Painting My Clunker - Options

Kingfisher

Painting My Clunker - Options

Postby Kingfisher » Fri May 14, 2010 5:04 pm

Ok, I've just stripped the paint and bits off my 22 year old Repco clunker and now I'm looking at painting it. I have a Fizik Arione Liquigas seat with a metallic sort of blue sheen to it that I want to replicate as the paint finish on the bike. My questions are: -Can anyone recommend a good powder coating place in Melbourne, preferably south east side. Other than rattle caning the bike, which Ive previously done on a golf cart of mine and the result was fair but not great - Is their another painting method I can look at to get a metallic sort of finish that powder coating colours don't seem to offer. Any advice - preferably friendly would be appreciated for a newbie. The saddle looks like this one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FIZIK-ARIONE-WIN ... 439f32cb28

Cheers.

brauluver

Re: Painting My Clunker - Options

Postby brauluver » Fri May 14, 2010 5:32 pm

Auto pro and the like, will make up a 400gm can of any colour you choose from a car manufacturers colour chart.
Still a rattle can, but if you take your time do it slowly with a few clear coats afterwards, I'm sure you could get a nice finish.
It will give you a far graeter chance of matching a color.

Welcome by the way :)

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Fri May 14, 2010 5:55 pm

I must say one thing, "a paint job is only as good as the preparation". Ain't nothin' wrong with rattle cans in my opinion, it's still paint but comes out of a can. I've rattled my two bikes with not too bad results (except a gloss/matt stuff up on 2nd bike :oops: ) . If I had a shed, compressor and spray gear, sure I'd use it instead of cans... but I don't :(
I'd take your saddle and go around to some smash repair joints and ask if they can do the job, and colour match to the seat. I'm thinking it will cost more than powder coating because of the extra time/labour involved to prep and spray...
Other than that, I'd paint it myself (with colour matched rattle cans made up) just for that satisfaction of self accomplishment :D

dodgiebros

Postby dodgiebros » Fri May 14, 2010 5:57 pm

:oops: I meant to quote braula there too...

Kingfisher

Postby Kingfisher » Sat May 15, 2010 11:04 am

Ok so it looks like either I settle for the closet colour match that I can get with powder coating or I revisit my poor rattle can skills. :shock: Is there a thread already on this site for tips/techniques for rattle caning your bike? Apart from being patient and doing light coats, what tips can you give me, ie. do I need to add a primer, if so what product works best and how much do I apply? Whats the best technique for applying the colour, what type of product works best and do I need to light sand between coats, oh and how many coats do I do. Finally clear coating, I will look at doing as many coats as I can, but what product can you recommend?
Open to as much advice as your willing to give........

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat May 15, 2010 2:17 pm

Kingfisher wrote:Ok, I've just stripped the paint and bits off my 22 year old Repco clunker and now I'm looking at painting it. I have a Fizik Arione Liquigas seat with a metallic sort of blue sheen to it that I want to replicate as the paint finish on the bike. My questions are: -Can anyone recommend a good powder coating place in Melbourne, preferably south east side. Other than rattle caning the bike, which Ive previously done on a golf cart of mine and the result was fair but not great - Is their another painting method I can look at to get a metallic sort of finish that powder coating colours don't seem to offer. Any advice - preferably friendly would be appreciated for a newbie. The saddle looks like this one http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FIZIK-ARIONE-WIN ... 439f32cb28

Cheers.
Another option would be having it painted my a spray painter.
There are company's that do this.
Or a local panelshop could also help.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

mick_copetti

Postby mick_copetti » Mon May 17, 2010 8:08 pm

stupid question, what is the difference between powder coating, enamel and arcrylic paint? What is the best? :?:

shizmo

Postby shizmo » Tue May 18, 2010 12:13 am

I am just looking into painting my Indi 500 Frame.... Best price for blast + powder is 70$... i wonder if i strip the paint myself to metal what price a powder by itself would be? That could be an option i hear that a sand blast is kinda overkill it isn't too hard to strip it back then let the pro's do the powder coat for 35ish $$ i assume?

I have chosen a relativly easy colour to paint i think... Grey... So i might strip it back and give it a go myself i have yet to decide. But my time seems more valuable that the 35$ for a pro paint job right?

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Tue May 18, 2010 12:13 pm

whats the colour range like with powder coating? is there any restrictions etc?

njbchapman

Postby njbchapman » Tue May 18, 2010 5:43 pm

shizmo wrote:I am just looking into painting my Indi 500 Frame.... Best price for blast + powder is 70$...
where are you based mate? i'd be interested in finding a place in sydney that would do both for that price.

Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 pm

shizmo wrote:I am just looking into painting my Indi 500 Frame.... Best price for blast + powder is 70$... i wonder if i strip the paint myself to metal what price a powder by itself would be? That could be an option i hear that a sand blast is kinda overkill it isn't too hard to strip it back then let the pro's do the powder coat for 35ish $$ i assume?

I have chosen a relativly easy colour to paint i think... Grey... So i might strip it back and give it a go myself i have yet to decide. But my time seems more valuable that the 35$ for a pro paint job right?
I'd pay the $70. That price for both is seriously cheap. You'd probably find they wont knock much off the price for just the powdercoat, they are probably just doing the sandblast for nicks, and you'll spend a massive amount of time getting all the paint off!

Evetsllub

Postby Evetsllub » Tue May 18, 2010 8:57 pm

backofthebunch wrote:whats the colour range like with powder coating? is there any restrictions etc?
Its pretty limited. nowhere near as extensive as paint.

Dahondude

Postby Dahondude » Tue May 18, 2010 11:00 pm

Evetsllub wrote:
backofthebunch wrote:whats the colour range like with powder coating? is there any restrictions etc?
When I got my frame powdercoated they had a choice of about 60 different colours, so not that limited.
Schwinn Madison single speed
Trek 1500
Centurion Equaliser
Avanti MTB converted to single speed

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue May 18, 2010 11:20 pm

Dahondude wrote:
Evetsllub wrote:
When I got my frame powdercoated they had a choice of about 60 different colours, so not that limited.
I can as a painter offer you more then 10.000 different colors, and you can can have more then one color ....
so 60 compared to 10.000 is to me 'limited'...
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue May 18, 2010 11:35 pm

shizmo wrote:I am just looking into painting my Indi 500 Frame.... Best price for blast + powder is 70$...

Just saying that the best price doesn't also mean the best job... :?
Cheaper is not always better...
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

shizmo

Postby shizmo » Wed May 19, 2010 12:18 pm

damhooligan wrote:Cheaper is not always better...
Very true, if i was building a race bike or something similar then throwing a few hundred at a paint job would be very reasonable.

70$ price is from Perth in Osborne park and that is by far the cheapest out of about 10 different places i called. Although one place quoted a Powder coat for 35$ so that is decent if you strip the frame yourself....

In the end i have a painter mate who talked me into doing it myself with his help, he has everything i need to strip the thing he reckons it is easy as cake with the right gear. Then once its tidy just nice gently layers of prime (With PLENTY of drying time alot of people fail this bit) nicely sanded. Get a can or two of half decent paint all up cost maybe 30$ish with added satisfaction of doing it myself. I would prefer to get a little better at it as it is a handy skill to have i am sure i will cross plenty of things that could use a paint in the future.

YoungPodge

Postby YoungPodge » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Rattle cans. Cheap and not particularly clean.
It's a clunker bike. How good do you want it to look?
Why am I wasting perfectly good riding time sitting in front of a computer?

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:04 pm

I've got a clunker frame set aside. Paint badly scuffed, rust in a lot of places, stickers peeling, etc. Just gave it a coat of raw linseed oil to arrest the rust. Waiting on next council clean-up for more parts to scavenge.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Kingfisher

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:43 pm

I was originally going to build up my old Repco as a single speed as cheaply as possible. But after seeing a lot of the pics and builds on here and other sites I have been spending more than I would like :oops: , or shall I say a little more than I would admit to my bank manager :wink: I've decided to spend a little more and either powder coat it or look at one of the blokes on this site to spray paint it. Hopefully it will look like the ducks guts when I eventually get it done 8)

flashrider

Postby flashrider » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:58 pm

Mate, top idea...for the money and the finish p'coating is hard to beat. You do lose a bit of DIY, but if yer keen, get hold of the sandblasted frame pre-powdercoating and rub that baby back 'til she's smooth. Nylon scourers, Scotchbrites, will reduce the amount of powder needed and improve the finish, better if you have interesting lugs.
Projectus Distractus Maxima.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:17 am

I'm still tossing up between getting my project bike sandblasted + powdercoated, or sanding it back and rattle spraying it myself.

I should be able to get a decent finish doing it myself. Shouldn't cost too much either. Just will take a lot of time. Powder coating will be easier and more durable.

Can anyone suggest a decent powder coater south of the river? I know there's a few around Welshpool, Maddington and Canningvale, but not sure if any are good with bikes?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:16 am

elStado wrote:I'm still tossing up between getting my project bike sandblasted + powdercoated, or sanding it back and rattle spraying it myself.

I should be able to get a decent finish doing it myself. Shouldn't cost too much either. Just will take a lot of time. Powder coating will be easier and more durable.

Can anyone suggest a decent powder coater south of the river? I know there's a few around Welshpool, Maddington and Canningvale, but not sure if any are good with bikes?
southside poweder coaters, pretty much most people use him

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:23 am

jaseyjase wrote:southside poweder coaters, pretty much most people use him
Little out of the way but I'll give them a call.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

|nick|

Postby |nick| » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:21 am

i strongly suggest getting it powdercoated. I have stripped my bike and rattle canned it and with my friends i got hers sand blasted and powdercoated for $75.

With mine i bought:
1x 3m Paint stripper 500g Aerosol ~$13 (supercheap auto)
1x K&H Grey Primer
1x K&H Gloss Black
1x K&H Clear Coat ~$45
Total: $58

I have the cheap aussie export spray paint fade horribly before so i thought i'd do it properly. Stripped and wired brushed the stubborn areas which took a few hours. With a whole can of clear coat on it, it still will never be as glossy as a powdercoated surface and i've already got a few chips (every chip hurts) from the 3 weeks i've had it. I'm already contemplating getting it powdercoated :oops:

With the other bike it was sand blasted and powdercoated primerose for $75. The finish is so much nicer, it's definitely not as prone to losing paint than my one and you just sit back and wait. Just make sure you fully disassemble the frame.