No votes

Total votes: 7
AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bicycles.net.au... the sticker... coming soon

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:50 am

Hi,
This is an announcement... and at the same time a reminder that I need to design and get a stickers made up...

The size will be 52mm x 74 mm and the idea (Thanks biker_4_fun & Mr 888) would be that they fit on the seat post. It is out of the way (won't destroy the paint work)... and easy to notice from behind... you guys are so fast!!!

Here is the first question... does it make sense to promote bicycles.net.au or specifically the forums. I will review the results and make a decision (well not necessarily based on the votes... but influenced by the voting).

Next step is to make a design... will post here first for feedback :)

Cheers
Christopher
Last edited by AUbicycles on Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:14 am

That's a tricky one Christopher, as I'm sure you feel that the site is the main thrust and the forum is a side line - I wouldn't argue with that line of thinking.

On the other hand, the community we're building up here is a good 'bait' and can be used as a gateway to the rest of your site.

I reckon a sticker like the logo on the top left corner of this page would be perfect (and you don't have to design anything :D but that's not why I suggested it). It's short, it's clear and it does both without appearing to do both. I like the line 'Australian Cycling Forums' too - it's a great tag for local advertising. The drawback is the orientation ie it's wide where to work on a seat post, you need tall. However, that orientation would work nicely across the pouch that hangs under your seat carrying your spare tube, etc.

Personally, I'm not likely to put stickers on my bike - that's just me, I don't have any issue with other people who do. I might put one or two on my panniers ... or on that seat bag now that I think about it. If the logo on the top corner were made into a sticker, I'd put one or two on my car (I'm not a big one for car stickers either, but I would in this case).

Richard

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:38 am

europa wrote:That's a tricky one Christopher, as I'm sure you feel that the site is the main thrust and the forum is a side line - I wouldn't argue with that line of thinking.

On the other hand, the community we're building up here is a good 'bait' and can be used as a gateway to the rest of your site.

I reckon a sticker like the logo on the top left corner of this page would be perfect (and you don't have to design anything :D but that's not why I suggested it). It's short, it's clear and it does both without appearing to do both. I like the line 'Australian Cycling Forums' too - it's a great tag for local advertising. The drawback is the orientation ie it's wide where to work on a seat post, you need tall. However, that orientation would work nicely across the pouch that hangs under your seat carrying your spare tube, etc.
I agree with all of that. I did cast my vote as generic but I agree that the forums would be a good bait. Personally I don't have an issue with putting a sticker on my seat post (don't have a seat bag anyway). It's a mountain bike that I ride through dirt and mud etc so it's not going to win any fashion awards anyway (not to say the sticker won't be fashionable haha :P )

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:46 am

Fashion awards? You don't know me very well do you :D My girlfriend has realised that the smart move is to give up on me (in that regard) but can't bring herself to do it. :shock:

Nah, it's not fashion, just some inner glitch. As it is, the only stickers on my car are AUFC stickers. It's a credit to this forum that I'd put one of its stickers on the car (where it's more likely to be seen incidentally).

Richard

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:52 am

europa wrote:Fashion awards? You don't know me very well do you :D My girlfriend has realised that the smart move is to give up on me (in that regard) but can't bring herself to do it. :shock:
Haha not you, I meant the bike :P. I saw the picture and it's looking very nice.

I would put the sticker on my car too if I had a spare. I've only ever put one sticker on my car and thats for fbi 94.5fm radio station if you've ever heard of them. they play 50% aussie music and 50% of that is from Sydney and they're not for profit and no I'm not trying to give them a free plug haha, just showing that its not one of those typical 'commercial' stations

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:04 pm

Fashion? How about this

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:50 pm

haha I hope you're wearing two gloves and not trying to go Michael Jackson style... Is he black? Is he white? who knows

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:54 pm

sbra9635 wrote:haha I hope you're wearing two gloves and not trying to go Michael Jackson style... Is he black? Is he white? who knows
Two gloves.

Isn't Michael Jackson whiter than me?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:56 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
sbra9635 wrote:haha I hope you're wearing two gloves and not trying to go Michael Jackson style... Is he black? Is he white? who knows
Two gloves.

Isn't Michael Jackson whiter than me?
Only on weekends :P

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:14 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe the way to do it is to list the simple URL (bicycles.net.au) but with text "Australian Cycling Forums"... The correct URL is too long... and people coming to the homepage will easily find the forum.

The stick will be portrait... ie tall rather than wide... so will probably work like this:

-------------------
|bicycles.net.au|
| |
| (Cool Graphic)|
| |
| Australian |
| Cycling |
| Forums |
-------------------

(Come to think of it... thats a pretty sharp design already!)

For "Hard Core" forum members I will send (to who ever want them) stickers... for otherwise they will be free but with a stamped self-addressed envelope.

Cheers
Christopher

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:50 am

AUbicycles wrote:Maybe the way to do it is to list the simple URL (bicycles.net.au) but with text "Australian Cycling Forums"... The correct URL is too long... and people coming to the homepage will easily find the forum.

The stick will be portrait... ie tall rather than wide... so will probably work like this:

-------------------
|bicycles.net.au|
| |
| (Cool Graphic)|
| |
| Australian |
| Cycling |
| Forums |
-------------------
Just my 2 cents here.

I would have thought the key eye catchers are the graphics (we are about cycling) and the URL (here is where you find us). I think the full title "Australian Cycling Forum" can be abbreviated to ACF or a small font size to make room for larger graphics and more prominant URL. It would have most impact if the URL can be easily read off by another cyclist or motorist. As for the abbreviated ACF, it can potentially be worked into the graphics in an attractive way.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:56 am

Christopher, if you cannabilize the logo that you've put on the forum already (in the layout that you showed) as you said, it's just about done!
Is there any chance of it being reflective?
I'd also use a longer landscape sticker as a chainstay protector (instead of the plain black tape that I currently have!) as my seat post is largely taken up with a bag for spare tube / tyre levers etc. Maybe that's a whole different issue anyway.
I'm happy to pay for a sticker - after all, membership of the forum is free.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:10 am

peterrjleach wrote: Is there any chance of it being reflective?
Will push the price up to about $10 a sticker... maybe for round 2.

peterrjleach wrote: I'd also use a longer landscape sticker as a chainstay protector (instead of the plain black tape that I currently have!)
What... and get it all greasy!!! :)
peterrjleach wrote: I'm happy to pay for a sticker - after all, membership of the forum is free.
Thanks... for hard core users I am happy to hand them out for free.. infact will send out a bundle so that all of your cycling buddies get one as well.

Cheers
Christopher

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:49 am

The seatpost is out for me as it's hidden by the rack bags. I put stickers on my frame anyway. They're handy for covering paint chips after I patch the chips.

I think the design you have come up with is good.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:54 am

AUbicycles wrote:
peterrjleach wrote: Is there any chance of it being reflective?
Will push the price up to about $10 a sticker... maybe for round 2.
B*gger! I just thought it was a good idea. Maybe there really is a reason why the bike shops want $$$ for a few strips of Scotchbrite!
AUbicycles wrote:
peterrjleach wrote: I'd also use a longer landscape sticker as a chainstay protector (instead of the plain black tape that I currently have!)
What... and get it all greasy!!! :)
I was thinking of something along the lines of this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-SHIMANO-VINY ... dZViewItem only advertising bicycles.net.au rather than Shimano. It wouldn't only get greasy, it would get bashed around a bit - but that's the whole point of a chainstay protector anyway.
I think that the sticker is a terrific idea, so I'll keep the red herring level down a bit from here on.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:23 am

AUbicycles wrote: Thanks... for hard core users I am happy to hand them out for free.. infact will send out a bundle so that all of your cycling buddies get one as well.
What do you define as a 'hardcore' user?

I'm happy to pay. Heck, we've got 4 bikes at home that all get used so I'll put them on and when I get my road bike next yr i can chuck on another one. Plus my mates ride too.

Did anyone see at the SpringCycle, the family that had A4 advertisements for Summer Hill Meats on their backs, including the children? Was pretty effective as I still remember it haha.

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:51 pm

I don't think many peolple will have a lot of room on their seat posts, but the chainstay idea is good. It'll work even better on the seatstays or the "opposite" to chain stay member (not sure what it's called) as you get a longer, albeit slightly thinner, platform to work with.

Peter's idea of having reflectors is fantastic! I don't mind spending the extra $$$ for additonal saftey.

I'm sure all of us are willing to help promote this site.

Let us know how we can help :wink:

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:36 pm

What's a chainstay?

EDIT: nvm, I used my Google powers. Yeah that'd be a good spot for a sticker too! or any of the stays for that matter.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:21 am

hmm ...

chainstay. Best I could do (without exploding the budget) is horizontal stickers however have the feeling that on the chainstay it would disintrigrate fairly quickly.

The horizontal format is nicer... and even I have a toolkit on my bike which would also block anything on the seat post.

I would suggestion this, lets get some stickers madde up first, they may not be the perfect solution however if they work well then for round two we will work on ideas such as reflection or a proper chainstay protector.

sbra9635, although you have a difficult user name... you are one of the most hard core members... the amount of posts in such a short time qualifies you easily :)

Cheers
Christopher

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:40 am

I would give the chainstay option a miss for the good reasons listed above. I would not turn my bike into a messy advertising board and would only selectively put on quality sticker. So a smaller round or square sticker for the seatpost/downpost/crossbar/seat tube makes much more sense.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:11 am

AUbicycles wrote:sbra9635, although you have a difficult user name...
My username is just the login that my uni allocated to me when i started 5 yrs ago. I just used it coz its easy to remember :P You guys can always just use my real name instead (It's Shannon btw)

Monty

Postby Monty » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:05 pm

sbra9635 wrote:Did anyone see at the SpringCycle, the family that had A4 advertisements for Summer Hill Meats on their backs, including the children? Was pretty effective as I still remember it haha.
Hey, I think I remember seeing them too... were the shirts a light blue colour? Very effective advertising!

Oh, and I'd definitely be happy to put one of those stickers on my new bike. I'd prolly be happy to pay a bit extra for reflective, but then I'd be equally as happy with a plain one too. I suppose having them cheaper would mean more could be made up for less and therefore there'd more to distribute.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:43 pm

sbra9635 wrote:What do you define as a 'hardcore' user?
Someone who has the rank 'hardcore' above their avatar :?: :D

biker_4_fun

Postby biker_4_fun » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:29 pm

awsome cant wait to get the sticker :D well come to think of it i belive im a freak at this forum.. lol well my friends do any way.. they say im more into bikes then any1 they know

Cheers, Mark

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:40 am

Hi All

Here is my suggestion for the stickers. It is very simple as it should be easy to read & understand quickly. There is a gradient (like on bicycles.net.au) which makes it a little prettier (more dynamic and interesting).

As you will notice, the sticker has a very short quick message, cycling forums can be found at bicycles.net.au .. (in fact, when they are out I will get everyone to post photos of them on the bikes and about).

Let me know which version your prefer. To make the decision easier for you I have made a quick example of the most obvious places the vertical and horizontal stickers can be placed on a bike. It is quite easy to see which version has more possibilities. (Remember end size is 7.4 x 5.2 cm)

I will send them off soon... so any comments (even short ones) need to be posted here pretty quickly. When this is done... from December, they will be available.

Cheers
Christopher