The curse

Apple

The curse

Postby Apple » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:45 pm

I hope the guys are not reading this but do you ladies ride when you have that time of the month (I call it gods curse for making Adam eat an apple),
It is not pleasant experience and what do you wear for it.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

bella26

Re: The curse

Postby bella26 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:55 pm

Apple wrote:but do you ladies ride when you have that time of the month
Sure do and I find it actually seems to take a lot of tension away as well.
Apple wrote:It is not pleasant experience and what do you wear for it.
Cycling knicks and tampons - anything else and it is too messy and uncomfortable!
2014 Bianchi Infinito CV 2012 Wilier Gran Turismo 2012 Specialized Epic FSR Comp 29er

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks for that, I have not tried tampons as I don’t like them but yes you are right in saying it is too messy otherwise.
I will have to try them for a small ride and see how I go. I was so embarrassed to post that question
:oops:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Women in the US seem to rave about the Diva Cup...http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthre ... ght=tampon
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthre ... ght=tampon
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthre ... ght=tampon

I would like to try one but don't deal with outages very well.. :oops: :roll:

I ride during that time of the month as it helps w the bloating & freaking cramps :evil: I just ride commando & ensure I do a load of washing immediately after. Using a pad whilst cycling is horrible..it falls apart & then leaves a sticky residue...

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Not the Diva Cup... I think it sounds ick... nice question though! Very BRAVE!!

I ride when I've got my period, just tampons and wash knicks straight away when I get home.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Thank you all for your help, I also ride commando (I presume you mean no panties) but unfortunately the seat is messy at the end of the ride during the curse. At times I cut a pad in half and place it just behind the private parts as not to cause chaffing, it does catch a lot of the curse but still uncomfortable.
I did read about the Diva cup, I don’t think you can buy it in Australia.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:36 pm

I just did a search & found the following site...http://labyrinth.net.au/~obsidian/cloth ... s_aus.html

But...you can buy them from a NZ site...http://www.greenbeans.co.nz/index.php?m ... cts_id=589

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:40 pm

Thanks crazycanuck, but I just read what needs to be done with them and I don’t think I could go through that kind of trauma. On heavy days I will not ride but will give the tampon a go on a short ride.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:36 pm

I used to use tampons and tuck the string in a little way so there was nothing extra to cause pressure/injury.

What's traumatic about a Diva Cup? I've been using them for 4y, bought off Ebay. I cannot seem to ever manage zero spotting especially on day1-2. Off the bike I use thin liners. On the bike I cross my fingers, hope for the best and cold wash my knicks afterwards.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:01 pm

s-s-a wrote:I used to use tampons and tuck the string in a little way so there was nothing extra to cause pressure/injury.
Oh yeah. Nothing like a string injury :oops: don't ask how I know!!

Seeing as we are on this topic, I always find I ride/run/exercise much better at that time of the month, but crap a day or two later. I feel like superwoman (with a slight cramp) for 4 days, then like a blob of jelly for 2 days, then back to normal.

Does anyone else get like this?

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:12 pm

I don't know if I neccessarily run or ride better at that time of the month, but I know the cramps aren't as bad the more you exercise.

Although I do have a tendancy to forget when I get my period and because I miss it occasionaly I will wonder why I'm getting massive sugar cravings... then the cravings stop for a day and then I get my period... weird as weird!!!

I hate feeling bloated, I find my fingers get fat!

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:20 pm

I have always had it bad, and it feels like a very bad hangover. I feel nauseated on day 1 and 2 so often I don't ride.

Thanks for informing me about the string, I didn't think of that. :shock:

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Although I do have a tendancy to forget when I get my period
Yes, which is not alot of fun if you are out riding and several hours away from home.

Another bonus of the Diva Cup is that you can choose to put it in "just in case" - these days I would definitely do this if going for a long ride within a few days of expecting my period.

Steph

Max

Postby Max » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:12 pm

s-s-a wrote:
Yes, which is not alot of fun if you are out riding and several hours away from home.
I just keep a spare plug in my saddle bag. It's not like it adds much weight to the bike. :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

fleecedog

Postby fleecedog » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:14 pm

s-s-a wrote:

Another bonus of the Diva Cup is that you can choose to put it in "just in case" - these days I would definitely do this if going for a long ride within a few days of expecting my period.

Steph
Yup I too can vouch for the Divacup. It's the best invention since ... I don't know! But it has made the time of the month a lot easier to live with, with little or no spotting and definitely no leakage! It does take a bit of effort to get used to and figuring out the right position - took me two cycles before it really fit comfortably, but once it's in there probably, it feels like you don't have your period at all. I had to trim the stem for it to fit comfortably but now I can't imagine going without it during the cycle. Seriously think about giving it a go, it's a bit yucky at first with all the blood and washing and cleaning but it's worth it.

On the other hand, I just feel weak when I do have my period, especially the first few days so riding is often the last thing on my mind.

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:32 pm

Lol, I can't imagine being so sensitive as to be unable to sit on a tampon string. Princess and the Pea, what! :D
I don't have any problem using super thin, breathable liners so I do that most rides.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:52 pm

I can't imagine being so sensitive as to be unable to sit on a tampon string
I guess it depends how long you are sitting on it. What's the longest day you've ever done on your bike?

Becker_11

Postby Becker_11 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Firstly I will apologise to all the ladies if it makes you uncomfortable to know I've read and then actually replied to your thread.

BUT I may have another suggestion should other ideas not work for you.

I have heard that "Working Girls" use sea sponges at that time of the month to enable them to continue working. I know this as I was in a relationship for nearly 9 years with a lady who worked.

I did a quick Google and came up with this link you can check out for more information. http://www.ehow.com/how_4851498_buy-sea ... eriod.html

(For those who don't understand my subtle wording I'm referring to sex workers or prostitutes)
Regards
Nathaniel

A great adventure starts with a single step

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for that Becker_11,
I do believe in the older days that they did use those, when I have more time I am very interested to read about it and where I can get one. Fantastic.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:07 pm

I used sea sponges for a while in the early 90s, though not for the reason suggested above :shock:. You used to be able to buy them at health food stores. They have some advantages over tampons but IMO the Diva Cup is heaps better.

The main problem with sea sponges is that they don't hold as much flow as a Diva Cup before reaching capacity. And once they do reach capacity, a cough or sneeze will squeeze out the liquid with predictable results. Not fun. On day 1 or 2 a sea sponge needs to be removed, squeezed out (not for the squeamish), rinsed under clean water and reinserted as often as every 2h or so. IME a Diva Cup will hold at least 6-8h flow at the very heaviest and very rarely do I need to empty mine more often than twice a day - first thing in the morning and some time in the evening.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:51 pm

s-s-a, thank you so much for all that detail.(do you have shares in the diva)
I will now look into the diva :wink:
Seriously, great information.
I just thought that the sponge would not be as uncomfortable as the diva. Is the diva soft? I wouldn’t want it to be irritating on the bike

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:24 pm

No I don't have shares. I realised while typing that it sounded like an advertisement LOL

The Diva is pretty squishy silicone but anyway it sits far enough inside that you can't feel it (but still within reach). Everyone I know of that has one has cut the "stalk" bit at the bottom off completely.

Chamy

Postby Chamy » Sat May 08, 2010 7:31 pm

[/quote]
Oh yeah. Nothing like a string injury :oops: don't ask how I know!!
[/quote]

happened to me today. worst. experience. on. a. bike. ever.

bunnybiker

Postby bunnybiker » Mon May 10, 2010 12:22 pm

Great topic !!
1 I always tuck the string in! A savage string injury when running 20 years ago got me into this habit.
2. Yep riding makes me feel better - my legs are often a bit useless for running or weight bearing activities (skiing, windsurfing etc)on these days but they can still turn over on the bike.
3.Have discovered that MAGNESIUM is great for reducing bloating and cramping.A bottle of ENDURA on rides really helps.Tablets also good.
4. My Descente knicks have an awesome chamois which handles any accidents out on a ride (I have a white seat- and have not been embarrassed yet! ) and it washes out super easily. So much so that I want to get hold of some of the material to make reusable pads!!

ps this diva device sounds interesting!!

slane

Postby slane » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:31 pm

Well I usually use a tampon but you can stick a pad on your chamois. No big deal.

There are only two cups licensed by the TGA in australia, the keeper http://www.thekeeper.com.au/and the lunette
http://www.lunette.com.au/whatisalunette. Basically the same thing but one is latex and one is silicone. I like the idea of silicone. Seriously thinking of getting one.