Ride for Respect - Sat 17 April 730am start

Dahondude

Ride for Respect - Sat 17 April 730am start

Postby Dahondude » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:07 pm

This ride is dedicated to the cyclist who died today on Anzac Hwy. When we set out on a bike ride we all expect to reach our destination safely. Sadly, this wasn't the case today. The aim is not to create some cyclist vs vehicle conflict or protest, just a nice safe, quiet, respectful ride down to Glenelg to "finish the ride" for this guy.

Ride starts at the Marcellina Pizza carpark on the corner of Cross Rd and Anzac Hwy and heads to Glenelg via Anzac Hwy.

Bring something appropriate to leave at the scene as a mark of respect if you want.

PLEASE CIRCULATE VIA ANY MEANS POSSIBLE!! Twitter, Facebook, Cycling Club pages etc

Meet at 730am, one minutes silence and then ride to Glenelg
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

alex

Re: Ride for Respect - Sat 17 April 730am start

Postby alex » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:49 am

looks like there is some momentum on the web about this, have had 2 emails already today

will be there
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

Patdys

Postby Patdys » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:00 pm

If the family are OK with it, I think it is a good idea.

Thankyou.

(Pm sent )
05 Azzuri Primo (bought in 08)
10 BMC Team Machine

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:33 pm

See you there dahondude, and thanks

The Manto crew

gusk

Postby gusk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:09 pm

All the details of the Ride For Respect this Saturday can be found here Adelaide Cyclists 'Ride for Respect' on Adelaide Cyclists.

Hope to see you all there.

shiv

Postby shiv » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:44 pm

I'll see you all there. Hopefully get good numbers there so some of the media take notice.

Say hi if you see a guy in quickstep gear on a titanium coloured specialized

Patdys

Postby Patdys » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:11 am

Good article in the 'Tiser. Actually balanced and reasonable.
05 Azzuri Primo (bought in 08)
10 BMC Team Machine

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:47 pm

I dont think the Marcellina Pizza carpark is going to big big enough for this ride judging on the advertising this ride is getting

Very sad to hear about the lose

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi Richard

Its going to have to be! Unlike the Lance/Robbie Twitter ride we arent going to have a large police presence to close of road lanes or roads. If more than a few hundred people turn up we are all going to have to squeeze in tight and get cosy with each other and our bikes. Blocking the footpaths, bike lane or roads is just too dangerous. Memorial rides are not meant to cause more accidents. If everyone shows patience and respect and uses common sense there should be enough safe space for everyone.

Please keep checking http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/events/ride-for-respect for updates.

cheers

Jeremy
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Dahondude wrote:Hi Richard

Its going to have to be! Unlike the Lance/Robbie Twitter ride we arent going to have a large police presence to close of road lanes or roads. If more than a few hundred people turn up we are all going to have to squeeze in tight and get cosy with each other and our bikes. Blocking the footpaths, bike lane or roads is just too dangerous. Memorial rides are not meant to cause more accidents. If everyone shows patience and respect and uses common sense there should be enough safe space for everyone.

Please keep checking http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/events/ride-for-respect for updates.

cheers

Jeremy
mite be an idea to approach the SAPOL and get a police presence? given the situation and circumstances im sure they would spare a couple of bike cops from nabbing drivers for half an hour....

or maybe shoot an email off to dave scutchings, the police chief in charge of ride like crazy, or approach the sturt police station?

U2adam!!!

Postby U2adam!!! » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:59 pm

ABC news (891) had a story on this in the news at 7am so obviously the word is getting around.

I can't make the ride myself but big respect to you and others who do make it on the day.

Tim

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:07 pm

At around 7:30 the mega bike group will be flying down anzac hwy and knowing their speeds :?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:53 am

Dr_Mutley wrote:
mite be an idea to approach the SAPOL and get a police presence? ....
Was having the same thoughts last night. Even get some advice/assistance from BicycleSA ?

Can't make it Sat morning, but rode past last night and paid my respects.

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:16 pm

WRT to SAPOL
I contacted SAPOL on Monday night and they have been simply fantastic and nothing but supportive. They will be sending two cars and two motorbikes with options to increase this if need be. They are also asking around the bike-riding police officers so a few of them might show up too.

