Moving to Melbourne - where should we live?

bella26

Moving to Melbourne - where should we live?

Postby bella26 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:39 pm

Well dealing with small town politics has finally done both of our heads in so my partner and I are thinking of a move back to the city. We had originally thought of giving Canberra a go given it is only 2 hours away from where we presently live in the Snowies but have decided Melbourne would suit us better. Victoria seems to be where it's at for all things cycling related and a move to a place where we could get amongst it so to speak is quite appealing. Of course I thought I'd pose the question to fellow cycling forumites and ask your advice on where we should move to in Melbourne. What places are nice what places are best avoided that sort of thing. Of course we would consider living a little bit out of Melbourne and then commuting in for work...what is public transport like down there as we don't fancy a commute on two wheels just yet.

Any advice is much appreciated...and hopefully I"ll get to ride with you guys sometime soon...

Bella :D
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

master6

Re: Moving to Melbourne - where should we live?

Postby master6 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Have you ever been to Sunny Hobart? Cycling here is magnificent.

bella26

Postby bella26 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:54 pm

master6 wrote:Have you ever been to Sunny Hobart? Cycling here is magnificent.
Used to live in the north of Tas so spent a bit of time down Hobart way briefly for Uni. Would love to move back down that way but job prospects unfortunately aren't the best in the apple isle. On the bright side moving to Melbourne is one step closer!! :D
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi Bella26,

I hope you've been saving your pennies. Property prices are going nuts here at the moment.

The Broadmeadows line has recently been extended to Craigieburn. You can still get 3 bedder there on a reasonable block for $350K to $400K. Downside is that it'd be a 40km bike ride to the CBD...

If you can afford more than that, but don't necessarily want to pay for a postcode, then the inner north/north western suburbs are still relatively good value.

Cheers from a possible future neighbour! :lol:

Rob.

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:34 pm

For cycling I'd go bayside.

Otherwise, innerish Eastern burbs for me, Hawthorn ideally....
*** insert signature here ***

elmo

Postby elmo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Stay out of Sunshine. I live there.

Are you looking to rent or buy property? How much is your budget?

BEASEA

Postby BEASEA » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:48 pm

i hear the sat morning hell ride is something to experience.

BEASEA

Postby BEASEA » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:58 pm

did 30 years bayside around chelsea area until property prices went UP. Moved inland a little to skye/lyndhurst before moving up north to the GC a little over twelve months ago. Lyndhurst had good freeway access north and south, reasonable price for purchase or rent. Roads for cycling were a bit hairy in the area at the time with not too many bike lanes. Very new area was quiet back then may have changed since though. Good Luck with the move!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:09 pm

In general, west and north west is flatter than east/south. Bayside has it's attractions but so does the Dandenong/Macedon ranges foothills.
Public transport is poor in many of the newer areas.

Elmo's right about Sunshine, too much neglect over the years interspersed with poorly planned "renewals".

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:11 pm

Let me be the first to say AWESOME 8) I got a coffee shop tour that I'll take you on!

Lets discuss suburbs.

Bayside.. most cant actually afford the live there unless they rent, apartments are small and you dont get great value for monry, but in Melbourne, location is everything. And its not about the cycling, there obviously looking at starting new careers and lifes, so somewhere practicle and affordable is probably the place we should suggest, but I'll give you the run down of what what in Melbourne.

Melbourne itself... its mainly high rises and a few converted warehouses... not cheap your look at $200.00 per week for a studio apartment!!!! But living in the city can be rather inexpensive.

Lets talk my fav place, South Yarra, Toorak and Windsor... Toorak fondly known as Track is for the rich, but its close to South Yarra and Windsor... the lifestyle in South Yarra and Windsor is different, most of the people I know who live there are able to make enough money to choose when they work, there is also the small minority who can't afford to pay there rent so they dont eat. Close to the city which is great, excellent public transport, your on the Yarra and close to the Botanical and 3 very good cafe's... Outpost and Orange and another place where the name escapes me. You also have Lynch's which is excellent for breakfast, an awesome chocolate shop, two cinema's on Chapel Street and shopping to your hearts content!!! Hawthorn is full of students, lots of international students...

