shiv

Re: Giro

Postby shiv » Sat May 29, 2010 12:38 am

He shoulda kept the compact on!

Bye bye Giro, his best hope now is a positive test for Basso again I fear

mcarrigg

Postby mcarrigg » Sat May 29, 2010 12:53 am

By my quick recollection off the top of my head, of the six or so riders over the top of the Mortirolo ahead of Evans, atleast three have served suspensions for doping....tragic

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat May 29, 2010 8:43 am

Pretty decisive, even the podium looks out of reach now :( unless he can pull a Landis :shock: but he looks absolutely buggered and there'll be no "top up" to revitalise him :P . A second stage win in Verona would be some consolation, but again he looks very tired.

Loved Arroyo's defense of the jersey, he looked gone early but dug deep and the podium is looking a realistic chance.
Last edited by Chuck on Sat May 29, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FPR Ragamuffin

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat May 29, 2010 9:32 am

Suddenly the Giro is not that interesting anymore :( :( :( :(

He has hinted at some problems mid race but won't elaborate until Verona :?:

[sigh]

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sat May 29, 2010 10:01 am

Cadel tried his best, all you can ask really. Basso has proved the stronger rider.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat May 29, 2010 1:12 pm

HAKS wrote:Cadel tried his best, all you can ask really. Basso has proved the stronger rider.
Hear hear !!!

Basso is also backed by a considerably stronger team as well.

Vino's decision (not to try and help with the chase to Basso et al) shows how self centered he is.

And also, Cadel is up against the will of the tifosi. Can't have a foreigner win the Giro !! Not again anyway !!!!

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat May 29, 2010 5:21 pm

HAKS wrote:Cadel tried his best, all you can ask really. Basso has proved the stronger rider.
Agree HAKS.

I know Basso has been linked to PED's/OP(served a suspension) but he seems a pretty humble and not unlikable guy.

Let's not forget Porte in all this, still 7th at only 6", an outstanding effort.

Let's hope that Cadel can get onto the podium, Richie can hold on to a top ten spot and the white jersey and that one of them can take out the ITT in Verona.
FPR Ragamuffin

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat May 29, 2010 5:26 pm

MichaelB wrote:Vino's decision (not to try and help with the chase to Basso et al) shows how self centered he is.
Vinokourov is gunning for a stage win, most likely the ITT. Let's hope that somebody, anybody, beats him.
FPR Ragamuffin

shiv

Postby shiv » Sat May 29, 2010 10:54 pm

Its far from unwatchable. Still get to cheer Cadel towards a podium and Richie to the white. Also Cadel is a chance for the ITT maybe if within striking distance of 3rd, and also have red, green and white jerseys on our boys backs

nutsack

Postby nutsack » Sun May 30, 2010 12:02 am

Difference between Basso and Evans is team support. Last few stages have a look the number of green jerseys surrounding Basso vs red jerseys with Evans. 4 vs 0. Can't win a 3 week giro individually. Evans must be absolutely knackered.

I really wish he at least gets a podium finish plus red jersey.
Main ride: BMC SLX01 Race Master 2010 SRAM Red

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 30, 2010 12:08 am

IFFFFFFFF Cadel can get to the top of the Gavia with Basso he should attack the shite out of him on the descent as Basso doesn't like wet descents and it is WET.
I think it is still very watchable...I actually like Basso...either way I am sure it has been a lot more exciting than the tour will be.Call me a cynic.Hope I am wrong.
Edit...2nd thoughts it looks pretty dry up there...awesum to be there!.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun May 30, 2010 1:45 am

Vinokourov working today :roll: man I hope they don't catch Tschopp
Last edited by Chuck on Sun May 30, 2010 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
FPR Ragamuffin

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun May 30, 2010 1:46 am

Simoni completely dusted
FPR Ragamuffin

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sun May 30, 2010 1:49 am

Cadel having a crack, a little late, but maybe he can claw some time back.

