Remembering your old track days

foo on patrol

Remembering your old track days

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:50 pm

As the tile says, what do you remember most from your old track days?
One of my memories is, of racing at the Toowoomba track, at 10am, and the fog being that thick, you couldn't see 30mtrs in front of you. Made for interesting racing, during handicap races. :)
Christmas time, racing at Balmoral of a Friday night after my work break up, and and a few ales, and coming away with a dozen bottles of wine for the nights racing. 8)
Mind you, I Would not condone doing that now, that's drinking and racing!! I have no problem with the wine thing, for trophies at that time of the year, for those that are of age. :mrgreen:
That is a couple of my memories, so what's yours? :mrgreen:

Gary
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

scratchman

Re: Remembering your old track days

Postby scratchman » Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 pm

I raced on the Melbourne Olympic board track as a sub-junior, we were called the Melbourne Midgets.
My first impresssion was :shock: when you approached the bends at speed it was like riding into a wall, but after a short while it got to be real fun, those banks seemed very high when you were up the top.
I have memories of seeing other riders come off from the top and slide down the old boards..ouch, this could happen if you didn't have enough speed and you straightened up so your r.h. pedal hit the track, all good lessons for young kids.
Also the boards were at right angles to the fence and quite loose, they rattled a lot as you rode.
here's me
Phil

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue May 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Hey Scratchman, how fast were the boards back then, being at right angles?
I should try and dig up some of my pics, from mums collection.
Last edited by foo on patrol on Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Chaderotti

Postby Chaderotti » Tue May 04, 2010 6:18 pm

My first ever flying 200 I got 16 seconds. Felt sick the rest of the night and felt dizzy.

Now I'm doing sub 12 second flying 200's and I can do one maybe 5 minutes after my first? Clearly, the recovery isn't there quite yet :P
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Tue May 04, 2010 7:07 pm

foo on patrol wrote:He Scratchman, how fast were the boards back then, being at right angles?
I should try and dig up some of my pics, from mums collection.
Foo
well I haven't been fortunate enough to ride on the DISC velodrome ( yet ) so can't compare, but at the time they seemed plenty fast :D
please post up your mums pics
Cheers, Phil
Phil

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed May 05, 2010 6:19 am

You're getting there Chad! As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day. :)
Goal 6000km

ando

Postby ando » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:11 am

Goanna oil! Even today, many years later, if I smell it I immediately feel butterflies in my stomach and a feeling of anticipation. Weird but true.

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:02 pm

ando wrote:Goanna oil! Even today, many years later, if I smell it I immediately feel butterflies in my stomach and a feeling of anticipation. Weird but true.
Yah remember Penetrene (A favourite Liniment among Horse and Dog Owners)
green from memory, been around 80 odd years, "familiar smells" :wink:
Cheers,
BrentonO
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

Recycler

Postby Recycler » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:28 am

Great to read others stories, they bring back the past. In 1979 I was the sectretary of the Leongatha Amateur Cycling Club in South Gippsland Victoria. It was the the Grand Opening of the 400 Mtr. Concrete Velodrome. There were some good riders there, like Kenrick Tucker the Hammond & Trevorrow Brothers, Sal Sansonetti, C Fitzgerald, K Poole, and a lot more. I also raced in the Vetrans on my Hillman Super Pista. Those were the days! The club is still going strong in both Road and Track.
I have a Malvern Five Star track bike now which I still ride now and then. Keep the stories comming in. Bob :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:04 pm

Gotta tell you, trying to bump Kenrick Tucker out of the way, was like shoulder charging a brick wall!!!!!! :lol:

Foo
Goal 6000km

ando

Postby ando » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:06 pm

I'm a former member of Muswellbrook Cycling Club. Anyone who has ever ridden there will remember the steep banked veledrome. I was an active juvenile rider in the early 1980s. I mostly road track, but did also ride the road, though not as much. I have been to many carnivals at places like (Muswellbrook of course!) Tamworth, Grafton, Inverell, Wellington, Newcastle and Sydney. Phillip Allen, also of Muswellbrook, was my training partner. Phil was older than me so we never raced against each other - except every morning and afternoon at training! Other juvenile riders I recall from the time were Craig Chapman from Newcastle, Brian Smedley from Sydney, Brian Wesler (not sure of spelling) from Inverell, and of course Scott Sunderland, also from Inverell. Inverell has produced so many good cyclists, I don't know what is in the water up there but they always had such a good stable of good riders.
Anyone else from that era in NSW?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Here are some pics from yesteryear of Ipswich.

http://picture.ipswich.qld.gov.au:8080/awweb/main.jsp

This is one of the top blokes that helped me, when I started out

http://picture.ipswich.qld.gov.au:8080/ ... -0005p.jpg

http://picture.ipswich.qld.gov.au:8080/ ... 2280909283

http://picture.ipswich.qld.gov.au:8080/ ... 2281548158

Take note of the last one, dirt
Goal 6000km

toppity

Postby toppity » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:24 am

Recycler wrote:Great to read others stories, they bring back the past. In 1979 I was the sectretary of the Leongatha Amateur Cycling Club in South Gippsland Victoria. It was the the Grand Opening of the 400 Mtr. Concrete Velodrome. There were some good riders there, like Kenrick Tucker the Hammond & Trevorrow Brothers, Sal Sansonetti, C Fitzgerald, K Poole, and a lot more. I also raced in the Vetrans on my Hillman Super Pista. Those were the days! The club is still going strong in both Road and Track.
I have a Malvern Five Star track bike now which I still ride now and then. Keep the stories comming in. Bob :D
I love the leogatha track, though I've only ridden there a couple of times. The carinval there used to be great (i never was good enough to have a go in those though). My sister still lives down that way.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

brentono

Postby brentono » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:44 am

brentono wrote:
ando wrote:Goanna oil! Even today, many years later, if I smell it I immediately feel butterflies in my stomach and a feeling of anticipation. Weird but true.
Yah remember Penetrene (A favourite Liniment among Horse and Dog Owners)
green from memory, been around 80 odd years, "familiar smells" :wink:
Cheers,
BrentonO
As used by Sir Hubert Opperman, Cyclist
http://georgehagley.com.au/penetrenecool.html

Think that was who put me (and others at the time) on to it. :wink:
Cheers,
BrentonO
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

gclark8

Postby gclark8 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:13 pm

For me it was motor-bike, Caversham, Wanneroo, Lakeside, Surfers, Ameroo Park, Oran Park, Malalar, and the great Bathurst!!! :D
Cheers,
George.