WRT Megabike
I am hoping any regular Megabike riders will have heard about the ride and might choose to start their Sat morning bunch ride from cnr Cross Rd and Anzac Hwy rather than King William St. Understandably the bike shop weren't able to redirect people as they have no way of contacting riders. Any Megabike riders (and other regular Sat morning bunch rides) heading down Anzac Hwy will hopefully use common sense and slow down when passing through this intersection.

Ride safe
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:01 am

Dahondude wrote:WRT to SAPOL
I contacted SAPOL on Monday night and they have been simply fantastic and nothing but supportive. They will be sending two cars and two motorbikes with options to increase this if need be. They are also asking around the bike-riding police officers so a few of them might show up too.

Ride safe
Great to hear Jeremy.... well done on your organisation of this ride... massive props to u on this solemn occasion....

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:49 pm

The pics of the 500+ cyclists who rode today to pay respect to Simon whitely are now up on Adelaidecyclists ... mucho respect to all who rode...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi

There some photos from the ride now up here. Looks like a great turnout.

Andrew
Andrew

daz72

Postby daz72 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Hats off to everyone who did the ride today. I love riding in Adelaide and definitely would have taken part if I was there. Looks like there was a good turn out. Well done Jeremy. I'm sure he would have appreciated you guys all finishing the ride for him as a mark of respect. Take care.

Darren
Trek Madone 5.5

Wino

Postby Wino » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Respect peps.
Well done
09 Avanti Blade Flatbar, blue
11 BMC RoadRacer SL01, black

paws101

Postby paws101 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Jeremy,

I know singular recognition isn’t what your wanting and would rather not prefer, however I would like to say a personal Thank You to yourself and everyone for the efforts put into today’s “Ride of Respect” for Simon Whitely.

I was up the front with a group of Simon’s employees and friends when Chris and yourself spoke.

Simon was a client and friend of mine, a quiet and nice bloke, and I know he would be both “shocked” and touched, the same as I was, by today’s fantastic turn out, show of respect and community spirit.

Thanks also to the SA Police for providing valuable resources to todays event, contributing to what I believe was a fantastic show of respect to Simon.

Thankyou Jeremy and ALL once again!, It’s moments like these I feel very lucky to be in a Nation of individuals that are able to come together as a caring community to show great Australian MateShip!

Regards,

Paul
Last edited by paws101 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sven

Postby sven » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:17 am

Agree with all that has been said.

For me during the minute's silence thought reflected how the term 'cyclist' is thrown about - but he was a father, husband, son and friend. No different to me, and just like all of us.

Thought the acknowledgment of the impact that this event had on the driver (and his family) was insightful.

SAPOL presence was great - in short well organized with just 4 days to turn it around.

Thank you for the opportunity to attend.

RIP Simon

Sven
93 Avanti MTB (converted to single spd 'ninja bike' bike - full matt black)
09 Malvern Star Oppy Bolo'dor
10 Gary Fisher X-Cal

shiv

Postby shiv » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:04 pm

Id just like to say a big congratulations to Jeremy and all that helped him, especially Angus from Adelaide Cyclists website for helping promote it.

It was great to see so many strangers turn out to farewell someone that they never knew but loved cycling as much as us. Also good to see such a broad range of cyclists there.

I was lucky enough to ride with Jeremy and have a quick chat as we crossed Brighton rd, and he seemed very relieved it went off without a hitch. So Jeremy, Im sure that coffee at Mosley Square tasted great!

And lastly it was just great getting to ride with so many people as we split up and headed in different directions. Just a shame Im so out of fitness atm so didnt go very far.

Well done to all and Id be honoured to be remebered that way if that was to be how I went.

RIP Simon

Allkai

Postby Allkai » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:21 pm

shiv wrote:
It was great to see so many strangers turn out to farewell someone that they never knew but loved cycling as much as us.
I was one....

Was also good to see some well known faces in the crowd to show their support, including Pat Jonker (on a mtb!).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:13 am

Great to read that it went well. Sorry that I had to miss it, but props to all of those involved in organising and participating.

It's what Adelaide is all about.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:20 am

yes, 2nd'd, 3rd'd whatever. Great props to Jeremy and all,

On the morning I felt quite hurt that we all got to gather on a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! street corner in memory of a guy who could have been any one of us.