what is this mystery track bike/singlespeed? pic heavy

Jungle Fever!

what is this mystery track bike/singlespeed? pic heavy

Postby Jungle Fever! » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi.

so last week I took some stuff to the dump & this bike 'somehow' made is way into the back of my car while I was there.

The frame has many coats of spray paint & primer on it so I am unsure of the original colour, I sanded some areas back & red appears on the fork, seattube & down tube. but I am unsure of the original colour.

When you flick the frame it has a very nice ring to it & almost feels as if the tubing ia as thin as the SL tubing on my rossin, I also felt the inside of the seattube & there is no join/seam in the tube so my guess is that it's atleast something decent.

the top of the b/b shell on the driveside has a raised number '15' in it & the serial number is stamped on the bottom of the b/b & reads 2i04. it has a grease port on the non drive side of the b/b & someone has also dodgyly drilled the bridge themselves.

the bike is equipped with.
cinelli bars
milremo stem
stronglight nicklin cranks
Pelissier modelle plume (plume translates to feather) hubs with weinmann 27x1 rims with double butted spokes
regina freewheel on one side & a fixed cog on the other side.

my questions are, what is is & who made it? is it purely a track bike or a path racer also? has anyone else seen this particular model crank before?

Jungle Fever!

Re: what is this mystery track bike/singlespeed? pic heavy

Postby Jungle Fever! » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:01 pm

dang!! the photos are too big,

LG

Postby LG » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:09 pm

Jungle Fever! wrote:has anyone else seen this particular model crank before?
Nice find!!!!!

Looks like the bottom bracket (or spindle) may be stronglight but cranks Nicklin. I have a similar Nicklin drive side crank here, but know nothing about it.
LG = Low Gear

cludence

Postby cludence » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Great find! It looks prewar to me. I dont know what make but it would have been reasonably decent in its time with the lugs cut as they are.

Looks like some of the parts are newer. (Bars, stem) I dont know anything about Nicklin crank arms. I also have some here but only the non drive side.

I love the wheels. Should you ever wish to part with them, let me know. I would be interested in buying them.

Karen.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:05 pm

looks like a "fixie", bits and pieces put together to make a fixed gear bike, forks bent, not a "path racer" as not early 1900's, looks too long in the wheelbase to be a track frame so Id guess a road frame, try removing the paint laver by layer and see what you find

LG

Postby LG » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:16 am

cludence wrote: I dont know anything about Nicklin crank arms. I also have some here but only the non drive side.
Would you like a drive side crank to go with yours? From memory mine has a non-removable chainring.
LG = Low Gear

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:46 am

Torana68 wrote:looks like a "fixie", bits and pieces put together to make a fixed gear bike, forks bent, not a "path racer" as not early 1900's, looks too long in the wheelbase to be a track frame so Id guess a road frame, try removing the paint laver by layer and see what you find
I dont know if the forks are necessarily bent. The headset is loose. If they are, dont throw them as there are a few frame builders who will reuse the ends of the forks as they are an early style.
LG wrote:
cludence wrote: I dont know anything about Nicklin crank arms. I also have some here but only the non drive side.
Would you like a drive side crank to go with yours? From memory mine has a non-removable chainring.
Lol, I was hoping you might have wanted the non drive side. Dont ask me why but I have several of them. If you dont have a need for it I will take it, but if you have a use for it, then I am happy to post it to you.

Jungle Fever!

Postby Jungle Fever! » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:10 pm

na, the forks arent bent, it's just from the angle of the photo, it does have wrong parts in the headset, someone has put a lower crownrace at the top & i'm pretty sure it has the wrong bottom race also plus it is missing bearings.
I have a frame here with the correct headset that I will take the parts from this morning.
I wonder what it is, it is much lighter & feels alot thinner compared the other 40s-50s frames that I have here.

it measures too big for me which is a pitty, I'd like to keep it but I'm not sure if I will as I don't have much storage space left,

so you guys think its more like an early road racer than a track bike.

MinervaTIM

Postby MinervaTIM » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:38 am

Hi, it is an Minerva Luxe Bike. I've exactly the same. Weinmann wheels and plume hubs,
it got all the parts mixed from Italy and France but Frame came from Belgium.
Sry for my Germanenglish greetz from Berlin

Stepr

Postby Stepr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:56 pm

COuld well be late 30s early 40s vintage.

I have a old bike made by Freebody cycles in Queanbeyan (1920s-late 30s), has exactly the same style of forks and drop outs, lugs etc, probably built from readily available parts at the time. could be Accles & pollack tubing (at least mine is). If it is you may see that on the fork steerer tube.

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Stepr wrote:COuld well be late 30s early 40s vintage. I have a old bike made by Freebody cycles in Queanbeyan (1920s-late 30s), has exactly the same style of forks and drop outs, lugs etc, probably built from readily available parts at the time. could be Accles & pollack tubing (at least mine is). If it is you may see that on the fork steerer tube.
really old thread, user no longer around.........don't know that Freebodys made bikes but they were the Speedwell agent, post some picks up in a new thread
Roger
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"