Ok, sell me a bike... Tourer, MBT or Roadie?

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:02 am

Mulger bill wrote:Stryker, if you're looking at doing any distances, steer clear of the STP range, they are big BMXs, great for the track or an urban session, but heavy and the ergonomics aren't the greatest for extended use.
Not saying they aren't ultra cute or you wouldn't have a ball on one, but consider your dirt riding options carefully before buying something so focused.

~2c

Shaun
OP wasn't me mate, twas McPete. :wink:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:16 am

:oops:
Sorry Stryker and Pete.

Still worth thinking about tho'.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

timbo

Postby timbo » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:28 am

McPete, you have confused me a bit. You started off saying that the roadie would be the workhorse and the tourer would be the go fast machine. I think that should be the other way around. The MTB could easily become the jack of all trades bike, but a go-fast weekend bike? Maybe with a set of slicks, but its a pain to swap tyres all the time, so your option their is a second wheelset, but that may blow the budget.
Have a think about do you really intend to mount panniers and a rack. On some bikes that is just not possible, so this narrows the field down straight away.
Is there one which can do it all? Who knows. The answer is yes, but with compromises in one area or another depending on the type of bike you end up buying.
I have three bikes but would like another which suits my type of riding better than the bikes I've got, and I'm sure there are situations where another type of bike again would be more suitable, but its my old steel framed road bike which gets the nod over the newer alloy framed road bike and the hardtail MTB as the all rounder. I just accept its limitations over things like dirt roads and ride over them anyway.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:56 am

I think you could afford a Giant Reign if you want a downhill bike. I'm not sure where the cheapest one comes in but I think it's sub $2000.

I'd take a Reign over an STP unless you're going to the skate park with it.