What are you eating? Recipes anyone?

Missy24

What are you eating? Recipes anyone?

Postby Missy24 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:59 pm

I know even as a single girl I find it hard to think of creative and healthy things to cook, its hard when there's just one of you to cook for.

I also know mum's get tired of cooking at times and find it hard to think of something new and different thats tasty and healthy, so if you have any ideas, we'll put them in this thread.

Let's make it a rule that they have to be quick and easy though!

crazycanuck

Re: What are you eating? Recipes anyone?

Postby crazycanuck » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:32 pm

I love the recipe on the back of the Qinoa packages found in the health food aisles...mmmm...

Have you seen the Healthy Food Guide magazine? Some really yummy recipes-healthy too! Meals for one, etc..etc..

The AIS cookbooks-yum yum yum...!!!

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:12 pm

We get Diabetic Living at work and the recipes in it are YUM! I will bring a copy home and post something soon.

I'll be back later to share a quick and easy recipe for Rice Bubble Slice which is a great thing to have in the fridge for post-ride snacks. It takes literally 5 minutes to make!

Steph

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 pm

Whenever I decide that yoghurt will be my dinner (I do try to have a big lunch when I can), Mr Moo always makes a Caesar salad. The bacon (or even fried ham) and eggs are always in the fridge, as are salad ingredients.

If you are into salads, grab a packet of Crispy Noodles (asian isle in Coles) and do the recipe on the back. Basically, shredded chinese cabbage, crispy noodles, toasted pinenuts, and the sauce of sugar, soy sauce, olive oil, sesame oil and maybe another ingredient I can't remember. I often do this for a super quick meal as I've found chinese cabbage lasts longer than lettuce in the fridge. I also add a finely chopped chilli for some spark but it doesn't need it.

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:00 am

I cook for five and sometimes I have to make 4 different meals just to make everyone happy. It’s like a bloody restaurant here.

I will post my steamed chicken here soon.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:44 am

I like omlets with lots of mushroom and corn kernals (fresh of the cob), with some capsicum and maybe some ham, or whatever is laying about... cheese on top and yum, only takes 10-15 minutes... from the time you start to sitting down I think. People have a thing about egg white omlets, I sometimes use one full yolk and the rest egg white, depends on how I feel

Christine Tham

Mamak mee goreng

Postby Christine Tham » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:52 am

Lately, I have been trying to master the various "hawker stall" noodle dishes from my homeland. They are good for carb loading the night before a ride.

Here's my recipe for "Mamak Mee Goreng". "Mamak" is a term referring to Tamil Muslims who migrated from the south of India to Malaysia centuries ago and "mee goreng" (fried noodles) is a popular dish that you can buy at a "mamak stall." As kids, we would sometimes eat this dish for breakfast (!).

In Australia, Melbourne is the best city to find authentic versions of this dish, due to the large expatriate Malaysian population living there and good Malaysian restaurants.

The dish is best cooked on a hot wok that is gas heated, but I have successfully used this recipe on an electrically heated saucepan (the secret is don't overload by cooking too much, and add the ingredients one by one to the stir fry to allow them to heat up properly).

My version is "vegetarian" but I add eggs. The eggs are optional, but improve the dish.

The end result should look something like this:

Ingredients:
  • hokkien mee (thick egg noodles) 500g
  • 1-2 tomatoes, cut into 1-2 cm cubes
  • 1-2 carrots, sliced into coin sized pieces
  • 1 small-medium potato, boiled, then deskinned and cut into 1-2 cm cubes
  • Chinese greens (either choy sum or bak choy will do - not too much, about 1 small bunch, chop up into pieces about 1 inch wide)
  • half a packet of bean sprouts (you can use less if you want)
  • garlic chives or spring onions, about 1/3 of a "bunch" typically sold in Asian food stores or supermarkets, cut into 1 inch strands
  • fried tofu puffs (the small cube variety - they are springy) - cut into halves
  • marinated tofu cakes (you can buy these from Coles/Woolies - they come in various flavours, I generally like "Teriyaki" - you can find them in the refridgerated section next to the Sanitarium vegetarian stuff), cut into 0.5cm strips
  • three eggs, beaten, and marinated with a generous dash of light soy sauce (until the eggs turn from orange to murky brown)
  • fresh coriander, finely chopped (used as garnishing, so not too much)
  • fresh chillies, finely chopped (again, used as garnishing)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely diced
  • cooking oil (I use olive oil, but peanut oil may taste better)
  • 1 tablespoon light soy sauce (salty)
  • 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce (sweet)
  • 4 tablespoons (!!!) of tomato ketchup
Cooking method:
  • Put around 1 tablespoon on oil in heated saucepan. Wait for oil to heat up.
  • Brown the garlic.
  • Add carrot, wait for carrot to get soft (and slightly brown), then add tofu cakes, tofu puffs, then the green vegetables. Remember, only one ingredient to be added at any given time, wait for it to heat, then add next ingredient. Otherwise everything will end up as one gigantic soggy mess.
  • When everything looks kind of semi cooked, add the noodles. Some people cut up the noodles using a knife to make it easier to stir the noodles in the saucepan. I just take a 500g packet, and run a pair of scissors cutting the glob of noodles in half.
  • Now add 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce and 4 tablespoons of tomato ketchup into the noodles and stir around until the noodles have warmed up and are soft.
  • Move everything to the edge of the saucepan leaving empty space in the middle, add a bit of extra oil, and dump the beaten egg/soy sauce in the middle.
  • As the egg harden, move the noodles and ingredients over the egg. As the egg harden further, stir everything around the pan.
  • Finally, add the cubed potatoes, bean sprouts, chives/spring onions, tomatoes. Remember, only add 1 ingredient at a time otherwise everything becomes soggy.
  • Finally, mix in 1-2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce.
  • Plate up, and garnish with coriander and chilli.
  • Serves 3-4, but if you are really hungry, 2 (!)
  • Cooking time: depend on how hot you can heat the saucepan (the hotter the better - turn the dial up to 11 if you can!), but generally less than 15 minutes
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:15 pm

That looks great Christine!

