Moron Motorists #2

hannos

Moron Motorists #2

Postby hannos » Wed May 26, 2010 8:09 pm

<Mods, I hope this is allowed>

Intersection of Canterbury Road and Kingsgrove Road Belmore. It's 5:20pm ish so relatively dark and it's raining and windy.

Lights on Canterbury road turn red, P-plater 20m from the intersection heading eastbound on c'bury Road decides to floor it. You could hear him because of the stupid exhaust system he had. Lights on Kingsgrove Road go green before idiot gets to the intersection and yet he still goes through it.
2010 BMC SLC01

Christine Tham

Re: Moron Motorists #2

Postby Christine Tham » Wed May 26, 2010 8:24 pm

That's cool, hannos.

I was going to create one myself, but you beat me to it!

Mine was a 4WD on Balgowlah St that tried to overtake the bunch, and ended up nearly hitting the central divider with another vehicle on the other side. Luckily, the cyclists made space and allowed it to squeeze back into the lane, otherwise ...
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed May 26, 2010 8:35 pm

Christine Tham wrote:I was going to create one myself, but you beat me to it!
:lol: :P

Nothing to report lately :shock:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Green P-plater on Monday starts merging into my lane from the middle while rolling next to me, not sure if she's going to charge across or not.

Give her a loooong blast on the Air Zound and finally she stops abruptly, then after I go past she tries to get across to the left turn slip lane. Finally that lane starts moving, she catches up, and I point and bellow "YOU! You're DANGEROUS! Where'd you get your licence from?! :evil: "

:lol: :lol:

stevepedlin

Postby stevepedlin » Wed May 26, 2010 9:06 pm

Slow passing and nervous L and P platers who think they are doing you a favor in warning you of their approach, by beeping you as they pass!

Geeez that scares the crap out of me sometimes!!! :!: Happened twice this week, on a road where they had a 2 meters to spare easily.

njg02

Postby njg02 » Wed May 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Drove to work today. Following the traffic turning right into work and I got the red. Traffic coming out of work turning right across me goes next, then we get the green again to turn right into work. The traffic going straight through opposite wait twice. Lots of trucks going in you see. But, before I go on my green, right, remember, two falcodores are revving to go straight through and they do, on the red! They were timing the lights for a race and jumped the red by a full cycle. Another guy was following but stopped when I got in his way. A close encounter with dumb and dumber.

rogan

Postby rogan » Wed May 26, 2010 9:27 pm

Driving, I was, which was lucky. Driving in fact to the Tuesday night FPR.

On the M2 between Windsor Rd and Abbott Rd, someone thought it was three lanes. Seriously, driving at speed ~90 km/h along the shoulder, up the inside of a truck that was behind me, the whole way. Yes, through the couple of bus lane areas. FIH Syndrome...

drubie

Postby drubie » Wed May 26, 2010 10:51 pm

This mornings moron takes the cake for me.

I was following two slower commuters up the last hill this morning - in the rain, road was a little busy and slippery, so I sat on behind them with a cheery "hey" to let them know I was there.

We all observed a red Hilux with student aboard approach from the left, where the lane must give way to traffic on the main road. Hilux boy stops,looks, fidgets, then pulls out at the very last second so we all have to hit the anchors. I yelled at the jackass, the other two mumbled something but there's no way to get away from a determined cyclist from that point in the road.

So stupidly (again), I popped out of the saddle and chased the bastard (gotta love those token carbon cranks on the ol' commuter, man they are STIFF), caught him before he got out of the hilux and, um, explained that his behaviour was less than considerate. Can't believe he did it in the first place, but in the rain and with surrounding traffic it was unbelievable, worse when he flat out admitted he saw us and pulled out anyway. Stupid, impatient moron.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Wed May 26, 2010 10:55 pm

I was sitting at a red light the other day (in peak hour, on a major road), when a 4wd that was stopped next to me suddenly decided to drive through it. There was a break in the cross traffic so maybe they thought it'd changed, but what the hell :?

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu May 27, 2010 10:41 am

Moron in maroon falcadore this morning gave me the old deliberate close pass, he's lucky (or maybe I'm the lucky one) that I can hold my line because his mirror must have missed me by less than 30cm while he was travelling at around 80kmh. This was at 6:45am on a road with two lanes each way and no other traffic at all to be seen :roll:
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 27, 2010 11:35 am

Incident free run this morning.

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu May 27, 2010 12:41 pm

Christine Tham wrote:Mine was a 4WD on Balgowlah St that tried to overtake the bunch, and ended up nearly hitting the central divider with another vehicle on the other side. Luckily, the cyclists made space and allowed it to squeeze back into the lane, otherwise ...
Do you mean Balgowlah Rd, near the Boy Charlton pool?

I hate that bit. It is on my commute. I had a 4wd - with a bike rack on the back! - do something similar on Monday. Caught up to him on corner of Sydney Road and Burnt Bridge Creek Deviation/Spit Road a few km and a Wanganella later.

It's a 40km zone in any case. Impatient *%$#ers

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Thu May 27, 2010 1:51 pm

simonn wrote:Do you mean Balgowlah Rd, near the Boy Charlton pool?

I hate that bit. It is on my commute. I had a 4wd - with a bike rack on the back! - do something similar on Monday. Caught up to him on corner of Sydney Road and Burnt Bridge Creek Deviation/Spit Road a few km and a Wanganella later.

It's a 40km zone in any case. Impatient *%$#ers
Yeah, actually its at the part after it does an S and becomes Kitchener St.

If only it had waited, the bunch turned left into Wanganella seconds later. Instead, the driver chose to risk his/her life, endangering the car coming from the other direction, and possibly would have ploughed into the cyclists if they did not do the right thing and made space.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Thu May 27, 2010 1:52 pm

trailgumby wrote:Incident free run this morning.
OMGosh! Quick, send in the camera crew! Trailgumby goes out on a ride, and NOTHING HAPPENED! News at 11!

PS - glad you are getting your confidence back on the road. Sometimes, after a few incidents, rides like these are to be celebrated.

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu May 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Christine Tham wrote: Yeah, actually its at the part after it does an S and becomes Kitchener St.
That bit too!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu May 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Incident free run this morning.
OMGosh! Quick, send in the camera crew! Trailgumby goes out on a ride, and NOTHING HAPPENED! News at 11!

PS - glad you are getting your confidence back on the road. Sometimes, after a few incidents, rides like these are to be celebrated.
:lol: :lol:

I find I still flinch every time I hear a car or truck approach me from behind at speed. It takes all my self-control to hold my line and not move left... sometimes I don't succeed. :oops:

Maybe I just need to ride faster so the wind noise blocks everything out. :D

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Fri May 28, 2010 7:36 am

Christine Tham wrote:Mine was a 4WD on Balgowlah St that tried to overtake the bunch, and ended up nearly hitting the central divider with another vehicle on the other side. Luckily, the cyclists made space and allowed it to squeeze back into the lane, otherwise ...
Can't believe it, happened again today, exactly the same spot. This time, white hatchback, and when it realised it was approaching the divider at speed, went to the wrong side of the divided road!

I hate to think what would happen if there was a car coming from the other side. :shock:

JV911

Postby JV911 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:51 am

Had my closest call this morning when a middle age, balding, overweight guy in a blue late 90's subaru liberty coming the other way proceeded to turn right directly in front of me :shock:

Lucky I had anticipated his move and was on the brakes with a big "Oi!!!" (good test of my new yellow swiss stop pads)

A number of people out walking asked if i was ok - which i was, so i thanked them and was on my way.
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

jaredm

Postby jaredm » Fri May 28, 2010 8:27 pm

I was being tailgated this morning by a commodore driving genius this morning. We approached a roundabout and I guess he didn't like the one second I took from him so he thought going onto the wrong side of the road and through the roundabout the wrong way to get around me was the clever thing to do. He gave me a "I'm so good" look and I just laughed. Was pretty funny when he ended at a red light further up the road.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri May 28, 2010 10:04 pm

And you resisted the temptation to knock on his window and ask "So, was it worth it? :lol: " - you're a stronger man than I. :wink:

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Sat May 29, 2010 2:49 am

jaredm wrote:I was being tailgated this morning by a commodore driving genius this morning....
Was pretty funny when he ended at a red light further up the road.
I like to pull up in front of them when they get stuck at the red lights. Then turn around and smile and wave to them :)

I have one which is the opposite to this thread. I had a good driver today. I was approaching a roundabout on a hill and was struggling up it as you do when you get old, (and it was a hill). A bus was approaching the roundabout on the street to my left and I thought he would go ahead. He certainly had time to do it but he didn't. He actually waited for me to go through. I gave him a little thankyou wave and continued up the hill.
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

Christine Tham

Postby Christine Tham » Sat May 29, 2010 1:45 pm

Colin_T wrote:I have one which is the opposite to this thread. I had a good driver today.
Hey, that's not allowed in this thread! :P

We'll need to ban you for at least a week for that faux pas.

PS - I like drivers like that. Gold sticker!

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Sat May 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
Colin_T wrote:I have one which is the opposite to this thread. I had a good driver today.
Hey, that's not allowed in this thread! :P
We'll need to ban you for at least a week for that faux pas.
oh no, I won't be able to tell anyone about my exciting adventures that could happen during the week. Whatever will I do!

I know, I'll go to the competition :D
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

Spork!

Postby Spork! » Sun May 30, 2010 4:38 pm

Several super-considerate drivers today, I had to almost stop at the verge and wave a couple past! Lots of polite ones who gave me plenty of space when passing. One complete prick in a white Toyota 4x4 (why are 4x4's so overrepresented in this category from my perspective?) who passed me at speed with only about 20-30cm between me and his westcoaster mirror, despite being the only 2 vehicles on a long, straight (over 1 000m dead straight) section of road.
For the next couple hundred meters he couldn't have missed my 1 finger salute in his mirrors, but he kept going. Guess he's only macho when inside a few tonnes of tin, plastic and rubber.
Seriously considering one of those mini-cams on my handlebars so I can assist the police with some much needed driver education...

Colin_T

Postby Colin_T » Sun May 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Spork! wrote: Several super-considerate drivers today, ...
hey hey hey, careful. You don't wanna start that sort of trouble here :D

But i's ok because you finished off with a true moron motorist :)