:Hi all,

So I've been riding my old Malvern Star MTB that I got 15 years ago into work each day (say 100km a week), and its time for an upgrade.
As everyone, I want the best of both worlds. Light as possible, as close to a flat bar road bike as I can get while still retaining the ability to jump kerbs and potholes when necessary. Budget negotiable, but under 1k preferred. I'm only 75kg so weight shouldn't be an issue.
So far, my research has led me to looking at the following:
Avanti Blade 8
Felt QX90
Giant CRX 3
Cell SS101 or X-2
Scott Sportster P3

Any guidance on which to choose? Any obvious standouts? Any others I haven't yet discovered I should consider?
Thanks in advance....
If by "when necessary" you mean "only when you're flying towards one that suddenly jumped out in front of you and there's no possible way to avoid it", then fine. Otherwise, you might want to reconsider your choce of bikes to something with at least front suspension.
The road-oriented hybrid builds just aren't meant to regularly drop off kerbs and hit potholes, they're meant to avoid/go around them.
My 2c? Either reconsider your riding, or reconsider your choice of bike to a more MTB-style hybrid (e.g., the Shogun Metro-series, or the Avanti 'comfort ' range)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:53 am

G'Day Santango :)

If you've got a good clean bunnyhop happening and the kerbs aren't bigger than standard I reckon you'll get away with a flatbar. My Roadie (Giant OCR2) hasn't given any problems hopping speedhumps and potholes, I usually slow down and monohop kerbs tho'.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:47 am

I tend to agree with stryker84. If you are aiming at jumping kurbs I would not be aiming at Flat Bar Road bike such as an Avanti Blade. I would be aiming at a Hybrid Such as an Avanti Pionear.
I am about the same weight and I jump off standard kerbs with my Pionear and have had no trouble with the wheels yet. That said I am still aware of the damage that I can do to my wheels.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

santango

Cheers - what about this one?

Postby santango » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. On the subject of me jumping kerbs, its usually jumping down them - that and bunny hopping the frequent potholes I come across at speed on Sydney Rd.
Been doing some further research, and here's what I think I'll go with - supposed to be a good mix of speed and strength (for when my pothole dodging goes wrong).

Scott Sub 20
Weight 11.2Kg
Frame: New Evo/Aero Alloy tubing, w Evo D/O 26"
Fork: straight alloy fork 26", Pulo, disc only TL 316
Headset: VP 41 AC E
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore 24spd
Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-T 301
Shifters: Shimano Alivio
Brakelevers: Scott Comp
Brakes: Scott, V-Brakes
Crankset: Shimano FC-TS 80, 28/38/48 w CG
Chainguard: on crankset
BB: Shimano BB TS 30
Handlebar: GTS, HL-MTB-152 steel, blk
H'stem: HL-TDS-AL-C41-8 blk
Pedal: Wellgo 998 S
Seatpost: HL-SP 233 blk
Seat: Velo VL 1061 SCT
Hub front: SCO 31 QR 32Lblack
Hub rear: Shimano FH-RM 60 blk
Chain: KMC Z 72 sil or grey
Cassette: Shimano CS-HG30- 8 I, 8-Speed 11-30
Spokes: DT 1.8mm blk
Rims: Alesa DP 2000 blk/cnc/, w eyelet 32H 26"
Tires: Maxxis Columbiere M-204, 26x 1.25 blk

Any thoughts? Anything I should be aware of?

europa

Postby europa » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:42 pm

That the bike mate?

Richard

santango

Close

Postby santango » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:40 pm

That's the SUB 10 - higher specked and much more exe... The Sub 20 is black and missing the disc brakes and I'm sure some other things...

europa

Postby europa » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:49 pm

How about this one then

Richard

I googled sub 20 and didn't notice that I'd been pointed to the sub 10 :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:11 pm

The Scotts look like burly streeters with an "Up yours" attitude. I like! :D

Spec list on the 10 is acceptable, and I'm sure the upgrade bug will bite when something wears out :wink:

Chase one down in your size Santango and have a test run, if you hop off with a grin that pushes your ears outward, then you've found the one.

Shaun

Another Scott! Moo will be delighted.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011