Bunch ride options in CBR over the Anzac Day long weekend?

ciaran

Bunch ride options in CBR over the Anzac Day long weekend?

Postby ciaran » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi Guys,

I am a ex-Canberran (it feels strange to say that), coming down to the 'berra over the Anzac Day long weekend. If I happen to bring my bike along, what bunch options will I have on the Sat, Sun or Mon mornings?

I am pretty happy punching out between 80-120kms over rolling terrain. Probably a bit less if it involved a serious climb.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Cheers,

Ciaran

mrgolf

Re: Bunch ride options in CBR over the Anzac Day long weeken

Postby mrgolf » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:41 pm

Hey Ciaran, come and do the Bakery Bunch on Saturday morning, then Sunday we can do the Uriarra ride as discussed. You will dig the Bakery Bunch, and will be home by about 8:30.

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:37 am

mrgolf wrote:You will be shamed and annihilated by the Bakery Bunch
fixed for you. :)

I can probably only get a leave ticket for one morning ride, so will have to let you know closer to the date which day that will be. The way you describe the bakery bunch (and knowing how strong you are) I don't think that it would be good option for me. It would become a solo ride within 10kms of the start I think.

But I gotta say I am intrigued.. I guess I could just plan on hanging on until the return to Gungahlin and rolling off near Nicholls (where I am staying). Rollout for BB is 630 from bike shed philip yeah?

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Yeah, thats right. But you would be fine. They only start sprinting at Nicholls. Til there it is a reasonably quick run, but not too hard. They sprint off from lights til Ginninderra Dr, but with your track skillz, that wouldnt be an issue.

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:35 am

So, it looks like I'm in for the bakery bunch on Sat. This is a call out for anyone else who has been umming and aaahing about giving it a hit. I am almost certain that I will get spat out pretty quickly, but am planning to dig in and hang on until Gundaroo Dr near that small bit of Nicholls that is nowhere near the rest of Nicholls. Then I will chuck on a some more kms, depending on how I feel.

If anyone on here was keen for at attempted big hit out with the Bakery Bunch, followed by something more reasonably paced and maybe even some coffee after (Fruitylicious (AT) Gungahlin make the BEST coffee in Canberra, no lie) come along and have a go.

I'll be rolling out from the Gungahlin area at 530am, to make sure I get to the start by 630. (approx 22-25kms from Gungahlin) If anyone wanted to meet up to roll to the start reply on here.

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Note the following times are listed on the Canberra Cycling Club listing for training rides... Saturday morning, 7a.m EST (Winter), 6.30am EDST (Summer): 'Bakery Ride': from Bike Shed, Phillip. Fast; for experienced riders

Might be worth checking so you don't have to stand around at the Bike Shed for half an hour in the cold!

Steph

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:30 pm

thanks for that tip. I'm trying to go to the ccc website but it's being slow.

This coldness is going to be a slap in the face. Mornings are still in the mid to high teens up here on the Central Coast.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:57 pm

Its not too bad yet, Ciaran. Let me know where you are in the G and I will meet you to ride down together... I will message a regular to find out exact time. I reckon you should be right to leave at 5:45.

I agree, though. Any other takers? Twiz? For the record, this wont be the hardest of rides as the Canberra Tour is on this weekend and most of the big hitters will be taking the day off due to racing later...

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:30 pm

Canberra Tour is first weekend in May isn't it? Thus the following weekend
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Thats info I was trying to get hold of too. But I was under the impression it was last weekend in April. May makes more sense the more I think about it... Maybe it wont be such a light run after all... :lol:

Edit: Yep, Haks is correct. Tour is the week after. I would say some heavy hitters (prolly the Porsche Drapac guys) will be out and about this Saturday. Will be a big bunch.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:00 pm

mrgolf wrote:Thats info I was trying to get hold of too. But I was under the impression it was last weekend in April. May makes more sense the more I think about it... Maybe it wont be such a light run after all... :lol:

Edit: Yep, Haks is correct. Tour is the week after. I would say some heavy hitters (prolly the Porsche Drapac guys) will be out and about this Saturday. Will be a big bunch.
Only cause Cotter, Stromlo, Uriarra is plastered with signs saying 'Cycle Race - Canberra Tour - 30th April - 2nd May' :lol:
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:27 pm

Hey Ciaran, just heard back from my mate. 7am for Eastern Standard Time. Gives us an extra 30 minutes to play with...

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:38 am

thats awesome! The sun is usually up enough by 6am to ride without lights. So what time you want to meet and where?

Also, if it is raining I will not be riding. Not because I am soft but I really prefer to only ride solo in the rain. Bunch riding + reduced grip = scary. Forecast for Sat is 8mm rain, but lets hope that it is for later in the day.

Just cracked 160km for the week so far, piddly by your measures but quite substantial by mine. Just got back from a 30km hills ride around Terrigal and Avoca, god I love this place. You should come up for a holiday with the bike one day.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:07 pm

ciaran wrote:thats awesome! The sun is usually up enough by 6am to ride without lights. So what time you want to meet and where?

Also, if it is raining I will not be riding. Not because I am soft but I really prefer to only ride solo in the rain. Bunch riding + reduced grip = scary. Forecast for Sat is 8mm rain, but lets hope that it is for later in the day.

Just cracked 160km for the week so far, piddly by your measures but quite substantial by mine. Just got back from a 30km hills ride around Terrigal and Avoca, god I love this place. You should come up for a holiday with the bike one day.
Sounds great, bud. Central coast has some nice terrain. And 160kms is on par with me. I have only 17kms more, and thats only cos I ride places with Miles in the trailer...

If it is raining, I wont ride either. I just hate cleaning my componentry... :? The thought of 40-50kmh in a bunch is the secondary consideration... Haha. I think it should be pretty OK, though. I expect, from looking at weather maps, that it will hit mid morning. Might be windy and cold, though. Although more likely windy and warm-ish, especially if its cloudy.

As for where, I can meet you around the gungahlin area and ride from there. Which suburb are you staying in? Maybe at the Barton Hwy roundabout? Or mid point?

ciaran

Postby ciaran » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:08 pm

I'm staying in Nicholls, but will probably go along the Gungahlin Dr bike path until the Barton Hwy. So how's about Barton Hwy/Fed Highway Intersection at about... 630? Is 30 mins enough to get to the start?

This is at normal talky pace mind you, not crazy Steve does 35+km/h av and forgets to post about the number of calories he burned. :mrgreen:

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Haha!!! Nice cross forum referencing... I want a few extra K's, so how about the Barton Hwy roundabout at 6:15. That should give us ample time if we sit on about 32kmh average... Earlier if we want to cruise a bit more...

Doing the Friday bunch ride in the fast group tomorrow morning. Will let you know how it goes. I could get dropped savagely. I could also stuff myself entirely for Saturday. Last training for the A's and B's before the tour... Expect lots of people and mayhem.