How to get the wife into cycling?

hanzao

How to get the wife into cycling?

Postby hanzao » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:19 am

OK ladies what made you get into cycling, because I would like to get my wife into cycling. I am thinking of letting her ride my Oppy first and later on by her a Cervelo RS.
Cervelo 2012 R5 VWD SRAM Red
TimeTrials Felt B12
Northern Beaches Cycling Facebook

Missy24

Re: How to get the wife into cycling?

Postby Missy24 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Have you asked her if its something that she'd like to try? What was her response?

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Missy24 wrote:Have you asked her if its something that she'd like to try? What was her response?
Her response ... ... ... that nothing.. wait let me try really hard to remember, it was "sure", she gets on the S2 on the trainer, pedals a few times and gets off, goes seat is pretty high and it feels uncomfortable.

So now i have setup the Oppy on the trainer and will adjust the seat in a few days, been busy at our place.

(before i adjust the Oppy seat i need to note down the height of the seat)
TimeTrials Felt B12

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:33 pm

make it fun for her. Both ride to somewhere, eat lunch and then home. Or just a pleasure ride. increase the time on a bike without making it a chore for her. trainers can be boring if its not seen as fun.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Get her a pair of knicks... even if she never uses them again, she'll feel better on the saddle.

Get her a women's specific saddle, you can afford those two bikes so go out and get her set up so she's comfotable. maybe even change the pedals for her so she can try it outside around a park or something.

Relax the bike seat height a bit, probably a bit less than it should be, it can go up a bit later, its all about control in the begining and feeling comfortable.

I wanted to ride a road bike, so I set about learning to ride a road bike, I got on and I was scared cause of the skinny tyres, and I didn't realise it would be so eary to turn the bike... make it easy for her by getting her comfortable with kit, you can always sell it if she doesn't like it.

JoJoRoo

Postby JoJoRoo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:40 pm

I agree with cp123 and Missy. Make it easy, comfortable and fun. I got into riding because I bought a bike that fitted me, was comfortable and easy to ride and then initially went on some (easy!) lovely rolls around town with good company. The focus was on pleasure not on 'cycling'. I'm sure the cycling will come with time if your wife enjoys it but make it a pleasure for her not a chore.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Start flirting with female cyclists.

Talk about how they have cute buts in their knicks.

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:20 pm

:S duno what i just did... but i just did it, ordered paid for a 48cm Cervelo RS frame for the wife.. going to re-use the parts from the Oppy.
TimeTrials Felt B12

master6

Postby master6 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Missy24 wrote:Have you asked her if its something that she'd like to try? What was her response?
Yes, I have asked her that question a few times. Has not gone down well.

hung

Postby hung » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:35 pm

I got my wife the exact same bike as mine so that way she doesn't feel left out or a better one

I made sure we would go out and ride which included a stop at a nice cafe

if we went MTB riding I made sure I carry everything including her water and spares so it as easier for her through the single tracks etc

and if I saw she was struggling on the hills I would stop and push both bikes up it
Colnago C59 for the long road
Cervelo S2 for the short road
GT Carbon Pro for the mountain
Kono Kula deluxe / slicks for the foot paths
Cannondale dually for the big stuff

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:43 pm

My wife used to rip it pretty hard on the dirt...then one day she came down really hard on a rock and had a bruise on her thigh bigger than a dinner plate.After that she lost interest...she still has a rather nice XT/XTR equiped MTB sitting down stairs but hasn't touched it for years.
Shame as at 55 kilos her power to weight was fantastic!...maybe we should of stuck to gentle fire roads instead of rocky single track :roll: ...or I shouldn't have introduced her to SPD's.

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Take one look at its tall head tube and then let's discuss exactly what the Cervélo RS is not. It's not a "comfort" bike. It's not a "century" bike. It's not a "sport touring" bike. It's a throw-down, haul-ass road racing bike which is why it was the bike used by the entire Cervélo Test Team for the 2009 Paris-Roubaix
lol

For one to conquer oneself is the first and noblest of all victories!

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Get her a pair of knicks... even if she never uses them again, she'll feel better on the saddle.
:S duno what i just did... but i just did it, ordered paid for a 48cm Cervelo RS frame for the wife.

:shock: I would have taken Missy's advice and stuck with the knicks
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

hung

Postby hung » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:56 pm

toolonglegs wrote: ...or I shouldn't have introduced her to SPD's.
I tried that once

first ride she fell and stratch he brand new 3K hardtail

man was I pissed :wink:
Colnago C59 for the long road
Cervelo S2 for the short road
GT Carbon Pro for the mountain
Kono Kula deluxe / slicks for the foot paths
Cannondale dually for the big stuff

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:51 pm

ve safari wrote:
Take one look at its tall head tube and then let's discuss exactly what the Cervélo RS is not. It's not a "comfort" bike. It's not a "century" bike. It's not a "sport touring" bike. It's a throw-down, haul-ass road racing bike which is why it was the bike used by the entire Cervélo Test Team for the 2009 Paris-Roubaix
lol
I am not too sure what to make of that quote but if you know what the Paris-Roubaix course is then you know why someone would choose the RS to do it over any other bike. Comfort bike? like leisure bike? nope anything with the tag Cervelo is not classified as leisure, if I wanted leisure i would of gotten a MTB and some fat spring saddles. The RS is the best bike for bumps or
rough terrain and cobblestones
from the Cervelo brand. For $1800 for a frame and i just transfer everything else from the Oppy gives me a pretty sweet Cervelo RS Ultegra bike.

I am trying to organize a group ride with all my friends, small cafe ride or along the swan river. The RS is around 1kg weight so she wont be needing to put in too much effort in riding.

There is no point of nicks if the bike doesn't fit, she will get all sh**** from discomfort but then she can borrow one of my nicks.
TimeTrials Felt B12

eucryphia

Postby eucryphia » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Hanzao, try this, it might just work... :wink:

Starting on a weekend, insist on doing all the housework for a week, pay particular attention to all the pointless stuff like making the bed in the morning. Listen carefully if you are given instructions and follow them. Start with cleaning the toilet, after that you should always sit down to pee.

On the following saturday morning, if you have any strength left and are able to get out of bed, take her cycling on a quiet street to a nice cafe and shout her lunch.

I reckon she'll be really keen to go cycling the next weekend... :lol:

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Yes I know what Paris - Roubaix is. I've ridden some of it personally.

The point of the quote is that in the space of one week after asking how to get your wife interested in cycling, you've gone and bought a balls out racing bike. I find that funny.

ve safari

Postby ve safari » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:40 pm

BTW - Please don;t think I'm judging you or being negative! Was just thinking of my own personal situation - I'd love for wifey to come riding with me, however if I bought her a Cervelo she'd blow up!

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:26 pm

eucryphia wrote:Hanzao, try this, it might just work... :wink:

Starting on a weekend, insist on doing all the housework for a week, pay particular attention to all the pointless stuff like making the bed in the morning. Listen carefully if you are given instructions and follow them. Start with cleaning the toilet, after that you should always sit down to pee.

On the following saturday morning, if you have any strength left and are able to get out of bed, take her cycling on a quiet street to a nice cafe and shout her lunch.

I reckon she'll be really keen to go cycling the next weekend... :lol:
LOL sucks if I do most of that already. but cleaning the toilet.. don't know about that, but i brush/clean it after i do a number 2 every time does that count? and yeah i am sit down and pee person. I think she got me well trained already. Also we are going to Europe in September for a month, so maybe if we need to cycle she would have some form of confidence to ride.
ve safari wrote:BTW - Please don;t think I'm judging you or being negative! Was just thinking of my own personal situation - I'd love for wifey to come riding with me, however if I bought her a Cervelo she'd blow up!
I have been asking her for a while but more of a on/off thing so its not like i am pushing, i bring it up time to time in a light manner.
yah no probs but my wife won't know the difference between the brands, hopefully all she would appreciate is the pros of the frame and that i gave up my Oppy C6 so she can have a bike :) and plus it was on "SALE".
TimeTrials Felt B12

Supe

Postby Supe » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:41 pm

ve safari wrote:BTW - Please don;t think I'm judging you or being negative! Was just thinking of my own personal situation - I'd love for wifey to come riding with me, however if I bought her a Cervelo she'd blow up!
A Cervelo eh? Wouldn't that be better than your current ride? If so, protocol demands you buy an even blingier bike. :mrgreen:

fleecedog

Postby fleecedog » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:13 pm

hanzao wrote: There is no point of nicks if the bike doesn't fit, she will get all sh**** from discomfort but then she can borrow one of my nicks.
Woah woah woah hang on there for a mo-

as a long time female lurker whose boyfriend got her into cycling, I can tell you that never, EVER overlook the importance of comfort in the saddle for a woman. I swear it is the biggest turn off ever, and I MEAN it. But then again, when I first got into cycling, the value of the Cervelo would've been lost on me too so I'm glad I went for a entry-level roadie.

When I first hopped onto my Scott Contessa (a gift from him) the pain of wearing crap shorts in a saddle which didn't suit me was like some sort of medieval torture. For a few days I was seriously questioning whether the sport was for me. I didn't want to disappoint the BF by telling him that so I persisted, did some research and in the end insisted on new shorts with a good quality chamois and a new saddle so we shopped around until I got comfy on the roadie and viola, it's been a lovestory and obsession ever since.

Now, a few thousand bucks, a lot of Assos from Ebay, two new saddles, some brand new Sidis (the list goes on and on) and a new Orbea later, I can safely say that I am a convert and a fanatic and pester him to go out on rides with me. It's been the BEST thing that has happened to me and my relationship - if he hadn't gotten me into cycling, dunno what I would be doing now and would've truly missed out on something wonderful, not to mention, cycling really does do wonders for the relationship out of the saddle too if you get my drift.

O and just a tip, be patient when you're out with her. Don't mock her for being slow or give her constant criticisms and tips and instructions on what she's doing right and wrong and etc. Just go out there and enjoy the ride together. Encouragement is the key!

So..Good luck with cycling with your wife. It truly such a rewarding experience and I really hope she enjoys it as much as I do. If it doesn't work out, I'll be more than happy to take the Cervelo off your hands. :D -drool-

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:23 pm

yeah i was looking at the Assos nicks for ladies from wiggle, i think that was my next stop and asking the LBS for some entry shoes.

What i was thinking was

Frame -> move parts from C6 -> bike shop built -> wife fitted -> shoes/saddle (i would get the saddle/shoes online but its so hard to tell which one would be the correct one so I will guess i will get the shoes/saddles from the LBS) -> nicks (Assos)
TimeTrials Felt B12

fleecedog

Postby fleecedog » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:36 pm

Yup you can't go wrong with Assos - they're by far and away the best things I've ever worn, worth every penny paid. Personally I wasted quite a lot of money buying bibs that weren't that comfortable when I should've just gone for the best. Then again, I wait around on Ebay and paid very little (well, considerably less) than what you'd get on Wiggle.

Hmm I'd be a bit wary about introducing her to clipless and a road bike if she hasn't ridden for ages or isn't too keen on the idea of riding. I stacked many a times before I got the hang of it having never been on a bike, let alone a roadie for years and years. A few hard stacks and a few bruises and she may be turned off. Maybe get some el cheapo pedals and forget about the shoes for the time being until she gets used to the sensation of actually riding a road bike since it's so different, and once she's used to it, upgrade!

If not, then definitely take her to the park and let her learn on grass, that's how I did it and came away from clipstacks with no injuries or bruised ego.

With the saddle, I actually went around to LBS to try them out since the stock one on the Contessa was no good and neither was the one on my Orbea Diva. Besides, maybe the LBS will let you return/exchange the saddle if it doesn't work out. I actually went on Ebay again for the saddle because the LBS carries very little women specific saddles and got lucky - if it didn't work then I'd just re-sell it.

BTW probably not important but matching gear/bikes are a great incentive to get your partner cycling!

hanzao

Postby hanzao » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:43 pm

i wont rush her into it, will see how it goes... have to wait for the frame first.. coming from the US.
TimeTrials Felt B12

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:43 am

Hanzo aka cervelo boy, I think your doing a really nice thing for your wife, to go to all that effort, even though we know your getting kicks out of buying another bike!!!

Clipless pedals... why are people so reluctant for women to use them, I also see so many women who seem to be intimidated by them, thinking ohhh I can't do that. Put the bike on the trainer and let her practise, then do it in the drive way, then when your riding with her make sure your close enough to help her if she does fall... it doesn't hurt that much, just don't laugh if you think she'll be sensitive about it.

Oh and about the clothing... do ask her if she likes i before you buy it.