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Missy24 wrote:That looks great Christine!
+1. it made my mouth water :D :drool:
<removed by request>

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:56 am

I really like your omelette Missy

Yes Christine, nice dish.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:09 pm

I just made Chow Mein, with brown rice, not white... I'm a domestic goddess today, almost done all the washing and I've made Chow Mein for my lunch throughout the week.

I just get the continental sachet and follow the directions its really easy and its a sensible amount of calories and its good food.

I also marinated some chicken overnight, Honey, soy and garlic and I'll put it with some cous cous for either lunch or dinner, or maybe even salad if I feel like it.

Apple

Postby Apple » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:16 pm

I would love to post mine, but seeing I am such a good chef, you guys would not be able to make it. :roll:
It would be like an abortion in the kitchen. :roll:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Oh and the Nestle website is really good for ideas, if you have the time or if your looking for something special for dessert... not that I would have dessert :wink: but they also have 'normal' food.

Its http://www.nestle.com.au and they've got symbols on them about if there Low GI, Low fat, Vegetarian.... etc etc

Love that site
Apple wrote:I would love to post mine, but seeing I am such a good chef, you guys would not be able to make it. :roll:
It would be like an abortion in the kitchen. :roll:

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:44 pm

OK...I'm going out on a limb here for all those who love dessert :D

Crumble
2 parts self raising flour
1 part rolled oats
1 part brown sugar
1 part dried milk
1 part butter

Mix all together (rub butter in or use a food processor). Spoon in a layer over apple or rhubarb or anything and bake for 20 minutes until lightly browned. I use 1 cup as my "part" as it makes my measurements easy and I store the rest in the fridge until I need it - keeps for the life of the butter.

Marshmallow Slice
1 packet milk arrowroot biscuits - crushed
1 tin condensed milk
16 marshmallows quartered
16 cherries halved (or other fruit like cranberries)

Mix all together. Either press into slice tin or roll into balls or roll into a big log (in plastic) and freeze. If in a tin, cut after about an hour and store in freezer. If you do it into logs, you can cut what you need when you need it. Takes about 10 minutes all up and it a great emergency, but don't put it in a lunchbox as it will be a soggy mess by lunch.

Now that I've been bad, this thread can return to it's normal healthiness :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:24 pm

Yummo. Thanks Moo. :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

stargazir

Postby stargazir » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:00 pm

mmmm condensed milk.

Today I ate two aeroplane meals - breakfast and dinner. nobody wants the recipies for those!

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:49 am

1 kg Kangaroo mine browned. Add 2 tines crushed tomato with herb and garlic. Healthy dose of tomato paste. 2 tins lentils. Mushrooms, 2 eggs.

Cook it up into a nice bolognaise.

Serve with spinach pasta and peas\corn\carrot mix (50/50 of each).

Nice bit of parmeson on top. Very low fat, very high protein, good healthy carbs. and lentils!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:37 pm

I often cook up a broccoli, half a cauliflower, some leek, shell pasta, celery, beans, zucchini, squash. Then chuck it all in a giant lasagne dish and pour over a tin or two of country chicken soup. With breadcrumbs and a spot of cheese on top, shove it in the oven for about 20 minutes to brown.

This takes about 15 minutes to prepare as I normally cook the veges in the steam oven first then everythhing just needs assembling. Easy vege meal and the chicken soup makes you think you aren't being too good :)

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:21 pm

C'mon grrls and wimmin ... where are all your recipes? Huh?

Lately I have been baking cookies for eating during a ride. My favourite is white chocolate and macadamia cookies.

Ingredients:
- 80-100g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 100g macadamia bits
- 100g white chocolate bits
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 0.5 cup caster sugar
- 0.25 cup brown sugar

- beat (using a mixer with egg beater attachment) butter and sugar (white and brown) until the mix becomes creamy
- add egg and vanilla essence and beat a bit more
- add flour and self raising flour, knead until doughy
- add macadamia and white chocolate
- preheat oven to 165 degrees fan forced (or 175 non fan)
- line baking tray with non stick paper
- make about 9-10 flat balls and place in tray
- bake for 15 minutes
- take out cookies, cool in metal tray
- yumm!
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Awwwww Christine.... I gave up eating, hadn't you heard? To fit into CK jeans :roll:

I'm so making them... and eating them...........

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:59 pm

You tryin' to make me fat(ter) Christine? :wink:

I did pick out one procedural error in yer recipe...cool in metal tray

Try that in my place and I'd miss out :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:32 pm

Home made pizza!
Wholemeal Lebanese bread, spread pizza sauce over base,then mozzarella cheese,fresh tomato, fresh mushrooms, bacon, capsicum, red onion, mild salami and parmesan cheese. Place into a 200c oven for 10-12 minutes. Yuuuuum :)
Cost $2 for each pizza, bargain :mrgreen:
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km