RIP: Cyclist killed south of Tuggeranong

mrgolf

RIP: Cyclist killed south of Tuggeranong

Postby mrgolf » Sun May 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Very sad. 60yo man riding with his wife run down by a ute. Condolences to family and friends of both parties involved.

Ride safe all...

HAKS

Re: RIP: Cyclist killed south of Tuggeranong

Postby HAKS » Sun May 16, 2010 7:58 pm

Not good at all. I had a feeling something bad had happened today when I rode past the morgue and there was about 4 cars there, including a cop car. Been Sunday I thought that was not the norm and would read something bad later in the day. There is it I guess, although could be completely unrelated.

Rest In Peace.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:45 am

Thomas family.

RIP mate. :(

JV911

Postby JV911 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:28 am

RIP

more:

Man killed, wife hurt as ute collides with cyclists at Tharwa

A 61-year-old cyclist from Monash was killed following a collision between a ute and two bicycles at Tharwa yesterday morning.

The man's 58-year-old wife who was riding the other bicycle was taken to Canberra Hospital after sustaining a number of injuries.

His death took the ACT's road toll this year to 13 exceeding the number of deaths on Canberra roads last year.

It came a day after an elderly man died in a two-car crash in Canberra's inner-southern suburb of Forrest.

Police, who were called to scene on Tharwa Drive, Tharwa, at about 11.40am, said the male driver of the white ute was not seriously injured and was helping them with their inquiries.

They were not able to give any further details about yesterday's collision last night, but urged anyone who may have witnessed it, and who had not yet come forward, to contact Crime Stoppers.

The weekend deaths came as Chief Minister Jon Stanhope said he hoped Canberra's new point-to-point speed cameras would challenge motorists' flippant attitudes towards road laws.

Mr Stanhope said the high-tech cameras might save lives where the existing technology had failed.

But Australia's largest motoring group warned it would scrutinise closely how the cameras were used in the capital, saying all money they raised should directly fund police patrols.

For more on this story, see the print edition of today's Canberra Times.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:26 pm

Hoping Anne continues to improve and that their daughter can manage at this awful time.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed May 19, 2010 6:50 pm

I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

misschloee87

Postby misschloee87 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:55 pm

Hi all

I am Chris's daughter.. I just found this site.

This week has been a little emotional - Dad was supposed to complete the Around the Bay ride in Melbourne (250km) this past Saturday. He was enjoying a recovery ride from his Around the Bay training when he was hit by the ute.

On a positive, my Mum has physically recovered completely from her injuries. She's a strong and determined woman.

I just read these posts for the first time and am not sure if anyone will even read this.. I know it's been a long time since but I felt like writing something to say how touched I am by all your messages about my Dad..

Keep riding safe :)

C

rockviewau

Postby rockviewau » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Hi Chloe,

Im glad you found the site and I know from not only the Canberrans here, but all people on the site, we wish you and your family, but especially your mum all the best in this situation. Im glad your mum is recovering well, it sounds very positive.

Best wishes

Lucas
Lucas Hayden

Current Ride: BMC SSX01

misschloee87

Postby misschloee87 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Thank you Lucas

Everyone's kindness never fails to surprise me.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Hello Chloe,

My heart goes out to you. We fight among ourselves a lot here on this forum, but we all love cycling and cyclists. Cycling is an indulgent sport and I do worry what would be for my family if I were hit on the road. So you have my most heartfelt condolences.

Andrew

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:08 am

All the best to you and your mother, Chloe. God bless you both. I am glad your mum is recovering well.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi Chloe - I heard about this awful situation through my friend Annette who you know from your work. Hang in there.

Fletcher

Postby Fletcher » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:56 am

Hi Chloe
Thank you for posting. It's good to hear your mum has recovered from her injuries, I had wondered about her recovery after reading earlier posts months ago. Best wishes to the both of you.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi Chloe,

Thank you for posting. It is always a sad thing to hear the passing of a person, especially a cyclist. MY heart goes out to you and your family. I am glad to hear your mum is recovering well. God bless.

Jon