Moderator Crack Down

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Moderator Crack Down

Postby AUbicycles » Fri May 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Dear fellow members.

As always, a small minority of members are making the running of this forum a pain rather than a pleasure at the moment.
Specifically the flaming / personal attacks, increasing common naming of shops when posting a complaint and comments or content that is not suitable for a family audience.

All of these are clearly outlined in the Guidelines which form the policy for running the forum.

The result - The moderator team will now crack down sooner and harder.
Up to now we have tried to explain and discuss the rules however there are too many repeat offenders who post comments / content that violate the guidelines or push the boundaries despite PMs and warnings in threads.

• Please IGNORE members who you don't want to communicate with.
• Please politely discussion moderator actions - though don't winge and challenge the actions - if you did something wrong, deal with it and move on.
• Please show respect when discussion a topic - challenge the issue - not the person.

The moderators will use their best judgement to decide upon the appropriate action which make include topic locking, topic removal, warnings and bans.
This forum doesn't have the same rules as others - so if they don't suit, fine - maybe another forum is more suitable.

It is pretty easy to contribute and discuss positively - like the majority of members already do - so lets pick up the act and the forums will be more enjoyable and informative.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

HappyHumber

Re: Moderator Crack Down

Postby HappyHumber » Sat May 22, 2010 1:13 am

Christopher,

Empathising with your plea, but picking up on one small aspect of your post; I do really think the IGNORE feature is very under utilised here. If another member begins to irk you - the temptation to react in a manner which will perpetuate the issue (or simply feeding the troll) is way too strong I feel.

I'm thinking if it was easier to more impulsively ignore someone (and then just as easily then later un-ignore) the risk of incendiary, reactionary comments is lessened.

How I initially discovered the bliss of forum ignorance was by meddling around in my own UCP. I feel it's a little buried and less than intuitive. In composing this post, I see too you can add someone as a Foe by looking at their profile - but it doesn't mention the magic word "ignore". Just a confirmation "Do you wish to carry out this operation" The personal UCP method at leasts mentions what adding a Foe means on the dialog where its buried.

So perhaps as a suggestion - could the "Add Foe" & "Add Friend" options be better or at least succinctly explained when viewing anothers' profile?
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat May 22, 2010 6:39 am

Thanks for the tip - guess who just volunteered to so a small step by step guide... HappyHumber… :)

We have a few tips / suggestions eg. adding a bikejournal graphic to the signature - I would add this info in the same way.
Cycling is in my BNA

lazeyjack

Postby lazeyjack » Mon May 24, 2010 2:39 pm

I,m new, I volenteer to moderate:))
some forums, do this,
If say you or I start a thread, then if YOU have someone on ignore, then they can not contribute to a thread YOU have started, does this make sense?
cheers
Stu

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon May 24, 2010 2:42 pm

Typical - more over-moderation.

:P :P :P

Only kidding. :)
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

flammer

Postby flammer » Mon May 24, 2010 7:34 pm

Crack down ! Not a pleasant image of a looming crack! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Tao is like a bellows: 
it is empty yet infinitely capable.
SynapseLiquigas Mt Fuji Pro
CAAD 7 Reborn as Cyclocross Gazelle AA Special

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue May 25, 2010 5:58 am

But at least flammer I know you are support the mods - making it easier for us!

Lazyjack - the ignore function doesn't work that way. Thank you for volunteering - you will understand that it makes more sense to take more experienced members on board.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA