New Project

knaps

New Project

Postby knaps » Sat May 22, 2010 6:55 pm

I thought I would share a project of mine with whoever cares to read about it, I have recently purchased all these parts + a nice cheap frame too see what all the fuss was about (the frame) and build the thing up. I hope this forum is not full of opinionated loud mouths that do not see the world past their own handlebars. If you don’t like my build I don’t care, don’t read the post if you don’t like it.

Here is a list of what I ordered:

Easton EA50 XC Bar
Ritchey Comp Stem
Gravity Logo Seatpost
Shimano Freewheel 17T
Nuke Proof Lock On Grip
Kore Road Rim Tape
Spank Tweet Tweet Single Speed Chain
Airwave Road Tube
Selle Italia C2 Saddle
SwissStop Viking Brake Pads
Cane Creek Direct Curve Brake Lever
Shimano 105 Brakes Black 5600 - Front
SRAM S300 1.1 Chainset - 175mm 48t
Crank Brothers Acid 1 2010
Vittoria Rubino Pro Tyre (Front & Rear)
Halo Aerorage Track Wheel Set
Teflon Coated Brake Cable
Headset Spacers
Gusset Alloy Axle Nuts

I am waiting on delivery of everything apart from the frame, front wheel and head stem, the rest should arrive by the end of next week. For those interested I will post pictures of the build process and the complete bike. For those who can’t help themselves question then yes I am running a 17T freewheel (I don’t want this bike to be a fixed gear) and yes I am only using a front brake.

Thank you for reading.

dodgiebros

Re: New Project

Postby dodgiebros » Sat May 22, 2010 7:15 pm

sounds good.... looking forward to progress pics :mrgreen:

knaps

Postby knaps » Sat May 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Cheers, it's now all up to international parcel delivery fairies.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat May 22, 2010 7:58 pm

48x17 is my preference at the mo too. 74 GI is a nice mid range if you have some hills to contend with.
Track frame or roady conversion?
Frame type, ally or CroMo?
Don't be too aggressive in your attitude as a noob, this isn't fixed dot org, eveyone is friendly and supportive. :wink:
look forward to the build pics, have fun with it.

saintdarth

Postby saintdarth » Sat May 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Easton EA50 XC Bar
Ritchey Comp Stem
Gravity Logo Seatpost
Shimano Freewheel 17T
Nuke Proof Lock On Grip
Kore Road Rim Tape
Spank Tweet Tweet Single Speed Chain
Airwave Road Tube
Selle Italia C2 Saddle
SwissStop Viking Brake Pads
Cane Creek Direct Curve Brake Lever
Shimano 105 Brakes Black 5600 - Front
SRAM S300 1.1 Chainset - 175mm 48t
Crank Brothers Acid 1 2010
Vittoria Rubino Pro Tyre (Front & Rear)
Halo Aerorage Track Wheel Set
Teflon Coated Brake Cable
Headset Spacers
Gusset Alloy Axle Nuts
I see you hammered the credit card for this one!
17T freewheel
nothing wrong with this one, same as mine!!!!!
and yes I am only using a front brake.
same again and I am definately not one of the fixie hip crowd. 50+ but enjoy the ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingfisher

Postby Kingfisher » Sun May 23, 2010 7:37 am

Welcome.
Whats your budget for this build or are you not bothered with the end price. It all sounds good and looking forward to the pics. :mrgreen:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun May 23, 2010 3:22 pm

Come on...you cant tell us all those parts and leave out the frame!!

Jim

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun May 23, 2010 10:09 pm

This is gonna be good, bring on the pics :D

Nobody here give a stuff what you ride. You ride, that's the good bit.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Stuey

Postby Stuey » Sun May 23, 2010 10:31 pm

familyguy wrote:Come on...you cant tell us all those parts and leave out the frame!!

Jim
Bugger! Knaps knew he's forgotten to order SOMETHING... :wink:

knaps

Postby knaps » Mon May 24, 2010 12:37 pm

I will make this quick and get to the point and try to reply to all comments.

Brauluver: I purchased a brand new "aluminium track frame" from eBay. There is a lot of mixed reviews and opinions about the frame so I decided to purchase one to give my feedback and well because I was pretty curious to see what the frame is like. Secondly, I just wanted to make sure my motivation for this build was clear, did not mean to sound aggressive. it’s just that other forums people like to comment for the sake of having something to say, usually not very constructive.

Saintdarth: No credit card used for this build, just cash.

Kingfisher: About $1000 I set aside for a nice simple build.

Family Guy: I don't want to name the frame because the thread will get into a debate over the use of the chosen frame. It’s not too hard to work it out though based on what I have said. Brand new track frame from eBay, comes from China, questionable ride quality etc.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Mon May 24, 2010 1:30 pm

I'll tnd to agree with Braulover's comments, we haven't even seen the pictures yet. Incidentally, comments fall into two main categories; helpful and wind-up, so don't get too twisted up by other peoples views/opinions... they're generally worth <2c

Mine - if I know the frame you're talking about - is that frame and forks will be okay for blatting around the city and short trips but if you tried to do any serious distance on it you'd get to hate it quickly enough. For something that cheap there has to be a downside. I am, however, thinking of getting one for a cheap track bike. IMO stiff and solid is good on the track and I think aluminium alloy gives best bag for the buck in that application.

knaps

Postby knaps » Mon May 24, 2010 2:03 pm

@rustychisel I just wanted to ensure I was clear from the start as to my intentions for the build and posting my experiences, I understand that people will say what they say I just thought I would save anyone the trouble of posting negative comments by letting everyone know how I feel about that.

I have other bikes so this is not my daily ride, but merely something that’s going to answer my curiosity and be nice to look at if failing everything else :D

backofthebunch

Postby backofthebunch » Mon May 24, 2010 3:01 pm

wish I had a grand to have a bike i like to look at if nothing else!!!

looking forward to seeing the result.

knaps

Postby knaps » Mon May 24, 2010 3:18 pm

@backofthebunch I will ride the thing as long as I can stand it and if the frame is really that crappy I guess I will have to replace it down the line, however I think this might not need to happen. I do not own a car so I have the cash to throw at two wheels and by purchasing smart I am able to have something “pretty” and well spec’d at the same time.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Mon May 24, 2010 5:15 pm

knaps wrote: I have other bikes so this is not my daily ride, but merely something that’s going to answer my curiosity and be nice to look at if failing everything else :D
Worst cas e scenario would see it become a dedicated track bike like mine, as thats what the geo is best suited for.I've met another guy who rides one on the street and he loves it.
Plenty of folk here are curious are about these frames, so that makes us Pioneers mate :wink:
Ther are a few of em on FGG, and velospace now too, so it's not just the aussies who like em.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon May 24, 2010 8:38 pm

knaps wrote: Family Guy: I don't want to name the frame because the thread will get into a debate over the use of the chosen frame. It’s not too hard to work it out though based on what I have said. Brand new track frame from eBay, comes from China, questionable ride quality etc.
Its a better fixed frame than I've got :wink:

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue May 25, 2010 12:28 am

Let us know how those Halo Aerorage's go!
Might be keen on picking up a set.

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Tue May 25, 2010 11:16 am

knaps wrote:I have other bikes so this is not my daily ride, but merely something that’s going to answer my curiosity and be nice to look at if failing everything else :D
I did something similar a few weeks ago, and started riding a fixed gear to work instead of my mtb. I just did it for the sake of it and was just expecting it to feel like a normal bike without gears, but without sounding too much like a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! it really doesn't. I was set on starting with a freewheel and experimenting with fixed, but someone here told me to do it the other way. I would definately recommend this - fixed changes the dynamic completely and has transformed the way i ride. I got back on the mtb for a trail ride this weekend, and after only two weeks on the fixie my climbing is 100% better and i just feel much stronger and more fluid in the legs

I haven't missed gears once and feel stronger and smoother already. I would definately start fixed though, and just switch if you hate it. What is your reasoning for wanting a freewheel? I just thought it would be a smoother transition from geared bikes, but now i think it misses a lot of the benefits too.

knaps

Postby knaps » Tue May 25, 2010 1:08 pm

Well first of all, you are looking at what I am doing based on assumptions, how do you know I don't already ride fixed gear bikes?

How do you know what I ride? Does not matter to me in the slightest really, I understand and respect your comments though.

The curiosity I talk about I s for the frame only. Freewheel on this particular bike well because if I end up selling it as a new custom built bike then it opens up the market share a little wider as opposed to selling a fixed gear bike (my experiences in the past have taught me this)

Does this clear the air for you Alistair?

knaps

Postby knaps » Tue May 25, 2010 2:08 pm

Also the rear hub is a fixed / free setup, I will put a fixed cog on after I build the bike. Sorry Alistair I forgot to mention that when i listed the parts!

Alistair

Postby Alistair » Tue May 25, 2010 3:35 pm

knaps wrote:Well first of all, you are looking at what I am doing based on assumptions, how do you know I don't already ride fixed gear bikes?

How do you know what I ride? Does not matter to me in the slightest really, I understand and respect your comments though.

The curiosity I talk about I s for the frame only. Freewheel on this particular bike well because if I end up selling it as a new custom built bike then it opens up the market share a little wider as opposed to selling a fixed gear bike (my experiences in the past have taught me this)

Does this clear the air for you Alistair?
Honestly, i don't really care - it was just a suggestion someone made to me and i have appreciated!

knaps

Postby knaps » Tue May 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Sweet as, I was just trying to answer your questions.

knaps

Postby knaps » Fri May 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Two weeks have passed and I still have not received my order from a very large reputable online store.

I have the frame which is exactly how I expected it to be, from initial inspection it seems to me that for the money paid and for what you get is pretty decent. Headset cups installed and I double checked the spacing for wheels and everything is in order.

I did however receive a delivery from a different online store, due to stock levels I had to order my wheels and head stem from this store. The front wheel and head stem were delivered, but not the rear wheel (back order) which is very annoying. Should arrive late next week, not counting my chickens until they hatch though.

I expect to get the big order delivered to my on Monday or Tuesday as according to the online tracking system it left the UK Wednesday evening.

Pretty boring post but I wanted to ensure anyone following this that I had not forgotten about it!

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri May 28, 2010 7:11 pm

knaps wrote: but I wanted to ensure anyone following this that I had not forgotten about it!

assure

Anyway, that must p!ss you off totally. I've never gone ahead with a back order, and been lucky, 'cause I know I'd be really annoyed if I got half the goodies.

knaps

Postby knaps » Fri May 28, 2010 7:29 pm

What really got to me and lead me to call the customer service line based in the UK was the webpage said the item was in stock and ready to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, hence why I ordered from them. I only found out it was going to be a back order when I rang them asking why I have half of my stuff... "Oh sorry, the webpage is not live with its stock levels" was the reply I got.