Problem in senstitive location

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Problem in senstitive location

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:38 am

As an indoor spin instructor I occasionally get asked female specific questions. Twice recently I have been asked about a problem in the fold between their leg and privates. What advice do you think I should give them?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

crazycanuck

Re: Problem in senstitive location

Postby crazycanuck » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:17 am

It could be that thier knicks don't fit well...i get that if i wear the wrong sized knicks. Body Glide helps.

?

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:48 am

It depends what the problem is? Abrasion? Ingrown hair?

Is the problem from Spin classes or other cycling? Are they wearing knicks or just gym pants and undies? I reckon you could get some nasty abrasion from the leg elastic on your undies in that area.

I have had the odd nasty boil in that area (only two in well over a decade of cycling, thank goodness). There are a whole heap of subcutaneous glands in that area, and it only takes one getting blocked or an ingrown hair particularly if they are keen about waxing.

I was hoping you weren't going to ask about problems in even more sensitive locations :oops:

Steph

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:57 am

I agree with the point about the undies.

The original saddle that I had on the Cannondale was a Fizik and although its a great saddle, more so for men than women, or someone with awesome geometry and lighteness but the saddle where it does its curve actually pressed into the right side of my butt where it actually left an abraison.

What's the actual problem? But I would just go witht he normal advice that we always give people here, less stuff between you and the seat the better, shave or wax at least 12 hours before getting back on the bike, she may want to use a Chemise cream if she's finding that its because of friction. Invest in a good quality pair of knicks.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback

If they are wearing gym tights, I'd always suggest bike shorts as a first option. How much difference is there between female and male bike shorts? The reason I ask is that many would bulk at paying for expensive female shorts/bibs.

Undies... yeh its challenging to convince some to not wear them

I need to be careful what questions I ask, I am an employee. So I have to be careful with questions relating to hair removal, so not to be seen to be asking what their 'other' hair style is. The way around this to say some get the problem from ingrown hairs and its aggravated by personal moisture.

I should point out that the seats are wide enough for all, so unless undercarriage shape is a fair way from standard then the seats will not be a significant problem. The occasional female will add a gel seat cover, but it tends to ones who bounce due to technique issues.

Sweat is significant. Despite being typically a 45 minute class you sweat one hell of a lot in those rooms.

And yes, I have been questions about an even more sensitive location :shock:

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:04 pm

crazycanuck wrote:Body Glide helps.
There are actually two different products called "Body Glide". One is a dry stick anti-chafing product sold in sports stores, and the other (by a company called Pjur) is a silicone lubricant sold in sex stores. Of the two, I've had horrible experiences with the former, and good experiences (on the bike :wink:) with the latter. The anti-chafing one worked ok, but left a horrible stink in my knicks after washing them! The silicone lubricant one is good because you only need a little bit of it (it's got the consistency of cooking oil), it's odourless, it's made to go in sensitive areas, and it washes out easily.

I've also been told that Lucas' Pawpaw Ointment is very good for both treating and preventing chafing sores.
- Dave

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:33 pm

It may be due to them being new to spin class, that area my toughen up later.
Seriously I think they should ask one of the regular members of your class so that they compare notes and give advice by a more experienced spinner.
I mean if a guy came to a spin class with a female teacher, I doubt he would ask about his sack and nuts
Or if you are feeling confident, you could always ask them to show you the problem in order to assist

I am soooooooooooooooooo bad when I have had a glass of wine.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

fleecedog

Postby fleecedog » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:35 pm

I frequent the gym to spin on weekdays and I am surprised by the amount of women who just rock up in normal shorts. Come to speak of it, I have never seen a woman wear bike shorts in my spin classes, but anyway back to the point.

I don't wear shorts spinning or cycling full stop - had a pair but bibs were just far superior since they made the chamois and the shorts themselves 'hug' your legs and cushion your sensitive areas and butt whereas the shorts are more prone to moving everywhere and chafing. So I do get stared at a lot when I wear my bibs to the gym but who gives, I would never sacrifice comfort to look good on a spin bike! After all, I have retired all my bibs but my Assos ones so they do look good. I had lady who asked me how much they cost and seriously bulked at the pricetag, but it is justifiable for me since I cycle outside the spin class. But I do understand why most women would be reluctant to shell out for a pair of decent shorts/bibs, you're looking at 100ish for something you'll only wear to the gym.

And I imagine a lot of women would be wearing undies underneath the shorts. It took me a few months to get rid of them when I cycle myself and they have made me a much, much happier person in general.

With regards to the male/female shorts. I don't think it's so much the chamois difference even though a lot of brands claim they make 'women specific' chamois but the fit is what's different. I will never fit into male shorts simply because it is cut differently and won't fit my hips and curves. I imagine it would be baggy and move around a lot. With my experience and shorts, always go for the more snug/skin tight size if possible. Never buy something slightly large or ill fitting.

I don't know if hair/shaving/waxing matters so much if you're just going for a one hour spin. You'd have to be pretty dumb to go spinning/riding if you've just recently shaven/waxed that area - riding would probably irritate it a lot and the cause is rather obvious? Just a thought

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Apple wrote:It may be due to them being new to spin class, that area my toughen up later.
Seriously I think they should ask one of the regular members of your class so that they compare notes and give advice by a more experienced spinner.
I mean if a guy came to a spin class with a female teacher, I doubt he would ask about his sack and nuts
Or if you are feeling confident, you could always ask them to show you the problem in order to assist

I am soooooooooooooooooo bad when I have had a glass of wine.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike speak to a more experienced women in the class... someone whose been doing it for ages and see if they would be willing to have a chat, hard to diagnose without more info

Apple

Postby Apple » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:08 pm

Missy24 wrote: Mike speak to a more experienced women in the class... someone whose been doing it for ages and see if they would be willing to have a chat, hard to diagnose without more info
Hey Missy, that's what I said. :wink: In my own way
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:14 pm

Apple wrote:
Missy24 wrote: Mike speak to a more experienced women in the class... someone whose been doing it for ages and see if they would be willing to have a chat, hard to diagnose without more info
Hey Missy, that's what I said. :wink: In my own way
oh yeah.... we're super

vinvin

Postby vinvin » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:00 pm

Are you clear that it is a problem ON the skin (hair, stubble, rash, rubbing etc) and not UNDER the skin (so many tiny little muscles and ligaments in the groin/adductor area that can become inflamed)?

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Oh Apple that is gold :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:36 pm

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:I've also been told that Lucas' Pawpaw Ointment is very good for both treating and preventing chafing sores.
Brilliant stuff, try it on literally anything and 90% of the time it will help. Chapped lips are a big one, so are cuts in places that are difficult to isolate and keep splitting open(knees, knuckles etc). I think it would work well as a lubricant in this case too
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:51 pm

You girls are going to get me fired :(

The 2 particular woman did wear bike shorts but I'm not aware of the quality or suitability. I'm gathering for your feedback that the gender the chamois is designed for is not such an issue, but the cut is.

Generally most participants don't even buy bike shoes and use joggers in the toe straps. So directing them to Assos ain't gunna happen. Time on the bike is typically 45 minutes and some of that time is spent standing.

Max

Postby Max » Sat May 01, 2010 5:18 am

Robdog wrote:
TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:I've also been told that Lucas' Pawpaw Ointment is very good for both treating and preventing chafing sores.
Brilliant stuff, try it on literally anything and 90% of the time it will help. Chapped lips are a big one, so are cuts in places that are difficult to isolate and keep splitting open(knees, knuckles etc). I think it would work well as a lubricant in this case too
I sooooooo was thinking of the wrong "lips" when I read that. :oops: :mrgreen:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:20 am

When I first started doing spin I just wore shorts and always wore undies underneath and never had a problem...

Mike even a cheap pair of knicks should work and chemise cream, I kinda get the feeling it's a friction issue

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sat May 01, 2010 4:08 pm

Mikesbytes-why not just print this thread off & pass it to them each time they ask...

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat May 01, 2010 4:47 pm

While not spin class related, these two items are specifically about the issues of cycle fit/positioning for women:
http://www.cyclefitcentre.com/pdf%20fin ... issues.pdf

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Sat May 01, 2010 5:12 pm

Ok then.. :mrgreen:

Tell them to visit online cycling forums(here or TE) and see what info they can find. I think if i were a guy, i'd just have a cycling website list & just pass it on...Just don't tell them your user name...

Colin...so many things I could say but it would get me into trouble... :shock: :oops:

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:38 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:While not spin class related, these two items are specifically about the issues of cycle fit/positioning for women:
Thanks Alex, we really appreciate the information.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Sat May 01, 2010 11:10 pm

Max wrote:
Robdog wrote:
I sooooooo was thinking of the wrong "lips" when I read that. :oops: :mrgreen:

Max
:lol: Pleased to say I'll never have *that* particular issue.... :roll:
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

orphic

Postby orphic » Thu May 06, 2010 2:20 pm

Mike - before they go and spend money on shorts or anything like that, tell them to try applying a bit of vaseline to the area that is affected before the class and see if that makes a difference. It will essentially work like the body glide product mentioned above, and prevent dry chaffing which is probably what they are experiencing.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:04 pm

OMGosh :shock: again Hey respect, what are you, advertising. Not allowed on this forum

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:09 pm

Apple wrote:OMGosh :shock: again Hey respect, what are you, advertising. Not allowed on this forum
I thought so, I wasn't alone. I resealed his can :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011