Brunswick... its cheapish up here, rent is mostly affordable, app 4km from the CBD, you have at least 3 tram lines and 1 train line, the first half of Sydney Road is Italian... the next half is kind of Arabish, that being said I don't go past the local YMCA, any further up Sydney Road and I feel uncomfortable, also consider Coburg, East Brunswick, Carlton, North Carlton, North Melbourne, Moonee Ponds... these are all acceptable and nice suburbs to live in... the rent is affordable, Brunswick should hit an average price of 800k in the next 12 months, frankly if you don't already own a home you're much better of renting somewhere where you would like to live and buying an investment in the outer suburbs to rent out... lets face it, nobody wants to live at the end of a train line!

Suburbs that are a bit further out where the rent is acceptable and the transport is good include anything on the Hurtbridge trainline, suggest you don't go past Rosanna, stay away from Preston, West Heidelberg. Hedelberg is very nice (expensive to buy/affordable to rent), Eaglemont (spare million), Ivanhoe (affordable rent), Fairfield (lovely and you should get an appartment there to buy at a reasonable price and rent is reasonable as well, Clifton Hill is expensive to buy but the rent is good.

Camberwell is nice, yet all the fancy private schools are in the area so it starts to get a bit much, East Malvern is actually affordable as is Malvern (to rent not buy).

Places to stay away from, unless you enjoy the cookie cutter lifestyle of wife and husband, stay away from the suburbs, any further than 10km out and its just a dissapointment (unless I previously mentioned it), and that being said Kinglake, Hurstbridge and the Dandenongs are all acceptable suburbs, yet travelling time would be terrible, you would most likely be in the same situation as you are now.

Stay away from the West, yes Footscray will go through the roof property wise in the next 5 years (this is my educated guess and with the development that I was invovled in out that way is anything to go by then I'm right), its rough out there, its dull, its boring, its a down right YAWN.

If you are within 10km of the CBD, you have huge amounts of free entertainment, great food, excellent markets, restaurants, parks, galleries, festivals, libraries, transport... you have choices.

Nobody actually wants to live in the suburbs (yes I assum every shares my opinion)

Hope that helps...

Oh if there isn't a tram or a train then its too far... buses are annoying. But if the train is more than 10km forget it... actually I think 10km is too generous, make it 8km out for all suburbs except the Hurstbridge line, that has got to be the most decent direction in Melbourne.

Oh and elmo is right.. sunshine isn't a place to live oh and if the culture of the area is related to a shopping centre like for example, highpoint, doncaster, chadstone, eastlands, northlands... then don't bother, just gonna be a heap of fully sick kids in their commodores looking for trouble and to piss of cyclists, no good comes from that!

FYI: Brunswick.. the one place in Melbourne where it doesn't matter who you are or what you do... there's no judgement up here.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:19 pm

Missy24 wrote:there's no judgement up here.
Says she who just finished stereotyping the entire metropolitan area! :lol:

Had enough coffee tonight Missy?

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:23 pm

rkelsen wrote:
Missy24 wrote:there's no judgement up here.
Says she who just finished stereotyping the entire metropolitan area! :lol:

Had enough coffee tonight Missy?
Yeah but it goes like this... if you live in Brunswick you will not judge your fellow neighbours who live in the same suburb as you.

Everyone else.. Game on!

:twisted:

There are some crap places in Melbourne and most of them aren't on a train line, they don't have a tram, they only have buses and highways as their transport system, you go to those places and its the end of the world.

I only mentioned the suburbs that I've spent time in or around, by that I mean, living, working, travelling through or visiting.

