Australian Cycling Infrastructure Issues - web site

rolandp

Australian Cycling Infrastructure Issues - web site

Postby rolandp » Sun May 09, 2010 2:00 pm

Back in March 2010, I asked WA members to identify issues with our cycling infrastructure which was provided to our Minister of Transport. Over 150 items were captured in less than 1 month.

The concept of recording infrastructure issues has been around for a while including Fill That Hole (UK) which has data since January 2007.

With the assistance of rodneythellama who developed the first proto-type, the Australian Cycling Infrastructure Issues is available to record issues, and to see how each state and responsible authority are resolving those issues.

At this time, the site does not forward on automatic e-mails to the responsible authority as I would like feedback on the site and if you believe it is worth continuing.

It has been developed with zero funds, including being hosted on a ‘free-host’, so response time can be slow.

If you like the site and would like to help, moderators are required to review the data to ensure it is clean and accurate. Please let me know if you would to moderate the data in your state, if you could provide details on authorities in your state or if you could help with its web development.

Have a look at Australian Cycling Infrastructure Issues and let me know what you think.

Aushiker

Re: Australian Cycling Infrastructure Issues - web site

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 27, 2010 8:54 am

Hi Roland

I added an issue today, but for some reason the map does not show the location. Is there a way to get the map right?

Finally, is it possible to have the issues number showing in the Bike Issues Table (when you are looking at the specific issue, e.g., this one) so they are easy to refer to?

Regards
Andrew

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri May 28, 2010 12:07 am

Andrew, this back-end application doesn't like to show id's very well on forms. I've managed to show it on the title bar, but will try to see if I can resolve on the week-end.

As you've now created an account, I've linked this item back to your account so you can edit the item as required. Please move the marker as I've taken a stab where it should go.

I didn't explan how to use the maps at all. Enter the street information where you did, and press the "GEOCODE" button, this should move the marked to roughly where the area is. You can then manually move the marker to the exact spot. Unfortuantly as street addresses are duplicated around the world, sometimes it gets it incorrect, and you need to try another street name near to the spot.

Thanks for using the site, and if I get enough interest I will move it to a 'paid' server where response time will be better.

I'm also trying to work out how to link the statistical information back to an authority to also help the authority see what issues have been raised in their area.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 28, 2010 9:08 am

rolandp wrote:Andrew, this back-end application doesn't like to show id's very well on forms. I've managed to show it on the title bar, but will try to see if I can resolve on the week-end.
No worries, thanks for trying.
As you've now created an account, I've linked this item back to your account so you can edit the item as required. Please move the marker as I've taken a stab where it should go.
I had a go, but still can only view it. Maybe will leave this one as it and just get you to mark it cleared when it that is done.
I didn't explan how to use the maps at all. Enter the street information where you did, and press the "GEOCODE" button, this should move the marked to roughly where the area is. You can then manually move the marker to the exact spot. Unfortuantly as street addresses are duplicated around the world, sometimes it gets it incorrect, and you need to try another street name near to the spot.
Thanks. Sounds straight forward.

Regards
Andrew

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 29, 2010 1:34 pm

I've just had a quick look and think it's an excellent concept and website.

Personally, I'm starting to tire of the whinging that goes on about motorists and cycling facilities on BNA, when almost no-one apart from Boogs, Nate and Aushiker seems prepared to start letter writing and lobbying to get things fixed. Seems like we're stuck in victim mentality and like nothing more than a good pity party.

Well, this infrastructure issues site offers an excellent opportunity to break out of the Learned Helplessness we've got ourselves into, and start doing something to take responsibility for our safety.

The thread should be made sticky in my view. I know we have plenty already - perhaps we should have a Cycling Advocacy sub-section under General with this at the top.

Mods? What do you reckon? I
Last edited by trailgumby on Sat May 29, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 29, 2010 2:12 pm

Just tried to log an issue and got the following. Are you productionising an upgrade now?
Fatal error: Access level to FabrikModelFabrikDatabasejoin::_getLabelForValue() must be public (as in class FabrikModelElement) in /home/vol12/xtreemhost.com/xth_5529308/htdocs/components/com_fabrik/plugins/element/fabrikdatabasejoin/fabrikdatabasejoin.php on line 1408

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat May 29, 2010 4:33 pm

trailgumby, was doing an upgrade at the time you registered. I'm trying to link one view of authority statistics with issues to make it easier for the authority to see issues raised for them.

Will test the registration process again later.

Appreciate your earlier comments.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 29, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi rolandp, perhaps you should consider making BNSW, Bicycle Vic, and other advocacy groups aware of this initiative.

Some comments:
1: The section of road I have logged issues against is a major route, and as such does not fall under the purview of local councils. I know WSC is well aware of its shortcomings, but it is outside the scope of their authority. The RTA of NSW is the responsible authority in thsi case. However, that distinction may be confusing to users so I'll leave it to your judgement wheher you think adding the State authority to the list is a net benefit.

2: Is it possible to configure the system to allow for adding photos after logging the issue?

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sun May 30, 2010 8:48 pm

1: The section of road I have logged issues against is a major route, and as such does not fall under the purview of local councils. I know WSC is well aware of its shortcomings, but it is outside the scope of their authority. The RTA of NSW is the responsible authority in thsi case. However, that distinction may be confusing to users so I'll leave it to your judgement wheher you think adding the State authority to the list is a net benefit.
I've done this for West Australia. We have state (eg MainRoads, PTA) and local government authorities who are responible for cycling infrastructure. I've loaded up local authorities (or hopefully I have) for NSW, can you provide the state authorities, and I'll load these up as well.
2: Is it possible to configure the system to allow for adding photos after logging the issue?
Yes, just go back to the item, there is an image field where you can store an HTML link to the image (similar to when you use the IMG tags on this forum). You need to be logged in, and the item raised by you, to be able to edit the item later.

Modifications done this week-end to the site:
1) When you are logged in, there is now a menu item to the left to see the items you have raised
2) Got a search form working so that you can type in the issue no, and press submit
3) Got the local authority area working, so that you can see their statistics, and quickly see what items have been raised for them.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Sun May 30, 2010 9:06 pm

"Personally, I'm starting to tire of the whinging that goes on about motorists and cycling facilities on BNA, when almost no-one apart from Boogs, Nate and Aushiker seems prepared to start letter writing and lobbying to get things fixed. Seems like we're stuck in victim mentality and like nothing more than a good pity party."
Trailgumby

I know several members on ACF that actively promote or lobby cycling and its issues, so the quote sold several of us short right off the bat.
This site is an absolutely fantastic idea and an initiative I will give you 110% support with.
Top work mate!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 30, 2010 9:57 pm

Good to hear TW. Apologies to those concerned.

It's just that I'd have thought this site BNA could perform a valuable function in helping coordinate such efforts, but it's not being used. Perhaps Christopher has a policy regarding that, but I took the lack of response when I suggested it a couple of times (OK, one response) as a signal of supreme lack of interest in letter writing from other forumites.

It is volumes of original grassroots letters (not cut-and-paste jobs) that really grasps the pollies' attention. One or two from a supposedly representative organisation is very often discounted as just being merely the personal hobby horse of the organsiation's executive.

It worked brilliantly on rotorburn and nobmob to get Manly Dam trail access quickly restored - huge numbers of letters to the pollies concerned (411 each). This has really brought home to me the impact large volumes of letters on a common theme. I don;t understand why we don't leverage that more.

Hence my whinge.
Last edited by trailgumby on Sun May 30, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Sun May 30, 2010 10:01 pm

:) ...man hug

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Sun May 30, 2010 10:04 pm

I did register over an hour ago but I'm not sure if its actually been successful yet. Theres been no activation email received and I can't log in. Are there any teething problems you're aware of with this?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun May 30, 2010 10:07 pm

The Womble wrote:I did register over an hour ago but I'm not sure if its actually been successful yet. Theres been no activation email received and I can't log in. Are there any teething problems you're aware of with this?
Mine took awhile to come through.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Mon May 31, 2010 12:27 am

The Womble, I can see your registration details on the site.

I've also quickly loaded up Queensland and Tasmania local authoroties. Still need to complete Northern Territory which should be able to complete this week.

fixed

Postby fixed » Mon May 31, 2010 3:13 pm

This is awesome Roland.
Top work.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:23 am

I've now loaded up NT's local government authorities. There is now 572 authorities across Australia which I've pulled off various website, so if you notice that you are missing a local government authority, or would like a state government authority to be added, let me know. In particulat ACT, which I assume you only have one.

With this number of parties responible for the cycling infrastructure, couldn't this be the reason that standards or type of facilities are so different between states and even at the state level?

Please use this site to record cycling infrastructure issues.

PS Andrew I deleted that issue that you requested me to delete. Sorry for the delay.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:07 pm

rolandp wrote:PS Andrew I deleted that issue that you requested me to delete. Sorry for the delay.
Thanks Roland.

Andrew

gingermikey

Postby gingermikey » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:02 pm

Long time lurker... first time whatever...

Great resource, Roland, well done!

I've just logged an issue on the St George's Rd path some how I did it twice. Is there are way to delete first one without the detail or pinpoint?

Cheers

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:27 am

gingermikey, deleted that dup. If you guys can get photos of these issues, can you add them back as well.

I'll be forwarding a generic e-mail to the local authority once a week, but if the issue is urgent, make sure you contact them directly.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:37 am

I have now caught up with the back-log of issues raised and all authorities with issues raised are now aware of this website. Depending on number of items raised, this will be a ongoing weekly task, though I will spend sometime to automate this to make this task easier for the future.

I've had one positive feedback from council (Darebin City Council) who offered to forward to BUGS in his area. Please consider doing the same as the more data that is captured, the more statistics that can be used to show where issues are, the type of issues and who is resolving these issues.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:56 am

We discovered a small clitch earlier today with registrations. Hopefully all that have previously registered and hadn't recieved the e-mail, have now recieved one.

In WA, there are 255 items now recorded, of which 11% are now resolved.

Please keep recording the issues, as we have had positive feedback from some local authorities. There are others who just don't respond to e-mails, even when you have sent them a couple (they will more than likely be the ones with 0% resolved).