Milo

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
wombatK

Re: Milo

Postby wombatK » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:24 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Ok please explain....
Milo has a GI of 55 (low) and a GL of 8.8 (low).
When mixed in full fat milk it has a GI of 36 (low) and a GL of 9.36 (low).
So where is the "helluva a blood glucose spike" going to come from?.

But I do agree that if you want to lose weight then skip it...just drink the milk.
I stand corrected - thanks TLL.

I assumed that anything that was 50% sugar would spike blood glucose - much like eating 1.5 teaspoons of sugar, and hadn't checked the GI database. There must be something happening with the milk buffering it (maybe the milk fat) to slow digestion - milo in water has a GI rating of 55. Think 55 means it only just scrapes over the line of being in the low GI range. If you were at all heavy-handed with the three teaspoons, you would be in the bad spike territory.

It might just qualify as "slow burning", but it is otherwise not a healthy option. Too many kJ for someone who's looking to lose weight

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:29 pm

600ml of skim milk with a couple of tablespoons of Milo is my recovery drink of choice. :D

And I have excellent backup - 600ml of skim milk with a couple of tablespoons of sugar is recommended by Joe Friel in his Mountain Biker's Training Bible for just that purpose. Protein and carbs in just the right amounts and proportions, apparently.

Works great, too. Just as effective, if not more effective, than those expensive "fitness" concoctions. I just add a good piece of fruit like a large banana or peach and I'm done from 8am 'til my regular morning tea time of 10:30-11am.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:43 pm

Is 3 Teaspoons really the end of the world? I don't eat chocolate frequently so is 3 teaspoons really the end of the world?

Come on...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Thanks for the info Gumby, I feel better for it.

Overall, I doubt a milo or two a day is a huge crime unless you're in serious training. If I didn't ride at all it'd be a big fat issue.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Thanks for the info Gumby, I feel better for it.

Overall, I doubt a milo or two a day is a huge crime unless you're in serious training. If I didn't ride at all it'd be a big fat issue.

Shaun
Two a day is way too many...

Seriously training for the Noosa Triathalon, as of Tuesday this week... 20 hours a week.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:51 pm

20 hours a week you could have one or two a day no problem...as to why you would be training 20 hours per week...well thats another matter.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:54 pm

Missy24 wrote:Two a day is way too many...

Seriously training for the Noosa Triathalon, as of Tuesday this week... 20 hours a week.
The full event or just the bike leg? Anyhoo, 20 a week on top of work and stuff, when you gonna sleep? Good sleep vital to good health.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:49 am

Full event

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:00 am

Mulger bill wrote:

The full event or just the bike leg? Anyhoo, 20 a week on top of work and stuff, when you gonna sleep? Good sleep vital to good health.

Shaun
24 hours in a day, take out 8 for work on 5 days, and 8 for sleep. Still leaves plenty of time for 2-3 hours training per day (one rest day per week) and balance on non-working days. 'specially if some of the 2 or 3 hours training per day is commute time.

Not that I'm about to do it - your a hard lass Row, go for it ! :)
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:03 am

Missy24 wrote:Is 3 Teaspoons really the end of the world? I don't eat chocolate frequently so is 3 teaspoons really the end of the world?

Come on...
Only if you're serious about losing the 15kg.

WombatK, It's "only" 22% sugars according to the list of ingredients, and most of that sugar (% not specified) is malt and maltodextrin. The first ingredient listed is "extract of malted barely and rice or wheat" at 35%. These sugars are lower GI than sucrose (which is also a listed ingredient).

Edit: I misread the label on the tin. Milo is 46% sugars. Damn obfuscation on nutritional labels .... :evil:

cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:52 am

Kalgrm wrote:
Missy24 wrote:Is 3 Teaspoons really the end of the world? I don't eat chocolate frequently so is 3 teaspoons really the end of the world?

Come on...
Only if you're serious about losing the 15kg.

WombatK, It's "only" 22% sugars according to the list of ingredients, and most of that sugar (% not specified) is malt and maltodextrin. The first ingredient listed is "extract of malted barely and rice or wheat" at 35%. These sugars are lower GI than sucrose (which is also a listed ingredient).

cheers,
Graeme
Is that 22% from a nutrition panel, if so I stand corrected.

Maybe it's a different product (e.g. American, or an old recipe) to the ones reported
at calorie king and AminoZ milo nutrition data, which is where my 50% figure comes from.

The MILO website states
The majority of the ‘sugar’ in a glass of MILO with milk comes from the lactose, naturally present in milk; over half in fact. The other sugars in MILO include maltose from malted barley, sucrose (table sugar) and galactose. In total, there is only about 3.8g of table sugar in a serving of MILO, which is less than one teaspoon.
3.8 g of table sugar might be less than one teaspoon of sugar, but I suspect the other ingredients in milo are lighter than sugar - so its hard to say from this what % is represents. Data presented in a Nutritrion Panel is more reliable - it has to be backed up by careful tests according to standards, and is usually the source used in websites such as the above. Could be that the product has been improved since the websites got their data.

