Tough decision - what do I do?!!! Travel and race related.

ClownBoy

Tough decision - what do I do?!!! Travel and race related.

Postby ClownBoy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:28 pm

I just spoke to Tri Travel about IMNZ (Ironman New Zealand).

I have paid a deposit on PMIM (Port Macquarie Ironman) and plan on signing up for it tomorrow. However I just found out I can do IMNZ for <$100 more.

Race entry is close enough to the same. Accom for PM is close to same for Tour at NZ. Fuel vs air fair is <$100 different.

Advice? My wife and son aren't coming anyway - although I had quietly hoped they might drive down for race day in PM. This isn't an option at NZ.

Whichever is my first, the other will be my second.

Wish I had asked sooner so I didn't have to decide overnight.

Missy24

Re: Tough decision - what do I do?!!! Travel and race relate

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:17 pm

Well I'd say go to NZ... but is this the FIRST iron man? If its the first, have your family close by, your gonna need their hearts and minds to give you the strength to finish well, I know you can do it alone, but its always easier if you have someone's hopes, dreams and expectations on your shoulders....

Give you a reason to be more AWESOME than usual, you get to hug your kid at the end and your wife, you get to be a hero to your boy and a champion for your wife... I don't think you need a better reason than that, save for NZ and take the family, you'll get to be a hero for a second time!

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:24 pm

Nah - they don't want to come. It is funny, I posted this in my 3 forums I am active on and all said the same thing.

Well, what you said plus recommendations for NZ.

I am alone either way. My wife is 200% supportive day to day. Heaps of help and support to spend money, train for hours, do other races, etc. But she has been to a bunch of races and it just isn't her thing.

She is 100% cool with either trip and is actually pushing NZ because it will be more of an experience for me. On the being alone bit though - at NZ I would be on a tour going to do the race. In Port Macquarie I just have a one bedroom appt so am with whoever I meet when walking around.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Well in that case go to NZ.... I know it may not be your wife's thing but this is a HUGE EVENT for you!

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Missy24 wrote:Well in that case go to NZ.... I know it may not be your wife's thing but this is a HUGE EVENT for you!
She's been desensitized.

In the last 18 months I had several big milestones on weight loss that were 'Huge Events' for me. I also rode Brisbane to Noosa a few months after buying a bike - 'Huge Event' for me. I ran my first half mara last year, my first Olympic distance tri, my first marathon this year, my first half Ironman this yet - all 'Huge Events' for me.

Plus she has come\is coming to my seocnd and third Olympic distance tris, my other half marathons, etc.

Now she is like really supportive and enabling but she just calmly assumes I will do it and come home to her after. The calm assurance I cannot fail is nice.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:41 pm

If I had the coin I'd come and cheer, but I'm in the process of buying a new bike... I have no coin

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Missy24 wrote:If I had the coin I'd come and cheer, but I'm in the process of buying a new bike... I have no coin
I will post the link to their tracking website (if they have one - IMOZ do).

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:44 pm

ClownBoy wrote:
Missy24 wrote:If I had the coin I'd come and cheer, but I'm in the process of buying a new bike... I have no coin
I will post the link to their tracking website (if they have one - IMOZ do).
Sounds like a good plan... so you made a decision? Go with NZ, your gonna rock it!

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:01 pm

I am going to sleep on it but yeah - NZ looks the go.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sat May 01, 2010 12:31 pm

Do NZ, that is meant to be such an amazing race. Clear crisp water, and the scenery is amazing.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Sat May 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Registered for NZ an hour ago

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:02 pm

Dude your amazing, tell what it's like after... I wanna know everything!

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Sat May 01, 2010 2:08 pm

Really, Really can't wait. 10 months and counting.

My masseuse came around after I registered ad asked if I have anything between now and then.

I said yeah, Noosa imperial in a few weeks, then GC Marathon, then Cap Coast Half Ironman, then Gold Coast Half Ironman, then Noosa Tri - then 2 weeks off then I cane it for 3 months into NZ.

I was a couch potato 18 months ago who got out of breath jogging to catch a train.

A blessed life indeed.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Very blessed