Goodwood Train Station Tunnel

by76

Goodwood Train Station Tunnel

Postby by76 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Can anyone tell me which street the Goodwood Train Station tunnel spits you out heading south west (from the city to Glenelg). Currently looking for a different route out of the city back home and want something other than riding down Unley / Cross Rd. Thinking about Greenhill rd then onto either the path along side the tram line near King William rd, or further down greenhill onto the path that runs behind the showground and spits out on Leader street, then up Leah / East ave.

alex

Re: Goodwood Train Station Tunnel

Postby alex » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:36 pm

exiting the tunnel, when you come up the ramp the skate park is directly in front of you, it is an unsealed trail to either norman terrace (go behind the basketball court and thru the car park) or aroha tce (go straight ahead through the arch under the tram bridge), you could turn 180 deg at the tunnel ramp and head toward leader st but going straight up norman tce then crossing the tram line and up east ave would make more sense.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

by76

Postby by76 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:48 pm

Thanks Alex. I think heading down Greenhill rd and then taking the path behind the showground looks the least messy option anyway, and then just onto Leader street and up ethel or leah st to east ave. Would imagine the path along the tramline is ok but getting across goodwood rd would be a pain.

SeanB

Postby SeanB » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:01 pm

I was also doing Unley rd -> Cross rd and i understand why you are looking at other options.

An alternative to Unley rd is George/Duthy st which is a lot quieter and bike laned (once you get to duthy st). Takes you all the way to Cross rd which I actually love riding because it's got a bike lane, it's long and straight and kinda downhill.

Depends where you come from in the city though because it's a bit more eastern than unley road, possibly out of your way.

cheers to the bloke who recently put me onto this alternative to unley road. as someone who is deathly scared of having a crash, I feel much more comfortable now.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:18 am

Ha !!

I live a stones throw from there (literally), but don't know the names of the roads :oops:

Agree with Sean's comment re Geoge/Duthy st. Regularly ride down there

by76

Postby by76 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:59 am

Been down Duthy a few times and its a good road to ride on, only problem is car doors around the shops (which isn't too bad if you keep your eyes open). Real problem is the right turn onto Cross rd at the end, as the right lane is not a dedicated right hand turn - have been caught a few times where the cars have cut inside and gone straight rather than turning right, or not had there indicator on with me on the inside and turned right, leaving you in the middle on Cross rd. I could just sit in the middle of the lane and pretend I am a car, but trying to do the right thing by the traffic as well. Could take the crossing, but in a hurry at that time of night trying to get kids from after school care or whatever.
Did the path behind the showground and then onto Leah St / East ave last night, but East ave is average surface for riding along (and nowhere near as fun as going along at 45kph down Cross rd).
Any suggestions for the duthy / cross rd right hand turn?

alex

Postby alex » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:20 pm

by76 wrote:Thanks Alex. I think heading down Greenhill rd and then taking the path behind the showground looks the least messy option anyway, and then just onto Leader street and up ethel or leah st to east ave. Would imagine the path along the tramline is ok but getting across goodwood rd would be a pain.
personally i hate riding on leader st and leah st

if you use the bike path next to the tram line from king william rd, there is actually a set of lights at goodwood road with a cyclist crossing, it is a lot more cyclist friendly than it used to be

from there you can go under the goody train station if you want, the faster way is to go over the train line at the victoria rd level crossing and then up to east ave

the fastest way of all is to go up duthy/george and then onto cross rd though. you can avoid that sketchy right turn 'lane' onto cross rd by lining up with the westbound traffic, old skool style.
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

by76

Postby by76 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:47 pm

the fastest way of all is to go up duthy/george and then onto cross rd though. you can avoid that sketchy right turn 'lane' onto cross rd by lining up with the westbound traffic, old skool style.[/quote]

You mean go startight on duthy and join up with the traffic waiting on cross rd to go over duthy st?

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:57 pm

The Goodwood tunnel is a messy option that I only use when freight trains are stopping traffic on Victoria St.