The carbohydrate content is unlikely to be a problem with the volume of training Missy plans. And everyone has to have one or two vices.
WombatK

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:03 am

wombatK wrote: The MILO website states
The majority of the ‘sugar’ in a glass of MILO with milk comes from the lactose, naturally present in milk; <snip>
Ya gotta love what they say to sell their product. I reckon if you left the Milo out, you'd get 100% of the sugar in a glass of milk coming from lactose. :) In other words, adding Milo to your glass of milk doubles the sugar content of that glass of milk.

Missy, can you substitute cocoa for Milo? I don't mean the hot chocolate powder (which usually has a heap of sugar added) but straight cocoa powder. That will give you the chocolate taste and the beneficial nutrients in cocoa without adding significant sugar to your diet.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:08 am

Oops - sorry WombatK - I misread the nutritional label (as they wanted me to do). It's actually 46% sugars by weight. I'll go back and change my post above to correct my error. :oops:

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Fine.... no more Milo

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Mulger bill wrote:

Shaun
If your not aware already, I seriously don't have a life... I ride, I run, I work, I sleep, I eat... it works for me.

hannos

Postby hannos » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:09 pm

Kalgrm wrote: It's actually 46% sugars by weight.
I gotta get me some!
2010 BMC SLC01

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:37 pm

Missy24 wrote:Fine.... no more Milo
+1 on Graeme's cocoa recommendation - works for me. Note that Drinking Chocolate powder is basically a mix of 50% cocoa, 50% sugar. You've got to buy something like Cadbury's Bourneville Cocoa. I really don't need the sweetness - it's the cocoa I crave.
WombatK

philip

Postby philip » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:51 pm

3 teaspoons? I put 3 heaped tablespoons in my drinks when I get home from a big ride! I freakin' love the stuff!

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Why is sugar good as a recovery aid (Joe Friel)?

What about all the theories/facts (whatever they are) that sugar is a temporary feel good/booster/recovery agent followed by a downward trend.

And where does milo fit into that?

Yeah, it tastes nice.

Then what?

I'm confused. :?

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:17 pm

ireland57 wrote:What about all the theories/facts (whatever they are) that sugar is a temporary feel good/booster/recovery agent followed by a downward trend.
The "downward trend" definitely doesn't exist when taking sugar (or other carbohydrates) after exercise, and possibly doesn't even exist at all. You need carbohydrates after exercise. Need.
- Dave

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Skip the milo, just eat Fruit Tingles

yum yum!

Sugar, ya can't get enough of it imo :)
2010 BMC SLC01

JoJoRoo

Postby JoJoRoo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:23 am

Hey Missy,

Have you considered swapping the Milo for a protein shake? Then you still get your milk and a nice chocolately drink (although I doubt your work is kind enough to provide it for free...). I use Horley's Sculpt (not trying to advertise) but it's a female specific protein powder made from soy & whey protein. It doesn't have any metabolism boosters or the like but it tastes good and apparently most people don't get enough protein in their diets. Plus it allegedly makes you feel fuller for longer, is good for your muscles and should maintain your blood sugar levels.

Regardless, if you're doing 20 hours of exercise a week I'm pretty sure you've earnt a milo or two. I smash loads of chocolate and I do less than half of that!! However if you're concerned about calorie intake & weight loss I think protein would be a better alternative than milo.

HTH! And you're training regime sounds super impressive. Good luck!

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:41 pm

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:
ireland57 wrote:What about all the theories/facts (whatever they are) that sugar is a temporary feel good/booster/recovery agent followed by a downward trend.
The "downward trend" definitely doesn't exist when taking sugar (or other carbohydrates) after exercise, and possibly doesn't even exist at all. You need carbohydrates after exercise. Need.

Yep, I get that bit.

Is there not a difference between carbohydrates and "sugar" though?

Is having a banana/s or pasta, whatever, better than having an artificially sweetened something or other? Or is there no difference?

USM TOM

Postby USM TOM » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:44 pm

JoJoRoo wrote:
Regardless, if you're doing 20 hours of exercise a week I'm pretty sure you've earnt a milo or two.
!
for sure

when i was training 10 hours a week i would have a big milo after a ride and smash up 1/2 a box of shapes or more and i was a massive 61kg :)
now i dont ride, i swim about 4-5 hours a week and still smash the food down and am now holding at a moremal 66kg.

i think on my power meter i was burning roughly 700-800 cals a hour on my bike so a milo or 10 wont hurt if your doing 20 hours of training

EDIT
i do remember from my gym days that a high GI drink with protein after a workout is ideal for muscle recovery.something to to with the insulin spike interacting with the protein

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:02 am

I regularly drink half a mug of milo, half a mug of milk. Eat it up with a spoon. Yum!
I've lost 15kilo in 8 months from cycling. Am now 76kg from 91kg. 5 foot 10.
Only exercise is 15km cycling each way to/from work a day.
You can still have milo and lose weight :mrgreen: