Re: Giro

Postby norbs » Mon May 31, 2010 10:42 am

He had a sore tummy.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evans-r ... h-the-giro

Like he is the only one that gets crook on a 3 week tour. :roll:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon May 31, 2010 10:58 am

Porte did the same, and mentioned it, so why isn't he criticised ? As did others (who withdrew), and even others who lost heaps of time (Sastre) and plenty of others just didn't perform (Garzelli, Cunego, Simoni, Wiggans - oh yeah, it was just training.... :roll: ).

Seems like Cadel get slammed each time he finds/states a reason ?? Mind you, I'd rather the did my best, but wasn't good enough approach, but I couldn't even get up the Zoncolan in 3 weeks, let along after riding another 200+km before it :?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 31, 2010 12:33 pm

MichaelB wrote:Porte did the same, and mentioned it, so why isn't he criticised ? As did others (who withdrew), and even others who lost heaps of time (Sastre) and plenty of others just didn't perform (Garzelli, Cunego, Simoni, Wiggans - oh yeah, it was just training.... :roll: ).

Seems like Cadel get slammed each time he finds/states a reason ?? Mind you, I'd rather the did my best, but wasn't good enough approach, but I couldn't even get up the Zoncolan in 3 weeks, let along after riding another 200+km before it :?
Hi

I am with you Michael ... and yet he is criticised for whinging :roll:

Andrew

Pain Train

Postby Pain Train » Mon May 31, 2010 12:39 pm

Pink would've been nice for Cadel, but either way for us spectators he made it one of the best Giros in memory, without his participation this year it wouldn't have been half as entertaining as it was. I'd rather watch a rider who leaves nothing left in the tank, than someone smiling their way to the top.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 31, 2010 3:43 pm

Yeah turned out leakygas were pretty strong...that and everyone was stuffed in the last couple of stages...shame no one could go on a long attack.
And no storm on the penultimate stage...oh well next year.

brendancg

Postby brendancg » Mon May 31, 2010 5:16 pm

One of the most enjoyable Grand tours I have watched in years. Yes Cadel did mention he was sick, but hell I have not seen that kind of effort from a World Champion in a Grand Tour in a long time. When was the last time a world champion left a Grand Tour with a Jersey and with a minor team around him at the time. I my opinion Cadel has been more complimentary and also relaxed since his move to BMC.

In this race I think we have to congratulate the top 10 - 15 riders for throwing out one hell of a race.
Yesterday was an easy day.

shiv

Postby shiv » Mon May 31, 2010 10:21 pm

So he was sick! BIG DEAL!!!! He didnt whinge, didnt say it was the sole reason he didnt win, just did his best the entire race and made it hard for others to beat him. He has gained major brownie points with me the last few months and wish others would get of his back.

Ok, rant over.

He did an awesome job, as did Matt Lloyd and Richie Porte. The entire race was a treat to watch (in half hour snippets) and pretty much everyone just worked hard for 3 weeks, no one can be accused of whinging with the course they were given to ride

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:01 am

It's always hard to tell when you're not there what and how things are said, but our own Joe E. Brown hinted at something amiss a few stages back and you wonder what it could be. Team troubles, sponsors pulling out, anything? Then he reveals he's been sick. Ok right. I can't imagine performing like he did with what he said he had, but to his credit he gutsed it out. Sad thing is he will never win a GT for whatever reason, team or ability to mount the killer attack... but even if he stopped now he has had a great career. Maybe the Ardennes s/be his stomping grounds until he bows out.

The ride for me was Porte from go to whoa. It will be an interesting career to watch. Seems possessed of a physical and mental maturity beyond his years. I was also a little surprised to see Meyer complete the whole very difficult race. Given his age it would be normal to pull him from the last week. But his time in stage 21 shows he is of strong stuff. Just hope he recovers well.

And Wiggins? Made an implied training race seem like the via dolorosa. Will he be stronger in 5 weeks and ready to do battle with major protagonists? Part of me hopes that he will validate all the hoopla of his signing and yet there is something to the guy, a certain smugness, a pretension almost that makes me want him to come up short. No matter Le Tour promises a battle that will have us all posting in a frenzy I'm sure.

PS for those with long memories SBS used to show the Giro back in the early eighties with far better and longer coverage than the U Tube standard we had this year. Let's hope we get better coverage(even better graphics will do) like the excellent TOC next year.

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:25 am

3 stage wins and 3 jerseys for the aussies :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

and a win for mick in the ToC - the aussies are killing it
brendancg wrote:but hell I have not seen that kind of effort from a World Champion in a Grand Tour in a long time
yep - a top effort from cadel. a stage win and plenty of attacks including one on the penultimate stage when the results were done and dusted.

looking forward to le tour - BMC will be at full strength
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:26 am

<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:57 am

Hi