BEASEA

Postby BEASEA » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:37 pm

awesome longwinded review of 2% of melb Missy. Doesn't sound like you've ever been more then 10+ks out in any direction or past the last tramline starbucks. inner 10K is great for trams, lattes and studio appts but gotta get out for a decent ride or house under $600000. given that bella said it was her plus partner they may well enjoy the 'cookie cutter' lifestyle. horses for courses.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:51 pm

BEASEA wrote:awesome longwinded review of 2% of melb Missy. Doesn't sound like you've ever been more then 10+ks out in any direction or past the last tramline starbucks. inner 10K is great for trams, lattes and studio appts but gotta get out for a decent ride or house under $600000. given that bella said it was her plus partner they may well enjoy the 'cookie cutter' lifestyle. horses for courses.
I'm sorry do you find what I said rude?

Did you read what I said?

You must have missed the mentions of Kinglake, Dandenong and Hurstbridge. Did you know that Kinglake is about 1 hour and 20 minutes ride from Brunswick? That the Dandenongs is about the same difference? Beach Road is 30 minutes from here...

So what I like my $4000.00 bike, and my breakfast outings on the weekends at the latest hip cafes, yes I like running around the tan in my lunch hour, I get my eye brows waxed and my nails manicured. I eat the best food, I like my Italian Cotton shirts that are made to order, I like galleries and book launches in the evening, I like to go to lectures, I'm starting french in a few weeks and my cat boards at the local cattery when I'm away.

Who on earth would drink starbucks coffee? Please thats not overly chic is it... you don't really know what chic is in Melbourne do you? Well its the laneway cafe, that only a few people think they know about, its the cafe that has a 100mile rule, its the place that knows your coffee choice or your prefered blend, they have your fav table waiting for you on a saturday morning and the chef knows your name, as do the waiters.

Doesn't sound like you've done your research before judging me... I didn't judge any forum members directly, unlike you.

Does my opinion upset you? :roll:

BEASEA

Postby BEASEA » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:14 pm

hey Missy - Doesn't upset me at all. Your opinion is fantasic. I loved it! perfect decription of Melbourne's inner city subs. You didn't say you'd been to those other places, you just passed a judegement on what you thought of those areas. I just added my opinion having lived outside the tramline outer mark. Apologies for the starbucks call but not being part of a soy latte crowd or worrying whether anyone holds a table for me it was all i had.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:23 pm

BEASEA wrote:You didn't say you'd been to those other places, you just passed a judegement on what you thought of those areas.
FYI: See below, this was the last line of my OP
Missy24 wrote:I only mentioned the suburbs that I've spent time in or around, by that I mean, living, working, travelling through or visiting.
And do you have any idea how many forum rides I've organised? Beach Road, Kinglake, Yarra Blvd, Mt Donna Buang, Mt Dandenong, Bright, Wangarratta....

Welcome to the forums Brad, I do my research and seeming your on the Gold Coast I wouldn't expect you to know about the coffee situation down here.

Missy
:wink:

kibnedyo

Postby kibnedyo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:56 pm

If you have been watching any of the Melbourne news feeds, you will notice public transport has quite serious concerns about overcrowding and late/non existent services. Some is a beat-up, but from my humble opinion we missed a great opportunity during the great tram strike of the 80's when John Cain cracked it and threatened to wipe out fares altogether!!!!!!

Generally historically most people aspire to the Eastern suburbs, but if you work in the city your limits should be about 15klm from CBD. The only thing about this distance is housing can be pretty horrendous both to purchase and rent. The good news if you pick the area carefully, there are several pretty good commute tracks out there that cut down on roadside travel.

