TT and Crit Training

RobRollin

TT and Crit Training

Postby RobRollin » Mon May 03, 2010 11:40 am

Anyone interested in getting a group together for TT training and a crit? I was thinking of something new to do, good fast training, (kind of a crit)

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/au/belle ... 5034350046

It’s a nice fast course, not much traffic, off the main roads, Alexandra Esplanade is quite wide. (Ive been down there a couple of weekends in a row and it's quiet, smooth surface along Alexandra Esplanade)

What about doing this one weekend leading up to the TT in June. Get a group of us together and it would become like a crit. Bit of fun whilst training!
Last edited by RobRollin on Mon May 03, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

twizzle

Re: TT and Crit Training

Postby twizzle » Mon May 03, 2010 11:42 am

I would have through TT's and crits would have been at the opposite ends of the 'consistency' scale - ie. crits is about explosive surges not pacing.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon May 03, 2010 12:00 pm

They are but it's something fun to do as a group, being unsanctioned by Tri Tas it would be a training event, therefore no liability or insurance. If your registered with the STVCC or Tri Tas then you should be covered under training. or if you have bike insurance through the various companies.

If we class this as a race then whom ever organised would be liable for any property or personal injury.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon May 03, 2010 3:14 pm

i am very interested in some organised (even regular) training, but i am aslo very cautious of fast riding in the city.

maybe we could source a country ride? Broadmarsh? or a loop some where...i know of some near Sorrell
when do we stop for coffee???

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 03, 2010 3:23 pm

twizzle wrote:I would have through TT's and crits would have been at the opposite ends of the 'consistency' scale - ie. crits is about explosive surges not pacing.
Or maybe not so much...the higher your TT power (FTP) then the smaller the matches you have to burn in the accelerations in the crits.Everything comes back to ftp me thinks....but you still need to be doing the VO2 stuff and higher which makes a spirited group ride a good way to go...but really if it isn't super hard group(ie:nearly a race) then maybe it isn't that great.An hour super hard in a group while be vastly more productive than 3 hours putting round in a paceline...hence chosing the right training partners is the hardest thing to do.Being nice and waiting for people is no good for training at all :lol: .

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon May 03, 2010 3:38 pm

oh an idea.........

20 x 2

So the road out to broadmarsh, we all go out hard for 20 minutes, then roll/recover for 1km, then race back to the start, if done correctly it will do its own handicap.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon May 03, 2010 3:43 pm

Barry, it's not in the city, it's on the Eastern Shore in Bellerive which on these roads is fairly isolated and very quiet. It's away from Clarence Street (main street). With the riders I would expect, between 5-15 from the Tri group and other riders I would expect it to be safe, yet fast and useful for training purposes.

We are also looking at going to the the New Town cycling track for organise group training in the coming future.

We regularly hold TT sessions down at Seven Mile without mishap (about as quiet as Bellerive) and going out to Richmond in the coming weeks.

We like to train on the same course as the TT will be held. Learn the bumps, holes, which way the wind comes from, corners etc.

TLL is right, group rides with riders who have similar goals makes for a great training session. 1 hour at the track or out on the TT course is better than 3 hours out on the road, faster, better for your FTP,VO2, lactate, work on aerodynamic posistion, setup etc.

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Mon May 03, 2010 3:55 pm

Rob, just let me know where and when !!!!

I am very interested in any training......(hopes its on during the weekend)