Bike Blitz this morning...

rearviewmirror

Bike Blitz this morning...

Postby rearviewmirror » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:44 am

Did anyone else see the officers on bicycles pulling cyclists who appeared to be running the red lights between Icehouse and Costco on Docklands Hwy?

hannos

Re: Bike Blitz this morning...

Postby hannos » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:24 am

Can only be a good thing.
If motorists see the police enforcing the rules for cyclists it gives them no reason to b*tch and complain.
2010 BMC SLC01

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:25 am

"Book 'im Danno...."

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:04 am

were the police on motorbikes or pushbikes?
if they were on pushbikes you could always get into a high speed chase with them and see how fit they are :)
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:07 am

Colin_T wrote:were the police on motorbikes or pushbikes?
if they were on pushbikes you could always get into a high speed chase with them and see how fit they are :)

Pedal bikes... three of them.... Would be considered evading if you ran? I wonder if they have bicycle spike strips.

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:58 am

rearviewmirror wrote:
Colin_T wrote:were the police on motorbikes or pushbikes?
Pedal bikes... three of them.... Would be considered evading if you ran? I wonder if they have bicycle spike strips.
LOL, I'm not sure they would be allowed to use them in case you fell off afterwards. Either that or there would be a huge bang as the 110psi tyre gets blown out and everyone hits the dirt coz they think it's gunfire :)

If you had something in your ears (ie: listening to music) you wouldn't be able to hear them chasing after you going wee wah wee wah :) It would give you an excuse as to why you didn't stop. And then they would still have to catch you first.
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

WorkingClassHero

Postby WorkingClassHero » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:07 pm

What time was that? I rode through at around 7:30 and didn't see them.

Did see a few cyclists running the lights though. Serves them right to get booked.
Alan

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:51 pm

WorkingClassHero wrote:What time was that? I rode through at around 7:30 and didn't see them.

Did see a few cyclists running the lights though. Serves them right to get booked.
i rode through around 7:40-7:50 and there was three coppers on bikes. You should have seen the epic skidz people did when they were about to run the light then realized the po po was sitting there. I wonder how many cyclists were pulled this morning. Running lights is a risk to your health and a violation of the law. If you're going to do it, hopefully it's the law that catches up with you, and not the health risk.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:08 pm

it's the bit across the off ramp from the Tulla (adjacent to the rail yards) that they should be enforcing - people cross that and get caught out by the light changing to Green. i've seen a few near misses there.

seriously though, some of those ped lights are ridiculous - the duration is unnecessarily short and some of them are ped only - legally we're not allowed to even ride across them.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:29 pm

Didn't go home that way this morning 8)

I got no problem with 'em pulling nuffies.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:22 pm

I had an amusing (at my expense :oops: ) incident in a shopping centre car park while away up the coast with the kids this week past.

I was approaching a T-intersection on the through lane, and a ute pulled up on my left. I kept riding ... and then noticed that there were no "Give Way" signs facing him ... and the white line had been blacked over on the road in front of him ... and then that the signs had in fact been facing me. :shock:

"Oh, shoot!" I hoed on the hydraulic anchors in a panic stop a bike length or two past where I should have pulled up, offering a red-faced apology/excuse to the guy in the ute that I hadn't registered the signs. He chuckled at me and drove off, and I realised I'd been assuming instead of observing. :oops:

Fortunately, it ended well. :oops: :oops: :oops:

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:33 am

trailgumby wrote:Fortunately, it ended well.
Looks like the black cat has forgiven you!

alexander

Postby alexander » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:23 pm

on southbank fri night, on the junction of the flinders st station ped bridge, around 5.45, two coppers (in that fugly pale blue outfit, anyone else think Australia has one of the worst police uniforms?! but I digress), pulling anyone up for the easier to see, no lights and no helmets offence.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

Marlin 3030

Postby Marlin 3030 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:56 pm

trailgumby wrote:I had an amusing (at my expense :oops: ) incident in a shopping centre car park while away up the coast with the kids this week past.

I was approaching a T-intersection on the through lane, and a ute pulled up on my left. I kept riding ... and then noticed that there were no "Give Way" signs facing him ... and the white line had been blacked over on the road in front of him ... and then that the signs had in fact been facing me. :shock:

"Oh, shoot!" I hoed on the hydraulic anchors in a panic stop a bike length or two past where I should have pulled up, offering a red-faced apology/excuse to the guy in the ute that I hadn't registered the signs. He chuckled at me and drove off, and I realised I'd been assuming instead of observing. :oops:

Fortunately, it ended well. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I LOATHE this.

Shops near me do this as well. T-intersection with the top part of the T having to give way. If I'm ever in a bingle there I'll take it to court and say that the Australian Standard is the bottom part to give way.

Lucky you didn't come a cropper
Kona - Blast Delux

"a house full of stuff that I hardly notice, ..."

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:23 am

I saw two police officers on their MTB's heading down Stanbrook street this afternoon. I saw a couple of them yesterday in Fairfield. They seem to be out and about a bit more at the moment.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Mat_H

Postby Mat_H » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:37 am

I welcome a police crackdown on cyclists. If we want respect we must show respect. I am in Perth and I see very, very few cyclists obeying stop signs or traffic lights and they are quick with the abuse if anyone says anything. They give us all a bad name.

rogan

Postby rogan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Shops near me do this as well. T-intersection with the top part of the T having to give way. If I'm ever in a bingle there I'll take it to court and say that the Australian Standard is the bottom part to give way.
Well yeah, but the signs beat the standard every time (which IMO applies only where there is no sign - which is really saying the same thing a different way).

More to the point, forget about the standard, other road users are entitled to ride or drive to the road as marked.

Local drivers may know about the signage or see the back of the sign facing your way and the white line where you are meant to stop or give way to them. They are entitled to drive around on the basis that traffic coming from that arm gives way to them (or stops). The only thing worse than getting run down by some motorist, is getting run down by a motorist and being clearly in the wrong.

Also, my tip in that sitch - don't bother with the court case. You'll lose.