Ultrasonic Cleaner

ValleyForge

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:29 pm

twizzle posted on a Digitec Ultrasonic cleaner a while back viewtopic.php?f=44&t=17435#p240698 & I thought I'd post my experience.

A department at work was getting rid of a Unisonics cleaner so I took it off their hands. 2 yrs old, with a 30 x 25 x 15cm tank. It nearly fits a 54 chainwheel, but most things fitted in. It has a heater too and a manual timer. It's also got a drain.

I've experimented with some cleaning solutions - water & dishwashing liquid is OK, but pretty meager. I have some biodegradable degreaser which mixes up 1:5 with water. It gets clusters, wheels & brakes spotless after at least 45mins. BUT it stripped the anodising off my Gipiemme pedals unexpectedly. Also I used a product called TurboClean which is an automotive metal preparing solution for ultrasonics and this is "the goods". Old alloy & steel came out like new. No pre-cleaning, and needed to leave the parts in for an hour.

The model is a lot bigger & more powerful than the Digitec, but I can guess you agrue about whether it's woth the extra. New, this model is a couple of grand!
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

twizzle

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaner

Postby twizzle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Yep - some of those degreasers are highly alkaline. Kero does wonders for my stuff, and I just pour it back into the bottle afterwards. I wish mine had a drain... :(
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:39 pm

twizzle wrote:Yep - some of those degreasers are highly alkaline. Kero does wonders for my stuff, and I just pour it back into the bottle afterwards. I wish mine had a drain... :(
Yeah - I've realized the TurboClean can't be just flushed down the pipe! Gloves and protective goggles!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 19, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi

For those interested, the RogueMechanic has put out a video on the Ultrasonic Cleaner in action ... exciting :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWq0o2BP ... r_embedded[/youtube]

Regards
Andrew

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Wed May 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Not certain about this, so don't shoot me, but I've read somewhere that ultrasonic cleaners can't use flammable liquids. Having no experience with them I can't comment. My total guess must be that the electronics/electrical bits might ignite fumes, but I haven't actually read why.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed May 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Kero works fine in mine. :roll: No, I'm not recommending it.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed May 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Don't think you need anything flammable like kero in it in it anyway. I've gone to a biodegradable non-alkaline cleaner which works fine and I just put it down the sink when finished.

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Wed May 19, 2010 8:44 pm

Yeah, I did think it was one of those health and safety things that was safe to the nth degree. Kero and the like isn't that volatile anyway. Petrol might be dodgy though! I did read about it on a car forum where they're used for fuel injector cleaning.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu May 20, 2010 8:49 am

ValleyForge wrote:Don't think you need anything flammable like kero in it in it anyway. I've gone to a biodegradable non-alkaline cleaner which works fine and I just put it down the sink when finished.
I just put mine back in the bottle, let the solids separate out, then use it again. The crud in the bottom ends up in an old bottle... not sure what I'll do with it when it's full, but it's taking a long time to 'kill' the kero so I don't think it will be an issue any time soon.

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu May 20, 2010 2:10 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

For those interested, the RogueMechanic has put out a video on the Ultrasonic Cleaner in action ... exciting :)

Regards
Andrew
Well there's 41 seconds of my life that I wish I had back :roll:

jennyj

Postby jennyj » Thu May 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Anyone know where to buy this product online I am currently looking for it ?

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Thu May 12, 2011 7:03 pm

They used to sell them at Jaycar. This might work good for bigger parts

Look a bit further and you find $80

how to build one

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Thu May 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Jean wrote:

Regards
Andrew
lol, I actually found that quite interesting (you'll obviously not want me round for dinner :))

I always thought these things where hog wash, guess I was wrong.

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu May 12, 2011 8:33 pm

Jean wrote:

Regards
Andrew
im with that too im afraid, i used ultrasonic cleaners for years when i was working with industrial ceramics ( same stuff as space shuttle tiles) an ultrasonic cleaner is a glorified water vibrator, but if youve got one that works then hats off to you, however, if you need to use this cleaning solution and that chemical, and have the stars and planets all in alignment then you have to wonder what it is thats actually doing the cleaning. my advice is go to supacheap auto and get a proper parts washer for $180. and $20 for the degreaser and brush. or go to Shell, Mobil, BP and get yourself $1.50 worth of the good stuff. :wink:
steel is the real deal.