What was THAT?

open topic, for anything cycling related.

What was THAT?

Postby ft_critical » Mon May 31, 2010 9:12 am

Last week I was cycling across the Harbour Bridge, uphill side, doing about 27kmh. This is a solid pace. A set of bright lights came up from behind very quickly. I pulled further to the left waiting for the ‘Ivan Basso’ to blast through.
To my surprise, a forty plus, accountantesque, lady on a comfort bike flew past me at about 32. Which is fast uphill. She was in a business suit, comfortable looking shoes (casting no aspersions but they were those kind of Hush Puppy shoes) with no toe-clips and the spray not captured by her full mud-guards was misting across her horn-rimmed bifocals. I was amazed. :shock: :shock:
So I sped up, a lot, as she was now doing 35kmh on the downhill side, to have a closer look. There was nothing much unusual about her gearing and certainly no motor-mower engine. Perhaps she was superwoman?
User avatar
ft_critical
 
Posts: 1540
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: watching the 11

by BNA » Mon May 31, 2010 9:25 am

BNA
 

Re: What was THAT?

Postby Chaderotti » Mon May 31, 2010 9:25 am

I've had that experience before :roll:
Princess
Mistress = Pinarello Opera, Ultegra SL
Mistress #2 = Drag Bluebird
Chaderotti
 
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:09 pm
Location: Morley, WA

Re: What was THAT?

Postby sogood » Mon May 31, 2010 9:25 am

Just need to know your place within the pecking order! Or try a better PED. :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 17012
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: What was THAT?

Postby stevepedlin » Mon May 31, 2010 9:29 am

I dont know... but i do know that this sort of thing is really very disturbing! - It can lead to a mild state of depression, a dent to ones self-esteem and in extreme cases even alcohol abuse, and a lack of enthusiasm for riding. :?

Shame you couldn't positively absolutely ? confirm that she wasn't E assisted ? :cry: . Maybe you can pretend she was? :lol: I'd be tempted.. :D
stevepedlin
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:48 pm

Re: What was THAT?

Postby hannos » Mon May 31, 2010 9:32 am

I want to know why you didn't tuck in an suck her wheel!
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4025
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: What was THAT?

Postby ft_critical » Mon May 31, 2010 9:38 am

stevepedlin wrote:Shame you couldn't positively absolutely ? confirm that she wasn't E assisted ? :cry: . Maybe you can pretend she was? :lol: I'd be tempted.. :D


Well done Steve. Indeed there was a large silver thing strapped to her down tube. She was the energizer girl.

I tell you, I had no idea they were that fast. You need some serious skill to go that fast, esp in the wet.
User avatar
ft_critical
 
Posts: 1540
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: watching the 11

Re: What was THAT?

Postby Christine Tham » Mon May 31, 2010 10:13 am

ft_critical wrote:To my surprise, a forty plus, accountantesque, lady on a comfort bike flew past me at about 32.


I met someone who fits that description on a Bike North ride once. She was on a Trek hybrid, no power assist.

OMGosh, she is one fast climber, despite her weight. I deliberately started the climb on Parriwi Rd in last position, just to see how many riders I could overtake, and I ended up overtaking everyone except her.

When I got up on top, she was waiting for everyone else to catch up. I said to her "You are an amazing climber!" She said "It's the bike." Turned out she was on a Kmart beforehand.

I then observed her cycling, and she is a fast spinner - and have very powerful thighs.
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: What was THAT?

Postby Nate » Mon May 31, 2010 1:20 pm

its not that fast uphill *stretch*
User avatar
Nate
 
Posts: 2727
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:49 pm

Re: What was THAT?

Postby Old and Rusty » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:26 am

Last Tuesday night I was heading out to join the FPR lads and I stopped briefly to check a phone message. Just as I got set to go again a tall, thin fair haired lady about my age (40's) rode by and I caught her on the downhill, when she noticed me she managed to drop me up the next hill with what looked like no effort. She was one very fit looking lady.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ
User avatar
Old and Rusty
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Sydney

Re: What was THAT?

Postby rustguard » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:39 am

ft_critical wrote:Well done Steve. Indeed there was a large silver thing strapped to her down tube. She was the energizer girl.

OK well if that wasnt the case I was going to guess Aunty Jack
rustguard
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:31 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: What was THAT?

Postby ft_critical » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:42 pm

The sub-text of this post for me was that armed with an electric bike:

Sydney (Brisbane etc) hills are no problems,
Longer distances should be easier.

Thus, E-Bikes could really open up cycling to a much wider set of people and therefore increase cycling as a valid alternative to cars and public transport. (Ignoring all the issues of infrastructure, danger etc.)

This was the biggest revelation to me. I had not really considered E-bikes that seriously. I had thought they were primarily for lazy people to pop down to the shops.
User avatar
ft_critical
 
Posts: 1540
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: watching the 11

Re: What was THAT?

