Ride of Silence 22 May 10

Clydesdale Scot

Ride of Silence 22 May 10

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat May 15, 2010 4:23 pm

The annual Ride of Silence is on Sat 22 May 2010, to remember those riders killed or injured
'The day will begin at Victoria Square at 10.30am for the Ride which will run east through the city onto Hackney Tce and then anticlockwise around Robe Terrace, Fitzroy Terrace, Park Terrace, Port Road and West Terrace to the Box Factory.'
Organised by BISA
2010 Ride of Silence - Saturday 22nd May. | Bicycle Institute of South Australia
and Ride of Silence - Adelaide Cyclists

Skexis

Re: Ride of Silence 22 May 10

Postby Skexis » Sat May 22, 2010 1:48 pm

My thoughts on today's ride. Well organised, good shepherding from the Police, and a sensible pace. There were quite a few people talking though so I suspect they didn't understand the meaning of the word "silence". Never mind.

What didn't impress me was the numbers. On the way into town I passed innumerable cyclists who were out for a morning ride. Undoubtedly many of them would not have heard anything about this ride but there again I suspect many of them would have done and simply chose not to attend. If the latter applies to you then shame on you.

One of the aims of the ride is to raise awareness of the cyclist but with probably less than a hundred or so people attending today I can't see much awareness being raised.

Events like this NEED TO BE SUPPORTED.

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat May 22, 2010 2:08 pm

Skexis wrote: Events like this NEED TO BE SUPPORTED.
Inadequate promotion.

Simply blogging or links in forums are not enough.
I told work folk about it ,and they were surprised to hear of it.
saturday is crap for many people too,what with work etc....

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Sat May 22, 2010 2:50 pm

I was surprised a little as to how few riders there were. The support from the Police was great but will they bother in future if cyclist don't turn up to support the ride. I came in on the Veloway and there were plenty of riders heading south, more promotion would be good but how?

brauluver

Postby brauluver » Sat May 22, 2010 7:49 pm

you cannot be sirrus wrote:I was surprised a little as to how few riders there were. The support from the Police was great but will they bother in future if cyclist don't turn up to support the ride. I came in on the Veloway and there were plenty of riders heading south, more promotion would be good but how?
Sponsorship from local cycling businesses to cover cost of newsprint adds and flyers.
Heaps of people turned out to earthride because of mainstream coverage.All it would take is a heap of volunteers to distribute flyers at that event to create an awareness.A little forward planning would count for heaps.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun May 23, 2010 7:23 am

BISA had their AGM following the ride.
Ideal opportunity to get involved and help out?

Pity BikeSA didn't email its thousands of Members in its latest email of last Wed, or its Rides Program
I know for a fact that BicycleSA members get injured!

arkle

Postby arkle » Sun May 23, 2010 7:31 am

Skexis wrote:There were quite a few people talking though so I suspect they didn't understand the meaning of the word "silence". Never mind.
I don't want to disrespect the memories of dead cyclists but a slow, silent ride seems so incredibly morbid and depressing. Wouldn't it be better to celebrate the lives of dead cyclists rather than make them the subject of a miserable durge? If I died cycling I would to hate to think that people would remember me by cycling slowly and not talking to each other.
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sun May 23, 2010 8:24 am

^ agree
I found the ride quiet and respectful. I enjoy it as it has rides of road bikes, fixed and single speeds, hybrids, mountain bikes, recumbents, all riding for a common purpose. A few quiet chats along the ride are good. Any talk was quiet enough that the bike with the friction derailleur not set right could be easily heard from a great distance.

One reason the numbers/coverage could have been down was the recent participation in last months Ride of Respect to Glenelg.

brettjames

Postby brettjames » Sun May 23, 2010 5:05 pm

I made the effort to drop in and check, but gave up. Pretty dissapointing really.

Arrived at 10:20, to find about 5 commuters having a chat by the fountain, so made my way to Bocellis Cafe to find a small group heading upto the square for a 10:30 start.
Waited nearby for about 20 minutes!!!!!! And still no action, just talking, lots of commuters and zero riding, so I left for a ride!!!

Looked like it was more a case of commuting coffee drinkers catching up. More time was spent consuming coffee and comparing fluro yellow jackets than actual riding.

Is there a name for self proclaimed coffee connoisseurs who mearly use their cycle as a form of transport and an excuse to don the lyrca in a public cafe ? POSERS maybe ???
Less talk, more action I say!
COLNAGO 2008 CLX - CAMPAG RECORD ROLLING ON ZIPP 404's

Skexis

Postby Skexis » Tue May 25, 2010 12:09 am

brettjames wrote:Is there a name for self proclaimed coffee connoisseurs who mearly use their cycle as a form of transport and an excuse to don the lyrca in a public cafe ? POSERS maybe ???
Maybe they're the new greener version of the cafe racers of the 60's.