Rider down, Northbourne.

twizzle

Rider down, Northbourne.

Postby twizzle » Fri May 21, 2010 6:51 pm

Radio was reporting that a car had hit a cyclist on Northbourne at about 17:20. Lot of cycle Ninja's around Belconnen at that time...

"Be Seen, Be Safe", people. :|
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

HAKS

Re: Rider down, Northbourne.

Postby HAKS » Fri May 21, 2010 7:31 pm

There were 2 fools riding around LBG after sun down with no lights. Towards the end of my lap I stopped to don arm warmers and i could here ppl talking. Suddenly they came around the corner. One was dressed in black as well :roll:
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri May 21, 2010 8:24 pm

A guy from my club got hit by a car on Northbourne on Thursday morning, resulting in broken ribs and broken bike. :(

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri May 21, 2010 9:48 pm

Wow! I was on Northbourne at about that time. I joined at MacArthur. I saw an ambulance at Mouat St. Was that it?

I am a big fan of lights. Always feel nervous regardless of lights at peak hour on dusk.

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Sat May 22, 2010 9:40 pm

I'm on Northbourne each morning (heading north) and have noticed that ever since the bike lane lines disappeared (as they've ripped up the road), the traffic is perilously close.

I had a Transborder bus go past within a centimetre of my shoulder on Tuesday. At the next lights I knocked on the door and asked him if he was trying to kill me or was he not paying attention. He replied, "sorry mate, it's a bit hard without the lines"

It's bloody dangerous at the moment.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat May 22, 2010 9:53 pm

bpmhigh wrote:I'm on Northbourne each morning (heading north) and have noticed that ever since the bike lane lines disappeared (as they've ripped up the road), the traffic is perilously close.

I had a Transborder bus go past within a centimetre of my shoulder on Tuesday. At the next lights I knocked on the door and asked him if he was trying to kill me or was he not paying attention. He replied, "sorry mate, it's a bit hard without the lines"

It's bloody dangerous at the moment.
So what he was really saying was "I can't drive a bus safely without external help".

I've been taking the lane along there where the work is being done. Helps that it's been a 40kph zone - it's fun seeing if I can hold 40kph for the whole section.

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Sun May 23, 2010 1:23 pm

I've been staying away from the road works. I turn off Northbourne at Wakefield (heading south) and go down Limestone. The road along Northbourne looks too crazy for me.

gassyndrome

Postby gassyndrome » Thu May 27, 2010 11:47 pm

Bantam Roosta wrote:I've been staying away from the road works. I turn off Northbourne at Wakefield (heading south) and go down Limestone. The road along Northbourne looks too crazy for me.
Riding the path or road at Limestone? Limestone always appears more dangerous to me.

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri May 28, 2010 6:13 am

I agree. Limestone in peak hour seems dodgier. No cycle lane, heaps of intersections with no traffic lights and built up traffic. Some risks you dont have to care about with Nbourne even with roadworks. Although, Nbourne has all the driveways.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri May 28, 2010 9:57 am

I don't mind Limestone, it's pretty wide until you get near the War Memorial. IMO, the on-road lanes through Civic are more dangerous, due to the numerous side roads and inattentive traffic.

Bantam Roosta

Postby Bantam Roosta » Fri May 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Road. In the morning I'm heading south at about 6:40am so traffic is pretty good. On the way home it's about 4:30pm so starting to get busier, but it's still pretty good.