So i'm bored right now....

tripstobaltimore

So i'm bored right now....

Postby tripstobaltimore » Fri May 07, 2010 7:16 pm

So I thought I'd have a play around with some power values.

Now lets say I weigh 86kg (which I do surprisingly enough). In my current guise, to achieve a competitive power to weight ratio of 6W/kg, I would need a FTP of 516W haha. Using the old hillclimbr calculator, I did a climb of 17min at a power of 306W, so lets assume this is my FTP. I've got a bit of work to do!

Say I go the route of dropping the kg's - I would need to weigh 53kg!!! I think I could personally get down to 75kg (although I would have no upper body, and I would have to be ridiculously strict), in which case I would need a FTP of 450W.

Have a shot, it's fun!

toolonglegs

Re: So i'm bored right now....

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 07, 2010 7:35 pm

tripstobaltimore wrote:I did a climb of 17min at a power of 306W, so lets assume this is my FTP.
Well if this was a full on effort climb and the numbers are right...your ftp is somewhere around 90-95% of 306w (275-290w) at 86kgs...3.35 w per kg approx.
But really why do you need upper body mass as a cyclist...so diet hard and get to 75kgs :D ...and improve your ftp 10% (that is a lot depending on how fit you are already).
New FTP 315w at 75kgs...4.2watts per kg...congrats you have just moved up a grade for sure! :D .

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Fri May 07, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm first and foremost a triathlete, so the upper body strength (and mass) comes from the swimming :D

I actually think my FTP has a huge room for improvement, I've been training seriously for less than a year, and thats spread over three disciplines. As for weight, I think I could easily get into the high 70's with more control on the diet, and without losing any strength, but I think that might be a focus down the track a bit.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 07, 2010 8:51 pm

You better keep that upper body mass then :lol: .
But I wouldn't worry too much...when you say a "competitive power to weight ratio of 6W/kg"...you are talking about a good enough power to weight to be riding in the TDF and possibly winning stages.I would be happy with 4.5w per kg :D .

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Fri May 07, 2010 9:39 pm

haha yeah definately - I was just doing it for fun, just to see what I would need to get there! Would love to win a TdF stage though.... :D

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sat May 08, 2010 2:20 pm

oh, and the 6W/kg I was using was based on 20min power, not FTP.

JakeTheSnake

Postby JakeTheSnake » Sun May 09, 2010 11:28 pm

To put a positive spin on things...

Unless you are built like a tank I'd say working hard on getting that figure up (focusing more on riding time than weights etc.) would bring down your body weight and you could use the two in tandem to get the power to weight your after.

I'm a glass half full kinda guy :lol: