Cyclist killed - Anzac Hwy/Cross Rd Mon 12 April

Dahondude

Cyclist killed - Anzac Hwy/Cross Rd Mon 12 April

Postby Dahondude » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:22 am

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/cyclist-k ... 5852565816

Very sad news and my condolences to the riders family.

Another blow for cycling as a safe commuting/leisure alternative
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

Dr_Mutley

Re: Cyclist killed - Anzac Hwy/Cross Rd Mon 12 April

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:14 am

Another truck vs cyclist
very sad....

bunchridefinder

Postby bunchridefinder » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:25 am

Another very sad loss - we need to take action while this is at the forefront of our minds.

RE: Cyclists mowed down by truck: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclists-mowe ... -rz7v.html

We are looking to get together some sort of petition similar to the 1m Matters Campaign in QLD by Dave Sharp (See here: http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/E ... &lIndex=-1) to try and get the M4, M7 and M2 to lay down 'Ripple Strips' or 'Vibralines' on the white lines of the brake down lanes. Would you believe that the the upcoming M2 upgrade will NOT feature these!

A few guys in the Sydney Bike community believe that these Ripple Strips or Vibralines might just wake up a sleepy driver and Save a cyclists life.

Let us know what you think as we truly believe that its a small step in the right direction, and might just save another life.

If you have any ideas on what to do, let us know and we'll create some awareness via http://www.bunchridefinder.com.au

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:39 am

indeed, very sad.

Thus far we know no details.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Ride past that spot often on Anzac Hwy - no truck in the picture though ... ?

It looks like (from the picture only)) that the Camry made a RH turn from Anzac to Cross Rd and hit the cyclist heading down Anzac (to Glenelg). I thought the RH Turn was controlled by the lights ??

Sad indeed.

Take care everyone

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:35 pm

And almost as bad as a cyclist losing his life, take a look at the comments on the Adelaide Now website. A very large proportion show no compassion at all for the fact that some guy went for a bike ride this morning and is now lying in the morgue, instead screaming for cyclists to be banned, how terrible bike riders are etc etc. Regardless of who was at fault (and we don't know anything about the accident), this kind of response makes me sick.
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

bunchridefinder

Postby bunchridefinder » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Dahondude wrote:And almost as bad as a cyclist losing his life, take a look at the comments on the Adelaide Now website. A very large proportion show no compassion at all for the fact that some guy went for a bike ride this morning and is now lying in the morgue, instead screaming for cyclists to be banned, how terrible bike riders are etc etc. Regardless of who was at fault (and we don't know anything about the accident), this kind of response makes me sick.
+1

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:47 pm

Given the location of the emergency vehicles in the Adelaide Now article, I'd guess that the cyclist had just crossed Anzac Hwy on to Stonehouse Av, and the truck was turning left off Anzac Hwy on to Stonehouse Av and failed to give way to the cyclist. There is a red light camera at that intersection, but if the truck was turning through the "turn left any time with care" lane, then it wouldn't have captured the incident.

[Edit: Also, the truck driver would have been looking into the sun when checking for traffic coming from Cross St on to Stonehouse. :|]

[Edit 2: Disregard that, from the pics and videos it now look like the collision happened within the intersection, so couldn't have been due to the truck turning left. So maybe someone did run a red light?]
Last edited by TheSkyMovesSideways on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Dave

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:59 pm

Comments like this :

One thing is that the cyclists obey the road rules as well. Plus they need to outlaw the strobe type of lights that a lot use, they can be distracting to motorists. They should also be wearing a bright top to make them more visable to motorist, unlike some of lycra tops that many wear, it seems to make them think they are Lance Armstrong or the like and they are above the road rules. I have seen cyclist go into a roundabout and not keep left, but cut acroos the right side of itwhen they were turning to the right. It always seems to be the motorist that gets the blame for accidents involving cycalists, but they need to clean thier act up as well. Ok some motorists do not give cycalists enough respect on the roads, but it is a two way street on that one.

Obviously has no idea. The strobe lights work if they are distracting, as at least, people see them.

However, it was 7am, so visibility should not have been an issue, except maybe glare from sun, but then shouldn't people (cyclists and motorists alike) drive to the conditions ?????

Sad indeed.

alex

Postby alex » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:02 pm

what bothers me most is that i wouldnt consider this a dangerous intersection at all, none of us are safe and it can happen anywhere.

someone on the comments section posted a youtube video which was incredibly disturbing, the guy on the bike in peak hour traffic suggested wobbling around a bit and flapping his elbows so cars give him more room... wow.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:54 pm

Very sad news indeed.

I don't think its possible to speculate about what happened based on one photo on the news website.
Dahondude wrote:And almost as bad as a cyclist losing his life, take a look at the comments on the Adelaide Now website. A very large proportion show no compassion at all for the fact that some guy went for a bike ride this morning and is now lying in the morgue, instead screaming for cyclists to be banned, how terrible bike riders are etc etc. Regardless of who was at fault (and we don't know anything about the accident), this kind of response makes me sick.
Agreed, what frustrates me is that AdelaideNow put the story up, and then encourage the stupid and distasteful comments by writing "What can be done to improve the safety of cyclists on our roads? Fill in the comment box below". What a trashy website.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:23 pm

Very sad indeed. :cry:
Ride Carefully one and all!

brooks_beast

Postby brooks_beast » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:47 pm

This really sickened me hearing this on the news this morning and the responses from jo public on the Adelaide now are revolting. My thoughts go to the family and friends left behind from this idiot driver, I hope the driver didn't leave the scene to consult with their brother!!! When are people going to realise cyclists reduce traffic conjestion while so many times I see one driver in one car waiting in traffic.

brooks_beast

Postby brooks_beast » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:18 pm

I might add I'm not sure who was at fault as I thought the driver had fallen asleep but that was the other fatility in SA, looking at the truck it was the passenger side that was damaged so assuming the driver has ran into the back of the cyclist BMC roadie-may have been a blind spot?

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm

Rode past the spot on my way home tonight, stopped for a few minutes in the late afternoon sun and got very upset thinking about this place where someone lost their life only hours earlier.

Could we/should we arrange a ride of respect this Saturday morning? Could meet in the carpark of that pizza place on the corner and ride down to Glenelg. Kind of finish the ride for the guy, if, as it seems, he was heading that way. That corner seems an awful place to finish his final ride.

I'm NOT thinking some major protest ride, blocking roads, or taking over the intersection, just a peaceful ride by those wanting to show their respects. Might just need a bit of police co-operation to temporarily close Cross Rd so people can get from the carpark, onto the otherside of Cross Rd and then head down Anzac Hwy

If Lance and Robbie can get 6000 people to turn up for the cancer cause, then surely we can get a few hundred people together as a mark of respect.
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

shiv

Postby shiv » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:50 pm

I ride through that intersection all the time as I live just down the road, and it always seems safe. This morning though I drove to work along Bray street/Raglan Avenue at 7am and the sun was REALLY bad driving east so fair chance this could have been a factor. At some times the lights at that intersection allow for turning when other direction has green light so possibly the truck did this and couldnt see the cyclist for the sun.

Either way, very sad and my thoughts are with his family, and the driver.

Farewell/tribute ride sounds like a good idea as well

Skexis

Postby Skexis » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:38 pm

I drove past at approx 7:50am on my way into town. Looked over and saw someone on a covered stretcher so I knew someone had died. No other vehicles around except for emergency services so my first thought was that it was a cyclist and sadly I was right. My sympathies to the family of the deceased, the driver of the vehicle involved and to those who attended the scene. Not a good day :(

Trev Campbell

Postby Trev Campbell » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:41 pm

My condolences to the riders family and friends.

A little bit OT but this unfortunate accident has made me think I'll make a complaint about a road upgrade in my area that has made the road a lot more dangerous for cylclists. I've just put up with it but after a few close calls and this, its changed my mind.

Does anyone know how to find out who is responsible for a road ??? Either the local council or the State government ???
Great Jens Voigt Quotes:
"I get paid to hurt other people, how good is that?"
"Shut up legs"

gusk

Postby gusk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi

A "Ride for Respect' has been organised for this Saturday morning at 7.30am. The start will be the location of the incident and proceed to Glenelg. There is a lot of publicity for the ride already since it was set up late last night on Adelaide Cyclists. The Advertiser is doing a piece tomorrow and ABC Radio did something on the ride today apparently. I hope you can all join in.

All the details are here: Ride For Respect if you want to post your ride in and meet up with others feel free. Please spread the word to your riding groups and friends via word of mouth, Facebook & Twitter

Angus
Adelaide Cyclists

Pinarello65

Postby Pinarello65 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:01 pm

="Trev Campbell"
A little bit OT but this unfortunate accident has made me think I'll make a complaint about a road upgrade in my area that has made the road a lot more dangerous for cylclists. I've just put up with it but after a few close calls and this, its changed my mind. Does anyone know how to find out who is responsible for a road ??? Either the local council or the State government ???
I think Transport SA is the starting point. They have a hazard reporting form here http://www.transportsa.com.au/pdfs/form ... direct.pdf
Or just ring them up...number is on the form.

amt

Postby amt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:07 pm

I ride through that intersection at least 3 times a week turning onto Cross Road from Anzac HWY usually around 6:40am. I even rode yesterday, I have to say I felt a little sick after hearing about it given my familiarity with that intersection. My mobile was running hot yesterday morning, naturally people checking to see if I or my friends were involved. Its not a dangerours intersection but it must have occured just after 7am because if sun glare was to blame then that's about the time the sun would pop over the Adelaide hills.

I was writing my thoughts on who I suspected was at fault but I've decided not to as I'd only be guessing. A sad day and my condolences to the riders family.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:32 pm

amt wrote:

I was writing my thoughts on who I suspected was at fault but I've decided not to as I'd only be guessing. A sad day and my condolences to the riders family.

That's good thinking amt, the rubbish which is on the adelaidenow website is pathetic. My thoughts to the driver involved, also.

Zippy

Postby Zippy » Fri May 14, 2010 10:43 pm

Has anyone thought about putting a "ghost" bike on this intersection as mark of respect and a reminder to all road users to be more careful. I realise that the family may not want to be reminded of their loss but, as a victim of a serious cycling accident myself I do feel that anything that get the message across to all road users even if it is born of such a sad loss is worthwhile. If you google ghost bike you will get the idea.
The older I get, the better I was.

alex

Postby alex » Tue May 18, 2010 3:10 pm

best to leave that up to the family imo
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Tue May 18, 2010 5:13 pm

alex wrote:best to leave that up to the family imo
Ditto that, also to be considered is the unfortunate driver and his family too.