Condor to keep the Eagle company

Minority

Condor to keep the Eagle company

Postby Minority » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:35 pm

Having reached the magic number (10 posts). I'll try and post a pic of the Indi Condor that I found.

The Condor will have to wait until I finish my first project, unknown frame with the Shimano 105 "Golden Arrow bits off the Condor. So far I have stripped and painted the frame and cleaned polshed and lubricated the brakes, crank and gears. Next i have to decide what to do with the wheels.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:48 pm

She's going to be stunning :D

Velly nice

Richard

btw mate, you've hosted those pics in photobucket. Please go into your album and use the edit function to reduce the size to 'message board' 640x280 - that stops the page from scrolling over and saves some poor moderator some work fixing it :wink:
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 pm

I agree with Europa - stunning. I've seen an old Cinelli with a similar paint colour and that was breathtaking too.

I have just finished rambling on (in the stem thread) about removing the annodised finish on components and how hard it is to accomplish. Your 600 components look spectacular - it must have taken many hours to achieve that brilliant finish - your bike is going to be something else.

Minority

Postby Minority » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:16 pm

Sorry richard,

I'll know for next time1

BTW the colour is from the current Kia Rio, I fell in love with it the first time I saw it, and yes it did take a little while polishing the shiny bits with the buffing wheel and compound on the bench grinder!
Last edited by Minority on Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McPete

Postby McPete » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:17 pm

God, that unknown frame is IDENTICAL to the frame of my Apollo III. You're missing an Apollo badge or two and a "TANGE TUBING" sticker. Mine of course, doesn't have such posh components... I'm swinging a Suntour Honor derailer, and what I assume is matching front one, on a Sugino GT crankset (180mm cranks), the stoppers being Dia-Compe standards.

I've actually been pondering doing a full restoration of it, make it last a while longer and make it look spiffy in the process... I'll ask questions when it's funded and given time.

EDIT: That crankset looks bloody familiar. I think you may have an old Apollo III frame there mate.
Last edited by McPete on Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

europa

Postby europa » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:21 pm

Minority wrote:I'll know for next time1
That's okay mate. BTW, you can do it now and we'll be right :wink: You've only post links to photobucket, not the pictures themselves.

Still reckon she's a stunning bike.

Richard

(everytime I admit defeat and accept TIG welded frames, someone posts a picture of lugs :roll: )

Minority

Postby Minority » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:34 pm

Your wish is my command (well at least the photobucket pics should now be 640 x 480) and thanks everybody for the positive comments.

As far as the next step goes (the wheels), I have a set of 27 x 1.25 Ukai ally rims with large flange Shimano ally hubs that should look good. unfortunately the spokes are very poor cosmetically.

With 2 x 36 spokes at $1 each for stainless steel i don't know if I can justify the expense ( the original idea was to spend virtually nothing on the rebuild apart from my time and effort).

europa

Postby europa » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:35 am

My plans to do wheel builds on the cheap always falls down on the cost of spokes - unfortunately the wheel builders undervalue their labour so you don't save much financially.

My son's BMX had very rusted spokes. He just painted them with rust converter, which turned them all black. Sure, they wouldn't go with the job you've done on that frame, but in the short term, they look a lot better than rusty.

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:56 am

Scored well there.

The green machine looks good as well. Hopefully mine will come up well.

Still waiting for the call to pick up the frame from getting powder coated :evil:

Spent a few minutes trying to clean up the stem on mine this weekend, but won't ghet that far to fully buffing. Just looking schmicker than what it was.

Interesting to see what you come up with on the wheels.

Minority

Postby Minority » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:59 pm

Here are the wheels that I think I'll fit to the project.

They are 27 x 1.25 Ukai alloy rims with large flange alloy Shimano hubs that should be about right period wise.

I'll post some more pics when I have cleaned them up a bit!

Minority

Postby Minority » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:29 pm

Got the rims, polished the hubs, now all I need is the spokes to build the wheels.

Birdman

Postby Birdman » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:08 pm

Very very nice work you are doing there. Who did the painting for you? The green is a nice colour although i'm not sure how it would look on a KIA.

Mitch.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKYS. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Until next time...

Minority

Postby Minority » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:17 am

I painted the frame myself.

The paint is Acrylic in a spray can which is fine for a small area like a bike frame. The secret of course is in the preparation, strip all the old paint, rub down with progressively finer grades of wet & dry, clean with wax & grease remover and a tack rag, a couple of coats of primer, a couple of coats of colour and a couple of coats of clear coat.

Its not as tough as powdercoat or a professional two pack job but very satisfying if you get a nice result!

And I still like the colour on the Kia Rio!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:32 am

Very keen on the polishing !!!

You'll have it so shiny that you won't want to get it wet or dirty.

Looking good though.

I got mine powder-coated as I couldn't be arsed doing the prep work myself, as well as not having the time, facilities and patience.

Looking forward to seeing it run !!

triode12

Postby triode12 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:34 pm

MichaelB wrote:Very keen on the polishing !!!

You'll have it so shiny that you won't want to get it wet or dirty.

Looking good though.

I got mine powder-coated as I couldn't be arsed doing the prep work myself, as well as not having the time, facilities and patience.

Looking forward to seeing it run !!
Did the powdercoaters know how to mask the frame properly?
Or did you have to do it yourself?
Live to ride another day.

Why take unnecessary risks? No matter how small they are...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:48 pm

triode12 wrote:
Did the powdercoaters know how to mask the frame properly?
Or did you have to do it yourself?
They did a pretty good job, only minor fiddling needed.

They had done bike frames previously