Increased police "presence" around Docklands and St Kilda Rd

WorkingClassHero

Re: Increased police "presence" around Docklands and St Kild

Postby WorkingClassHero » Fri May 28, 2010 8:40 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
WorkingClassHero wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:SNIP

Waste of time MiG, too many people believe in absolutes as propounded by government and media, it saves them having to think for themselves.

Shaun
So a bike running a red light is irrelevant to this discussion? Doesn't the air get a bit thin up on your high horse? :roll:
Ooooh, struck a nerve?

For the record. IMO, ALL uncaring red light runners deserve an absolute hiding regardless of the number of wheels or legs they use to do so.
What I will always refuse to accept is the unthinking premise that absolute adherence to "the rules" will make for a perfect world. You are free to do so, it'll be me visiting you in casualty, not the other way 'round.

Shaun
Feel free to point out where I said anything about absolute adherence to any rules.

I point out that riding through a red light doesn't just endanger the rider, and according to you I can't think for myself and you'll be visiting me in casualty.

I don't think it's my thought processes that are lacking.
Alan

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:53 am

^

I guarantee you, as the article above points out, more people are injured or killed adhering to the laws you seem to hold in such high regard. I am not advocating a lawless society. What I am saying is this, a cyclist or pedestrian that runs a red light does it with a very high calculated risk. Peds and cyclists don't need lights to tell them to proceed, we proceed when it's safe because it's our butt on the line. Car drivers have a false sense of security, the protection of the car completely ruins their risk calculation to the point of carelessness; therefore, strict adherence to the law is paramount for motor vehicles. I'm not even a red light runner myself, I don't wait at reds for my own safety, I wait because I don't want to set a negative perception of cyclists. I will run them if no one is around or I'm in a big damn hurry. But either way, my number onepriority on my bicycle is my safety.... and running reds or not, I still have to be my own risk manager, no vehicle driver sees the road the same way.

alexander

Postby alexander » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:13 pm

Your money, your life, your choice.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:18 pm

rearviewmirror wrote:^

I guarantee you, as the article above points out, more people are injured or killed adhering to the laws you seem to hold in such high regard. I am not advocating a lawless society. What I am saying is this, a cyclist or pedestrian that runs a red light does it with a very high calculated risk. Peds and cyclists don't need lights to tell them to proceed, we proceed when it's safe because it's our butt on the line. Car drivers have a false sense of security, the protection of the car completely ruins their risk calculation to the point of carelessness; therefore, strict adherence to the law is paramount for motor vehicles. I'm not even a red light runner myself, I don't wait at reds for my own safety, I wait because I don't want to set a negative perception of cyclists. I will run them if no one is around or I'm in a big damn hurry. But either way, my number onepriority on my bicycle is my safety.... and running reds or not, I still have to be my own risk manager, no vehicle driver sees the road the same way.
:roll:
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

martinjs

Postby martinjs » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:54 pm

rearviewmirror wrote:^

http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... =3&t=54133

I suggest you follow this link and read thinks from the "other sides" point of view.

That's why I try and follow all the road rules to the best of my ability.
Not because I "blindly" follow the rules, rather to try and work together with other road users so they feel we belong.
If we want to be treated equally to other road users then me need to act on a equal basis.

Martin
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!