<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: TT equipment benifits

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 am

Romper wrote:Image

view the rest of the article here http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2010/04/ ... equipment/
after reading that I'm definitely going to use shoe covers
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Romper

Postby Romper » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:53 pm

Yeah I was surprised by the shoe covers
Romper! now stiff yet vertically compliant

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat May 01, 2010 10:26 pm

If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Sun May 02, 2010 11:15 am

Romper wrote:Yeah I was surprised by the shoe covers
Not too surprised if one considers the position of the shoes, how big some people's feet are and how irregular those shoe buckles are. There's nothing smooth on the top surface of cycling shoes.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MiG

Postby MiG » Sun May 02, 2010 5:15 pm

That's a really nice short and sweet summary of what matters and what doesn't.
Notice that the aero frame is worth 17 s but it's probably the most desired and drooled over contribution, with wheels a close second place. Skinsuits get you labeled a tryhard moron despite being the most effective component (although that seems a bit suspicious).
I say bring out the classic round tube frames (even steel). The fashion for fancy carbon isn't healthy for the average rider's finances and relations with the significant other.

FYI, I've done most of my night time TTs on the velodrome on a steel fixed gear bike, but with the following optimisations:
Nice tyres ($33 from the UK) and latex tubes
Riding topless if it's over 15 deg C ($0)
Clip on aerobars ($50 from T7) and the bars slammed as low as they go
Limar Crono TT helmet ($70 on special from T7 and aus approved!!)

Unfortunately I'm no powerhouse and can only muster a 37.2 km/h 10 mi TT with an average heart rate of 172 :(
Yes I look like an idiot but for a small expenditure I'm going faster than I otherwise could and speed makes me feel good.

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Sun May 02, 2010 7:41 pm

MiG wrote: Clip on aerobars ($50 from T7) and the bars slammed as low as they go
Sorry MiG I don't agree, I have aero bars on my track bike, I popped them all the way down with all the spacers stacked on top vs what was recommended for me...... I just now hope I'm not sterile.
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

MiG

Postby MiG » Sun May 02, 2010 10:32 pm

Chaderotti wrote:Sorry MiG I don't agree, I have aero bars on my track bike, I popped them all the way down with all the spacers stacked on top vs what was recommended for me...... I just now hope I'm not sterile.
Do you mean slammed is too low for you? It likely is. It depends on bike size and leg length (affects saddle height). On my fixed gear it gets my back about horizontal. On my ghetto TT hybrid it was too low (back below horizontal and difficult to pedal) because the head tube is shorter and the aftermarket forks are short with minimal 23c tyre clearance. Regarding numbness and sterility, you need a seat that suits the aero position. My Prologo Bonedge tri and Selle SMP Extra are OK but more common saddles like the Fizik Arione are torture for me.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon May 03, 2010 7:31 am

MiG wrote:That's a really nice short and sweet summary of what matters and what doesn't.
Notice that the aero frame is worth 17 s but it's probably the most desired and drooled over contribution, with wheels a close second place. Skinsuits get you labeled a tryhard moron despite being the most effective component (although that seems a bit suspicious).
I say bring out the classic round tube frames (even steel). The fashion for fancy carbon isn't healthy for the average rider's finances and relations with the significant other.

FYI, I've done most of my night time TTs on the velodrome on a steel fixed gear bike, but with the following optimisations:
Nice tyres ($33 from the UK) and latex tubes
Riding topless if it's over 15 deg C ($0)
Clip on aerobars ($50 from T7) and the bars slammed as low as they go
Limar Crono TT helmet ($70 on special from T7 and aus approved!!)

Unfortunately I'm no powerhouse and can only muster a 37.2 km/h 10 mi TT with an average heart rate of 172 :(
Yes I look like an idiot but for a small expenditure I'm going faster than I otherwise could and speed makes me feel good.
The relative improvements will vary rider to rider, especially so with position changes and with helmets.

For example, I tested that Limar on myself using field test protocols with power meter on indoor velodrome and gained no aerodynamic benefit over my standard mass start helmet. Other riders would gain a significant improvement with same helmet. It all depends on the morphology and position of the rider. I did gain aero benefit from a Uvex TT helmet but under regulations that is only ride able on tracks in the TT and pursuit.

Also, I doubt the gains as listed are additive. As you gain speed from one improvement, the next doesn't provide quite the same level of gains.

Important also to note that some improvements shown are measured from a fairly non-aero base line, e.g. the gains made going to an aerobar position versus sitting upright, whereas some are from an already pretty good aero baseline, e.g. using rear disk wheel over a trispoke (compared with say a standard spoked wheel where the gain would be far greater).

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue May 04, 2010 8:23 am

So if you are wearing just a jersey and bib knicks, would there be an advantage of wearing light weight arm warmers?

Romper

Postby Romper » Tue May 04, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm not sure(perhaps if you had really really long hair in your arms), but I don't think so a skin suit is different to a jersey and nicks(no flappy bits) especially the newer ones made from special fabric.
Romper! now stiff yet vertically compliant