Postby Old and Rusty » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:52 pm

Just this afternoon I was travelling east on Newbridge Rd Chipping Norton and a guy on a "petrol power assisted" (using the word assisted loosely) was doing a genuine 65kph in 70kph zone. I had no idea they went that fast, no wonder they're illegal.
"scaffolders, where learning to walk upright is in the training manual"
2011 Jamis Ventura Elite
2011 Pinarello FPQ
User avatar
Old and Rusty
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:40 am
Location: Sydney

Re: What was THAT?

Postby Christine Tham » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:21 pm

Old and Rusty wrote:Just this afternoon I was travelling east on Newbridge Rd Chipping Norton and a guy on a "petrol power assisted" (using the word assisted loosely) was doing a genuine 65kph in 70kph zone. I had no idea they went that fast, no wonder they're illegal.


Nahh, that was just ft_critical's standard cruising speed with no power assist (haven't you been reading the Road Biking forum? :P )

More than likely the "fumes" you smelt were simply the remains of last night's curry. :P
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: What was THAT?

Postby DarrylH » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:50 pm

A girl I know races tris and crits and adventure races but chooses to E-bike to work to avoid getting sweaty. In about 3 yrs from savings in fuel and parking she has paid for the e-bike and is about $1000 ahead
DarrylH
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:33 pm

Re: What was THAT?

Postby ft_critical » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:23 pm

Christine Tham wrote:
Old and Rusty wrote:Just this afternoon I was travelling east on Newbridge Rd Chipping Norton and a guy on a "petrol power assisted" (using the word assisted loosely) was doing a genuine 65kph in 70kph zone. I had no idea they went that fast, no wonder they're illegal.


Nahh, that was just ft_critical's standard cruising speed with no power assist (haven't you been reading the Road Biking forum? :P )

More than likely the "fumes" you smelt were simply the remains of last night's curry. :P


Christine, I hear they have just opened a new Electric Bike shop on the North side, it is right at the Warringah Rd/Forest Way intersection. Maybe you could pop in if you are ever near there? :P

No need to climb with hands in the drops on a E-bike you know :idea:
User avatar
ft_critical
 
Posts: 1540
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: watching the 11

Re: What was THAT?

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:26 pm

These lightweight bicycles are turning you all soft. Get a heavy bicycle and train on it. Then, when you bring the lightweight thingy out, you'll fly.

I shot past two blokes who were on their racing bicycles on the bike path along Orphan School Creek. They didn't catch me for at least 2 or 3km. Perhaps they were nursing egos. Two racing bicycles, and they get dropped by a fat asian bloke on a small-wheeler with a huge St John Ambulance Operations Class A kit on his back (think of the biggest messenger bag you know, and make it bigger and heavier, full of medical stuff). I wouldn't have let him pass, except my highest gear is only 80 gear inches, and his would have been about 112 (80 gear inches and 80rpm cadence gives you 30kph, and I ain't no spinner).
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
User avatar
hartleymartin
 
Posts: 5072
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 pm
Location: Old Toongabbie, NSW

Re: What was THAT?

Postby x8pg2qr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:38 pm

Old and Rusty wrote:Just this afternoon I was travelling east on Newbridge Rd Chipping Norton and a guy on a "petrol power assisted" (using the word assisted loosely) was doing a genuine 65kph in 70kph zone. I had no idea they went that fast, no wonder they're illegal.


I thought they were illegal (I see you are in NSW). And then I read the actual laws.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... tml?rlid=6
Image
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

I mentioned my surprise in the electric bicycles forum:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=28165&p=405731#p405696
Image
Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch
User avatar
x8pg2qr
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:37 pm

Re: What was THAT?

Postby rustguard » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:37 pm

hartleymartin wrote:These lightweight bicycles are turning you all soft. Get a heavy bicycle and train on it. Then, when you bring the lightweight thingy out, you'll fly.

I shot past two blokes who were on their racing bicycles on the bike path along Orphan School Creek. They didn't catch me for at least 2 or 3km. Perhaps they were nursing egos. Two racing bicycles, and they get dropped by a fat asian bloke on a small-wheeler with a huge St John Ambulance Operations Class A kit on his back (think of the biggest messenger bag you know, and make it bigger and heavier, full of medical stuff). I wouldn't have let him pass, except my highest gear is only 80 gear inches, and his would have been about 112 (80 gear inches and 80rpm cadence gives you 30kph, and I ain't no spinner).

sounds like you are building some serious cyclists legs down there!! Assuming of coarse they hadnt pulled over because they thought you were on the way to an emergency.
rustguard
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:31 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: What was THAT?

Postby Christine Tham » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:42 am

ft_critical wrote:Christine, I hear they have just opened a new Electric Bike shop on the North side, it is right at the Warringah Rd/Forest Way intersection. Maybe you could pop in if you are ever near there? :P


Roseville Bicycle shop (my first LBS!!!) sells electric bicycles. :)
Weekdays: "Bliss" (Trek Madone 5.2 2012) | Weekends: "Cadel" (self built) | Casual: "Kitty" (Giant Cypress LDS 2009)
User avatar
Christine Tham
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:45 pm


Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit