Tailights

Max

Re: Tailights

Postby Max » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:09 am

+1 to what Il Padrone said. :shock:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

redned

Postby redned » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:26 am

I find it a hassle that most tail lights are for fitting to the seat post which is a nuisance with a rack pack or larger saddle bag. Some have a little clip thingy that hooks onto a loop on the bag, but they tend to be smaller lights. I haven't found one yet where I can screw the mount to the back of the rack but be able to easily remove the light when it isn't needed. Same for front lights with a handle bar bag.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:53 am

redned wrote:I find it a hassle that most tail lights are for fitting to the seat post which is a nuisance with a rack pack or larger saddle bag. Some have a little clip thingy that hooks onto a loop on the bag, but they tend to be smaller lights. I haven't found one yet where I can screw the mount to the back of the rack but be able to easily remove the light when it isn't needed. Same for front lights with a handle bar bag.
Hi

I have two Superflash (or similar) lights mounted to the rear of my Tubus rack on my Surly Long Haul Trucker.

Regards
Andrew

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Peter Heal, PoitAroundOz, is pretty impressed with the initial performance of his Tioga Dual Eyes. So another one to through into the mix.

Regards
Andrew
I'm running one of these at the moment. I've had it for about a month, no complaints so far. Bright, two flashing options and durable. I was using Niterider Cherry Bombs, but went through two of them as the clips broke and the lights just fell off.

Edited to correct spelling.
Last edited by Fletcher on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:07 pm

redned wrote:I find it a hassle that most tail lights are for fitting to the seat post which is a nuisance with a rack pack or larger saddle bag. Some have a little clip thingy that hooks onto a loop on the bag, but they tend to be smaller lights. I haven't found one yet where I can screw the mount to the back of the rack but be able to easily remove the light when it isn't needed. Same for front lights with a handle bar bag.
Cateye sell a rear rack mount to use with their lights

http://www.this link is broken/p/cycle/7/Catey ... 360032017/

Fletcher: Where did you pick up the Tioga light? Might suit my bike so wouldn't mind having a look at one if a Cbr LBS has them.

Cheers
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:43 pm

HAKS wrote:
Cateye sell a rear rack mount to use with their lights

http://www.this link is broken/p/cycle/7/Catey ... 360032017/

Fletcher: Where did you pick up the Tioga light? Might suit my bike so wouldn't mind having a look at one if a Cbr LBS has them.

Cheers
Sure Haks. MalAdjusted in Dickson stocks them.

Cheers

redned

Postby redned » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:58 pm

Andrew,

Something like that is what I would like but hadn't seen it lights I have looked at. I will chase up that model.

thanks

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:37 pm

Blackburn Mars 4.0

An excellent bright 1W tail-light that comes with a seat-post mount and a rear rack/reflector bracket mount :idea: .

Image Image
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

damonik

Postby damonik » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Radbot 1000

All of the above [rack, seatpost and seatstay mounts] , plus it's cheaper;)

I've got the Radbot 1000 and love it - it's rather bright 8)
Specialized S-Works Roubaix (With electronic Ultegra, oooo the boogey man)

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:02 pm

Fletcher wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Hi

Peter Heal, PoitAroundOz, is pretty impressed with the initial performance of his Tioga Dual Eyes. So another one to through into the mix.

Regards
Andrew
I'm running one of these at the moment. I've had it for about a month, no complaints so far. Bright, two flashing options and durable. I was using Niterider Cherry Bombs, but went through two of them as the clips broke and the lights just fell off.

Edited to correct spelling.
I was riding behind a guy on the weekend (during the day) that had one of these lights and they are quite bright, brighter than PB SF. Another guy had a Dinotte and it was superbright, might be a bit too much at night, definitely too much for groups I would say.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:50 pm

where are folks buying there Superflashes from?

I see the 1watt headlight and .5 watt superflash combo is around $90 online. eg. at bikelights.com.au
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:07 pm

BrisVegas wrote:where are folks buying there Superflashes from?

I see the 1watt headlight and .5 watt superflash combo is around $90 online. eg. at bikelights.com.au
Go to ebay you will get them shipped from the USA for half that price.

h3ndry

Postby h3ndry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:34 am

5 LED Catyeye style knockoff at Goldcross for 12 bones. Does the job really well.
Do or do not. There is no try

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:46 am

just bought this - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0425817156

fingers crossed it arrives before it gets much darker!
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

redned

Postby redned » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:41 am

Everywhere I have googled for the superflashes, I can't seem to spot a rack mount.

Andrew: where are yours from?

thanks

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Now that night riding is becoming increasingly the solution as winter draws near, the Dinotte light is being investigated.

I have used a Superflash for some years now and have been happy, and in winter, typically attach another flasher (a Cherrybomb) to one of my booties for extra visibility.

Then, not only does it flash, but moves up and down as well !!!!

I have purchased my Superflash from Wiggle in the past. Not real waterproof though.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:11 pm

I've gone through a torrent of rain with the superflash. Still works fine though admittedly I didn't have it out too long. I promptly detached it and put it in my pocket. But would glad wrapping the unit make it sufficiently rain proof?

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:12 pm

redned wrote:Everywhere I have googled for the superflashes, I can't seem to spot a rack mount.

Andrew: where are yours from?

thanks
My rack mount for the superflash came with the racks.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:16 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:I've gone through a torrent of rain with the superflash. Still works fine though admittedly I didn't have it out too long. I promptly detached it and put it in my pocket. But would glad wrapping the unit make it sufficiently rain proof?
I have used mine for a couple of winters without dramas.

Andrew

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:38 pm

damonik wrote:Radbot 1000

All of the above [rack, seatpost and seatstay mounts] , plus it's cheaper;)

I've got the Radbot 1000 and love it - it's rather bright 8)
Do you happen to know if it is possible to mount this on a rear mudguard? It might be the sort of thing I'm looking to use on one of my Raleigh's.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:18 pm

SmellyTofu wrote: .... But would glad wrapping the unit make it sufficiently rain proof?
Mine has worked pretty fine in the wet.

I've applied a grease smear around the edges, and that seems to have worked pretty well.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:22 pm

MichaelB wrote:
I have purchased my Superflash from Wiggle in the past. Not real waterproof though.
Agree with that. I have a few Superflashes, both genuine PB SF and the Basto equivalent and find that pretty much any spray off the road makes them work erratically, doesn't have to be a downpour, a light shower will do it. They dry out and are OK afterwards but it would be better if they didn't malfunction in the first place.

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:48 am

hartleymartin wrote: Do you happen to know if it is possible to mount this on a rear mudguard? It might be the sort of thing I'm looking to use on one of my Raleigh's.
Can't realy answer that but if it helps any, its got exactly the same clip on the back as a PB superflash and it only comes with barckets for seatpost and seatstays.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

Max

Postby Max » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:03 am

Ross wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
Agree with that. I have a few Superflashes, both genuine PB SF and the Basto equivalent and find that pretty much any spray off the road makes them work erratically, doesn't have to be a downpour, a light shower will do it. They dry out and are OK afterwards but it would be better if they didn't malfunction in the first place.
+1 My Macgyver solution was to put sticky tape over the seals. It works and doesn't cost a fortune :)

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:20 am

I prefer to mount on the seat-stays, as I have no fenders so anything in the midline (ie seatpost) gets all the water and dirt from the road thrown onto it reducing visibility when it's wet.