Take a look at this: http://www.mapmyride.com/route/au/adela ... 0823467464, my route from North Terrace to South Rd/Cross Rd intersection. Its all on bike lanes, bike paths, or quiet back streets. Heading out of the city once I cross South Terrace there is only one traffic light (Greenhill/King William), one pedestrian light (crossing Goodwood Rd) and one train crossing (Victoria St), the latter can be avoided by a detour through the tunnel. So only 2 or 3 definite stop points in 6km and virtually traffic free. And its only about 5 minutes slower than the death sprint down Unley/Cross or Anzac Hwy/South Rd. They are about to start installing lights along the Unley Commuter Route (the bike path that runs along the southern side of the Tram Line) so should be much safer at night
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:08 pm

You ride right past our place (cnr Chelmsford & Oakley).

Road surface on Cromer parade is crap though.

Heaps of people use this route though - make sit interesting coming out of our driveway at times :shock:

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:40 pm

MichaelB wrote: Road surface on Cromer parade is crap though.
yeah I agree but a whole lot nicer than playing car-driver lottery on East Ave. Its nice a shady on a hot afternoon and one day I hope the council will re-seal it. Its a pretty important part of the cycling corridor from the SW into the city. Its also not nearly as bad as Railway Terrace Sth!
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

by76

Postby by76 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Cromer rd is bad, but east ave road surface equally as ordinary. How long would you normally wait to cross over east ave from Cromer in the afternoon - east ave is generally busy so I would have thought you'd have to wait for a train?

alex

Postby alex » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:00 pm

by76 wrote:
You mean go startight on duthy and join up with the traffic waiting on cross rd to go over duthy st?
correct, easily the fastest way ... 'but'... i dont know what the banked up traffic is like around that part of cross road in peak hour (i go down greenhill) so it may or may not be the best option, personally i really really dont like riding in a bike lane when the traffic is banked up (when right hand turn cars are given a gap, pedestrians crossing etc)

safest way would be to take the tram line bike path then over the level crossing or under the train station but its not the quickest

depends on your 'danger:time' ratio really!

by76

Postby by76 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:19 pm

How do you get onto the tram line path? Is it a left turn off greenhill onto King William then scoot across the road when you see the path - or do you effectively ride down the wrong side on KW on the path from Greenhill?

alex

Postby alex » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:00 pm

i have not been down there for years so correct me if i am wrong but you have to go down king william then over the road just by the old compact disc shop, i think there is a road island in the middle for bikes from memory

now, some time ago there was a hotmix bike path built along the other (northern) side of greenhill up to south terrace, which i suspect might connect with this bit, so you might be able to legally ride along the footpath to get onto the bike path if you don't want to do the king william road crossing

but like i said i have not been around there for a long time

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:02 am

They are actually upgrading the foothpath on the western side of King William, between Greenhill and the start of the bike path (officially called the Unley Commuter Route or something like that). So in a few months the bike path will extend along the footpath all the way to Greenhill Rd

But yes, currently you have to turn left off greenhill (or come down King WIlliam from town, or ride through the parklands like I do) then ride down King William or a few hundred metres and then make a dash across the rd to get onto the bike path.

AS for Crossing East Ave from Cromer, I very rarely wait more than a few minutes. There is a traffic island in the middle so you can do it in two bits.

The only real bottlneck on this ride is the lights to get across Goodwood. They put in dedicated bike and pedestrian lights but because Goodwood Rd is such a main thoroughfare cyclists/pedestrians are pretty low priority so you can wait for up to 5 minutes for the lights to change. I reckon they should have built an overpass here.
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser

hillman

Postby hillman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:35 pm

I commute from Clarence Park(between goodwood rd and east ave) to North Tce/Rundle st, however i bite the bullet and ride goodwood and then greenhill rd's. Pop in the MP3 player so i cant here the traffic approaching from the rear and it doesn't bother you...