Trike Idler pully

Mitcon

Trike Idler pully

Postby Mitcon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi folks, I

've got a JC70 Performer trike (same as Actionbent T1) and the idler and tube guides got destroyed. So I was wondering if anyone knew of a good unit that fits but is a upgrade. Here's a pic of the original type

Anyone think a dual pulley system would be better/easy to fit ?
----------------------------
Cheers
Wayne

John Lewis

Re: Trike Idler pully

Postby John Lewis » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:10 pm

I've used idlers from Greenspeed. They work well. You would probably need to fabricate a mount for the guides if it is damaged. I make the idler tubes from 13mm or so black plastic irrigation tube from Bunnings.

You need to straighten it. I plug an end. Hang it up with a weight at the end and fill with boiling water. You can use a heat gun too with care.

I heat the ends over a gas flame and push the end of a plumb bob in to flare the ends.

I've made them this way for years and they all work well on the different trikes and bikes.

JohnLewis

just4tehhalibut

Re: Trike Idler pully

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:28 am

What's wrong with laying the black tube on a hot concrete driveway with a brick on each end? (besides that we're running out of hot days)

Besides Greenspeed you may also try Trisled and Ian at Flying Furniture (as he sells Bacchettas and they use a dual idler system). You can even try making them yourself. Whatever way you go you'll need to buy either bearings or the finished product according to the axle or shaft that they fit onto, unless this was damaged too and you're making something different. By this I mean that the Internal Diameter of the bearing needs to be only a smidge greater than the Outside Diameter of whatever this all fits onto, if the ID is a lot greater than the OD then you'll need to pack the shaft, if the ID is smaller than the OD then you bought the wrong product and need to go shopping again.

Edit: These are on the WISIL projects page about making idlers. Do so at your own risk, I have better equipment such as a lathe and milling machine to do this.
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/Idler/leger_idler.htm
http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/idler/idler.htm
And strangely enough I got the solid plastic rod offcuts to make the idlers from a bearing shop, you don't have to mug some kid in the park for his skateboard wheels.