Armstrong still searching for fitness

Aushiker

Armstrong still searching for fitness

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi

Are these excuses for what is to come?
Lance Armstrong may be among the favourites for the Tour de France, but the seven-times race winner is frustrated by his lack of fitness with the start of cycling's biggest race about six weeks away.

"Personally, I've struggled to find the condition I'd like," Armstrong said on Friday, two days prior to the start of the May 16-23 Tour of California.

"There were moments when I thought it was getting back and then I had physical or other health issues that came along and complicated things."
A little more at CyclingCentral ...

Regards
Andrew

shiv

Re: Armstrong still searching for fitness

Postby shiv » Sun May 16, 2010 10:53 pm

Although I am a Lance fan, this isnt just me defending him. But the guy is what, 39? He doesnt really need to make excuses, if he doesnt win its because his best was 5 years ago. Not a problem, just life. I know he wants to prove a point, but there is younger riders out there that are in their prime and better then he currently is. He should just ride, no statements of intent, no excuses, just see what happens.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 17, 2010 11:52 am

shiv wrote:He should just ride, no statements of intent, no excuses, just see what happens.
Hi

I agree which is why I find these sorts of messages (the one I posted) pointless.

Andrew

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue May 18, 2010 12:58 pm

I disagree if that's all he's quoted as saying. I don't see this example quoted here as an excuse. He is being reported at a press conference and answering questions presumably about his perceived lack of form on the eve of the ToC. Many riders struggle to find that elusive form year in year out. Lance is one of the older riders in the peleton and as you get older the form and the niggles can become frustrating.
He is also the continuing subject of so much interest worldwide within and outside cycling that he is almost duty bound to let the public and cycling press know every detail. No big deal to me just telling it like it is. All part of being a super star in the public eye and this TdF is where they expect him to put it on the line. Could be a part of that cunning Bruyneel's plan....let's wait and see. :)

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed May 19, 2010 11:11 am

Uncle Just wrote:Lance is one of the older riders in the peleton...
Which has me wondering, is there anyone in the top pro ranks who is older?

JV911

Postby JV911 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Jean wrote:Which has me wondering, is there anyone in the top pro ranks who is older?
big Jens is one day older

i'm sure there are a few dudes in their early 40's
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Wed May 19, 2010 12:31 pm

Whilst Lance is famous and a real fighter, (and he definitely gets points for what he has been through) he along with all the other superstars of cycling (Lemond, Indurain, Merckx, etc) have to realise when they are past their prime. If he has past his prime then he should get out and let the others have their day. He didn't win last year and I doubt he will win this year. He has a number of wins under his belt. He has fame, and fortune. He should be happy with that and move on to other things.
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed May 19, 2010 12:38 pm

on the other hand he says he's doing it to promote the Livestrong Foundation and that seems a fair enough ideal to me. He'd be very lucky to win a Grand Tour these days - there are quite a few younger cyclists who just want to kick his arse - but I don't see an issue if he's still competitive. Usually, he's still competitive, which is amazing given his mindset and the demands upon his time. I think he knows as well as anyone that age, condition, and circumstances mean he'll never be 'as good' as he was, but he's shown continually he's a determined competitor and you shouldn't write him off.

Jake

Postby Jake » Thu May 20, 2010 8:16 am

Geezuz. The guy came 3rd in the tour last year. Third! So he didn't win, big deal. How many younger, fitter riders were behind him wishing they had come third?

He has nothing to prove to anyone except the Armstrong bashers, or so it seems. :)

Cheers,
Jake
Trek Madone 5.5 - 2009
Epic Expert 29er - 2012