<update>He should have gone earlier, only 16 seconds in the end, he really buried himself in the last few km's.
FPR Ragamuffin

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun May 30, 2010 6:39 am

Wow...Points,Mountain and Young riders jersey,2 stages...maybe 3 after tommorow...pretty impressive haul.
Good on Cadel for attacking today...I don't think he could of gone earlier as they were bringing him back...bloody tough Giro!.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun May 30, 2010 8:48 am

toolonglegs wrote:Wow...Points,Mountain and Young riders jersey,2 stages...maybe 3 after tommorow...pretty impressive haul.
Good on Cadel for attacking today...I don't think he could of gone earlier as they were bringing him back...bloody tough Giro!.
Amen to that.

It seems even though he has trotted out the "things beyond my control" line again, he gave his all.

Aussies have done well in the month of May for sure. Stage and overall wins at ToC, and stage and Jersey's (Pink for some time too) at what has to be a unique Giro.

All of the Auusie contingent has done a outstanding job !!!

Lets hope either Cadel or Richie can grab another Aussie stage win, and hopefully a podium place

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun May 30, 2010 9:05 am

Ditto... thats what I put on the front page of BNA. Fantastic effort for Porte against the big guns and Cadel has shown real determination and strength - he gets marked very well so it is tough to break away however you will notice that he is getting better at picking the moment with surprise and tactical escapes.

So MichaelB, you are saying that Cadel or Richie need a stage win tomorro... ok, I am all for it - though am going to guess it will be a mass sprint finish.
Cycling is in my BNA

shiv

Postby shiv » Sun May 30, 2010 9:28 am

AUbicycles wrote:
So MichaelB, you are saying that Cadel or Richie need a stage win tomorro... ok, I am all for it - though am going to guess it will be a mass sprint finish.

How do you get a sprint finish in an ITT?

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun May 30, 2010 10:38 am

shiv wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:

:lol:. 50 sec or whatever Evans needs to get on the podium is going to be tough over 15km ITT but here's hoping.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun May 30, 2010 6:17 pm

shiv wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:

Beat me to it shiv :D :D :D :D

jasimon

Postby jasimon » Sun May 30, 2010 7:11 pm

MichaelB wrote:
shiv wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:

Beat me to it shiv :D :D :D :D
If the starting gaps are really a handicapping start? Instead of one minute gaps, you do it on elapsed time to ensure that the first one over the line is the GC winner (and hope for a tight grouping)? :D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P

shiv

Postby shiv » Sun May 30, 2010 11:10 pm

Cam Meyer for early fast time is a decent bet

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon May 31, 2010 7:29 am

Well so much for my statement about a lack of strong teams, Liquigas (and Basso) were great. Basso with that form and that team could challenge AC imho.

Well done to all the Aussies, 3 Jerseys :D and Richie's effort in his first GT was just unbelievable :D :D. Today Cadel did speak about being sick midway through the Giro, but I think overall his comments continue to be alot more positive.

Fantastic race, really enjoyed it :D
FPR Ragamuffin

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon May 31, 2010 7:40 am

:oops: I wasn't paying attention - and turned on the TV ready to watch the last 100km and wondered why it wasn't on.
Cycling is in my BNA

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 31, 2010 9:09 am

Overall an outstanding race. Aussies in pink for part of the way, three jersey's in the end (and first Aussie ever to win a KoM at any of the 3 week GT's :shock: ), stage wins by Aussies to boot.

Liquigas showed by far that they sent the strongest team.

BMC still did well, (and gotta remember that this is still a Pro Conti team that sent some big guns to the ToC as well). Imagine if George and Allesandro could have been there, so they fielded a full #1 team ???

Loved Cadel's win as well as his attack on the penultimate stage, pity he didn't get there, but still great to see him have a go.

Funny, that in the end, apart from Arroyo, the huge split on Stage 12 (?) didn't really change who ended up on the podium.

It was great to keep tuning into a race with unexpected leaders, unexpected stage winners, all sorts of weather conditions, Aussies in either Pink of Leaders Jerseys, and bugger all "build a big lead and then defend until the end style" of racing.

Zomegan has to proud as punch with how it turned out.

Roll on July !!!!!