Stolen Black Avanti Blade, Perth WA

Forum rules
Before posting, please read the guidelines first.
Shigeru

Stolen Black Avanti Blade, Perth WA

Postby Shigeru » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:41 am

Hi everyone,

My bike has been stolen at Maylands train station, Perth WA.
I left it there between 5:30pm and 9:30pm, and a f****** bastard cut the lock, and ran off with it. It happened tonight, that is to say on the 31st of March, 2010.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Being a student and not having any insurrance, I'll have to pay off a new one off my pocket, which I cannot afford at the moment, and loose hundreds of hours in walking/waiting for public transport.

It is a black Avanti, model Blade, bought about 2 months ago. There are some distinctive wear marks on the bike such as scratches on the top of the frame, and a damaged pedal.

Any recommendations or tips would be appreciated, I don't really know what to do except declaring it to the police, and keep an eye on local resellers.

If i find it back, I am still puzzling out if I will call the police or give the guy a good lesson. I know that violence is never agood idea, but it is hard to adopt this philosophy once you are stuck in these kind of situations.

Regards,

SeanB

Re: Stolen Black Avanti Blade, Perth WA

Postby SeanB » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:12 am

Sorry to hear that mate. Keep an eye on ebay and http://perth.gumtree.com.au/f-Stuff-for ... atIdZ18314 too!

Shigeru

Postby Shigeru » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:17 pm

Good day SeanB,

Thanks for your reply, I'll keep an eye on it.

For my next bike, or if I ever get this one back, what would be the best sort of anti-thieves I could possibly use for it, knowing that I have to lock it up sometimes for a day at the train station ?

I've heard about the U, but read that people could "lift" :?: it with a ballpen... Mention of RFID chips have been made as well.

Cheers,

Have a good one.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Most recommended solution seems to be a good quality cable lock for the front wheel and frame, and a very good quality U Lock to go around the seat post, through the back wheel and around your object of choice (bike lockup, street sign etc.)

Good luck getting your bike back!
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:03 pm

Our Avanti got nicked last year along with a couple of other bikes. Report it to the police so if they do find it, they can return it to you. If no one claims the bike it goes to auction later on this year along with all the other seized & stolen goods.

Then go to the local markets on the weekends and see if it turns up there. Also check local shopping centres and high school bike lots. I found part of one of my bikes (front wheel, forks & handlebars) attached to the remains of someone else's bike at the Canningvale markets. The rest of the bike and the other 2 bikes have not been found.
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

Shigeru

Postby Shigeru » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:42 am

Thanks Robdog and Colin_T,

The double locked solution is definitely worthwhile trying :)

Also, Maylands-Perth is not that far, so I thought as well of biking down to there instead of catching the train, and leave my next acquisition in the middle of a bunch of bike right in front of the security, double locked up and adding pink hearts and flowers on it (all right... maybe not the hearts :D ) How does that sound ? It will give me a good workout as well.

I honestly think that some good stickers will drive them away, and why not adding a scary looking charm like magical thing on it, like a voodoo stuff. :twisted:

I'll check around, following your advice Colin, and check some pawnshops as well. I'll be very limited as I will use my legs to do so, but that's better than anything else, isn't it ? Nonetheless, they have to be stupid if they put it for sale on Gumtree or suchlike, but it wouldn't bother me a bit of stupidity right now ^^

Anyway, if someone really wants to nick your bike of you, he will, even if he has to use a circular saw to do so.

I thank you guys for your answers,

Enjoy the ride

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:07 am

Shigeru wrote: Also, Maylands-Perth is not that far, so I thought as well of biking down to there instead of catching the train, and leave my next acquisition in the middle of a bunch of bike right in front of the security, double locked up and adding pink hearts and flowers on it (all right... maybe not the hearts :D ) How does that sound ? It will give me a good workout as well.

I'll check around, following your advice Colin, and check some pawnshops as well. I'll be very limited as I will use my legs to do so, but that's better than anything else, isn't it ?
the first part sounds good.
I bought an el cheapo bike to use for shopping these days. Then if it gets nicked I can replace it for next to nothing. However, I do have a pretty heavy duty wire cable and a grade 6 padlock for it. The padlock and chain nearly cost as much as the bike but so far no one has taken it :)

It's unlikely the pawnbrokers will get your bike. These days they have to hold all new acquisitions for 2 weeks before they can sell it. And they have to provide a list to the police of any and all new items that come in. Check them anyway but your bike is more likely to end up on ebay, over east, or at the markets.

The first week after my bikes got nicked I think I walked about 20km per day trying to find them and doing my normal running/ walking around :)
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

Shigeru

Postby Shigeru » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:57 am

Shigeru wrote:I bought an el cheapo bike to use for shopping these days. Then if it gets nicked I can replace it for next to nothing. However, I do have a pretty heavy duty wire cable and a grade 6 padlock for it. The padlock and chain nearly cost as much as the bike but so far no one has taken it :)
Good stuff ! I'll definitely use a killer padlock as well. Have you ever heard about a tracable system, such as an RFID chip or suchlike ? I'll do some research on the matter. Apparently, you have insurances to cover just your bike as well, thouh I haven't gone further than that into the subject.

Shigeru wrote: It's unlikely the pawnbrokers will get your bike. These days they have to hold all new acquisitions for 2 weeks before they can sell it. And they have to provide a list to the police of any and all new items that come in. Check them anyway but your bike is more likely to end up on ebay, over east, or at the markets.
Mmmh... That's good to know. How would you find information about market days and stuff ? I am not from Australia, and don't really know where they are held or even how to find out the informaton.
And a last question if you don't mind, in the case I find my bike on a market, what can I do, calling the police ? or settling the problem myself ? :twisted:

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:52 am

Shigeru wrote:
Shigeru wrote:It's unlikely the pawnbrokers will get your bike. These days they have to hold all new acquisitions for 2 weeks before they can sell it. And they have to provide a list to the police of any and all new items that come in. Check them anyway but your bike is more likely to end up on ebay, over east, or at the markets.
Mmmh... That's good to know. How would you find information about market days and stuff ? I am not from Australia, and don't really know where they are held or even how to find out the informaton.
And a last question if you don't mind, in the case I find my bike on a market, what can I do, calling the police ? or settling the problem myself ? :twisted:
Pawnbrokers may well have your bike, see this thread http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 33&t=18757
The answer to your last question is also in that thread, if you find someone with your bike they may not be the thief so call the police do not exact retribution.
Too old to live, too slow to die.

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi Shigeru

I have not heard of the traceable system but I have heard of data dot, which is the same thing they use on cars. But it is a bit costly and knowing the serial number of the bike does the same thing. However, it shouldn’t be hard to find an electronic tracking device that can be attached to the bike. Mind you we are in Western Australia so it could take a bit of time and patience trying to find someone to sell or make one for you :) I’m sure there is something available but it will most likely come from overseas or at least the other side of the country. Perhaps start a new thread asking if anyone knows about such a system.

There are a number of insurance companies that cover pushbikes. There should be a thread on the forum somewhere about different bicycle insurance companies and people’s experiences with them. I think there is one called “Real Insurance” and also “Velo Insurance” that both cover bikes. Google might be able to help out there. Also have a chat to your local bike shop and they might recommend one. Ask each insurance company lots of questions and get quotes from all of them. Many offer the same thing but there can be a huge variation in the amount you pay for the insurance and the amount you get covered for. Remember that any insurance must also cover the extras on your bike including lights, bells, saddle bag, water bottle, clothing and helmet that could also go with the bike.

Market days are usually on Saturday and Sunday. There are weekend markets held in Midland, Morley, Canningvale and a few other areas. Sometimes there are adverts for them on shopping centre billboards, (pin-up boards in the shopping centre), also local community newspapers, the Quokka newspaper sometimes has adds for them, as do many other newspapers, (normally in the classified section where people are selling stuff). You can also contact the local councils and ask them when and where the markets are being held.

If you do find your bike at the markets or at someone’s house, then contact the police straight away. In the case of the markets hang around the area and show interest in other things nearby. Basically you want to keep an eye on the seller and make sure he/she doesn’t pack up and leave while you are waiting for the police to attend.
Quite often there are police around the markets or nearby on patrol and it doesn’t take long for them to get there. But in the unlikely event of the seller packing up and starting to leave, get the local security personnel to come and detain the seller while you wait for police assistance. There are usually a number of security guards around the markets and they have the power to detain sellers (although not physically hold them) while police are called. Also if a security guard calls the police there is often a shorter response time by the police, (not that there should be but there usually is).

If there are no police and no security guards then show interest in the bike and stall for time. If that fails try to get a picture of the seller (mobile phone camera) and if possible a description of their vehicle and associated number plate. Then forward this info to the police.
Finally you can do what I did and buy the bike from the seller while you wait for the police. I bought the bike that had my bike’s front end as it cost a lot less than replacing those particular parts. I still have to get another bike but at least I have a front wheel :)
blkmcs wrote: Pawnbrokers may well have your bike, see this thread http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 33&t=18757
I never thought of a criminal using their own identification to sell stuff to the hockshops. I assumed they would use a fake id or not bother trying. Well I spose that supports my claims of most criminals are stupid, particularly if they use their own id to sell something that can be traced :)

Shigeru

Postby Shigeru » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Thanks Colin_T and blkmcs !!

It's good to have some support from you guys, and thanks again for taking the time to answer me. :D :D

I'll do what I need to do to find it back, and will take all the necessary precautions to be better armed for next time.

Have a great Easter weekend, and I'll hopefully see you in more interesting subjects,

Regards