I'd have to agree with Missy about inner suburbs generally. I'm all in or all out of the city, that is why I live in Ballarat - close enough to enjoy the benefit of a large city but far enough not to have to live there. Originally I enjoyed the benefit of a world class trout fishery literally 5 mins away in the centre of town, but unfortunately the drought has put an end to that for the last 5 years. :cry:

As for coffee in Ballarat, it has improved over the years, but that hasn't stopped me buying my own Espresso machine at home. Good news is Starbucks has closed because people up here enjoy REAl coffee......... bet that hijacks this thread :twisted: :twisted: :roll:

BEASEA

Postby BEASEA » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:58 pm

Touche!! Sorry i got distracted by the numerous references to STh Yarra, Toorak, Coburg, Brunswick etc. To further your research you must go back and read again to see I have more Melb knowledge than you credit me for.
BEASEA wrote:did 30 years bayside around chelsea area until property prices went UP. Moved inland a little to skye/lyndhurst before moving up north to the GC a little over twelve months ago.
Unless the coffee situation has changed dramatically in the last 12 -18 mths i have a fair idea.

They are some serious rides you've organised - congrats, maybe i can join you on one of my many trips 'HOME' each year. :D

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:12 am

@BEASEA - I will suggest the Death By Missy Adventure - 26 April 2010 - if your available!

kibnedyo... you must try Sensory Lab in David Jones... delightful and St Ali is opening a new place on Elizabeth St not sure when though.

MiG

Postby MiG » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:56 am

Nobody has mentioned that there are two free outdoor velodromes that are accessable 24 hours per day. Brunswick and Carnegie.
Might not be your thing but I like going to the Carnegie track at night to do sprints and time trials.

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:45 am

Yeah...

For what it's worth, I think Missys summary was pretty much spot on, but it is just that, a summary by one person based on her opinion.

For example I used to be a big fan of Brunswick, but moved out a few years ago after all the trendies started to move in to the area, and don't even get me started on the number of bogans it attracts on weekends. If you own a car, make sure you have a car park in that area (good luck with that, a majority of the houses are small and pokey), expect insurance to cost you a little bit more and make sure you know where the government housing is and try to avoid those areas. Cycling wise, found it pretty bad. Massive amounts of traffic, esp on weekends and not a lot in the way of bike paths. At least it's nice and close to the city train, yarra blvd and with a bit of bravery beach road.

On the flip side, for the same money (slightly less actually) I have a better place in Hawthorn, with a secure car park, the place doesn't get flooded on weekends and I am closer to better public transport options. The downsides are students, as missy said, the yummy mummies in 4WD's can get a bit tiring but I can wander down my local shopping strip on weekends and get a good coffee easily without all the blowins. Still kind of sucks for cycling, but still have the city trail, very close to yarra blvd and beach road is doable.

Ideally, where ever you go in Melbourne you want to live close enough to work to not need public transport if possible. Don't think that means driving will be any better either and don't for a second think finding a place that suits you perfectly, where you want will be even close to easy either.
*** insert signature here ***

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:42 am

Williamstown

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:04 am

Out along the outer Lilydale / Belgrave train lines (beyond Ringwood) with mag views of the Dandenong Ranges and some of the best riding around - hills, creek valleys, green open spaces, bike paths, bike shops

I've been commuting by bike / train from the base of the Dandenongs to the CBD, taking my bike with me on the train most days, for the past year with little hassle (50-55 minute train trip), though more and more of these Parkiteer bike cages are popping up at train stations out our way lately.....

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:56 am

if you're moving to Melbourne, unless you're already financially 'settled', you can forget buying anywhere within 15km of the CBD. you can rent there, or buy in the 'burbs. i bought in Brunswick a few years ago for almost double what i would have paid a few years before that. i thought that was a bad decision but the prices now are insane. or you could buy a unit.

kibnedyo

Postby kibnedyo » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:13 pm

Missy,

I did try the Sensory Lab and was greatly dissapointed. Perhaps I caught them on a bad day, admittedly late after 4:45pm, but it took over 45 mins for coffee and more than an hour hour to try the two beans available to be served and then is was pretty ordinary, very tart and acidic completely masking the flavour and sweetness of the bean. Both espressos were weak and had no tell tale cremma.

I will give them a second chance some time, but have to admit my first visit gave me very little incentive to return.

Do know who would be better operators an the machinersy and what days they are there?