Where can I get a Surly

rohan

Where can I get a Surly

Postby rohan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:05 pm

I am looking to test ride and perhaps even buy a Surly LHT. Does anyone know of where I can find a shop that sells them? Preferably a shop that sells them cheap!

Cheers

beebleb

Postby beebleb » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:09 pm

The bike shop in Wembley sells Surly but they normally order in. The owner let me have a quick ride on his new cross check though, sweet ride.

rohan

Postby rohan » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:33 am

Thanks for that but which particular bike shop in Wembley?

bene313

Postby bene313 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:33 pm

Maybe the one on Cambridge next to the pub, supermarket etc?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:18 am

Wembley Cycles I assume.

Andrew

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:02 am

have a talk to Rob at Elite Racing Cycles. A couple of months ago he got himself a Surly single speed. I dont think they carry Surly as a standard bike but he could possibly order one for you.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:53 am

It'd be nice to see Surly more readily available. Even as close as a few months ago, they were promised but not available. That seems to be changing which is good because Surly appear to be a very progressive company. Regardless of the quality of their product now (and I'm not judging that with that comment), their willingness to address the use of bikes rather than fashion, promises big things from them. I genuinely hope the local distributors don't foul up their ingress into the local cycling industry.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:17 am

europa wrote:It'd be nice to see Surly more readily available.
They are or where. You can check availability at Dirt Works website. They have a stock list published.

Basically it seems any bike shop who deals with Dirt Works can get Surly in.

Andrew

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:30 am

Andrew, you have great faith in Dirt Works, unfortunately, I've heard too many reports of promises made but never delivered and general disinterest from them. However, maybe that's changed, all you can do is try (and you've got no choice but them).

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:52 am

Hi Richard

Maybe. Whilst I have heard these comments before about Dirt Works, I have also raised it with a few bike shops. Their response was one of surprise as they seem to find Dirt Works okay to deal with.

It is clear Dirt Works do not stock all of the Surly range and therefore if they don't stock something you will not get it from them.

I like the idea they publish a stock list, even if it is a bit out date now, it at least gives an idea of inventory. How many other distributors do this?

Regards
Andrew

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:58 am

Dirt Works are affectionally known as Dirt Jerks. "We do not sell to the Public" is their motto.

As a Bicycle business explained to me, to be able to buy Surly from Dirt Jerks, you need to fill out more paperwork than applying for the dole. On trying to buy direct from Surly in the US, the answer was the same. :shock:

Back to the OPs question, the only shop in WA that I know of that actually has them in stock and/or has a reasonable chance of getting one is Bike Force in Geraldton.

I tried ordering one from Wembley as I lived there, hey and guess what, 2 years later it still hasn't arrived.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:57 am

G'day

I believe Bikeforce in South Perth is in the process of putting one together for a customer at the moment.

Andrew

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:10 am

I've ordered two Surly frames (Crosscheck and more recently a Steamroller SS/FG) in through Quantum Bicycle Manufacturers, in North Perth. They are more of a frame builder as their name suggests. More workshop than shop - but I've always found Aldo & Sats in there quite good to deal with. Level talking no nonsense guys. I found them quite refreshing after getting quite patchy service from numerous stores closer to where I live, South of River.

I've seen a couple of LHT frames being built up hanging in Quantum.

But having said that - I have since ordered in numerous bits from Georges Bike Shop in Willeton. They're rather low profile in that they're tucked away behind the much higher profile Bicycle Entrepeneur on High Road - but I like the small shops. More chance of getting the staff member I want to deal with.