Steep or Rolling Hills

by76

Steep or Rolling Hills

Postby by76 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Without trying to start an argument, how do you define Steep and Rolling hills? I went out today up the old freeway across Mt Lofty and then across through Lenswood and Cudlee Creek to Campbelltown (Gorge Rd is very average by the way). Great ride and perfect weather despite remembering to bring a wind jacket, but now trying to update my ride type I hit the dilemma - steep or rolling?
I vote steep, because now I am sore so they must have been big hills.

arkle

Re: Steep or Rolling Hills

Postby arkle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:50 pm

by76 wrote:Without trying to start an argument, how do you define Steep and Rolling hills? I went out today up the old freeway across Mt Lofty and then across through Lenswood and Cudlee Creek to Campbelltown (Gorge Rd is very average by the way). Great ride and perfect weather despite remembering to bring a wind jacket, but now trying to update my ride type I hit the dilemma - steep or rolling?
I vote steep, because now I am sore so they must have been big hills.
For me a steep hill is one where I absolutely have to stand up to get up it. A rolling hill is one where I can sit on the saddle.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:07 pm

a steep hill is well, steep. maybe long. Rollings hills are easier to define: they're short enough so that you can power over them without necessarily changing down in gears, like the pitch and climb gradients above the Kangaroo Creek lookout on Gorge Road. In theory. Of course, string five or six of them together and the way of getting over them changes somewhat.

I would define Tiers Road - climbing to Lenswood from the South as mofo steep.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Rolling hills aren't considered to be climbs. They are short and can be powered over quickly. But it's the repetitive ups and downs that'll sag one's legs.

Steep hill to me is anything 10% and over. Ones that'll really put the huffs and puffs in. But as for a hill, it can be powered over quickly.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Rolling hill for me is when you descend one hill and don't even need to need to try getting up the next but now that i have read the responses i am wrong?

shiv

Postby shiv » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:15 pm

Next time you're coming down Gorge Rd, turn left at the bridge after you have come down the hill from the dam, Corkscrew Rd. That is steep. End of discussion!

Dazzman

Postby Dazzman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:02 am

or turn left on the way up the Gorge once you are past the dam - Torrens Hill Rd. Unlike the Corkscrew, this road just goes straight up the side of the hill (ie no switchbacks). The corkscrew is probably a steeper gradient but I don't know for sure...but I know Torrens Hill Rd hurts!
2011 S-Works Tarmac
2013 Specialized Carve Pro 29er
1996 Giant ATX 890 MTB

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:12 am

I would consider the ride rolling more than steep, as whilst a lot of the hills are longer than what others describe as "rolling", they aren't steep. They are sods though and would test the legs, but aren't steep over any appreciable distance.

Greenhill Rd is an average of about 7%, and Eagle on the Hill to Mt Lofty is about 6.5%. I think Corkscrew is a tad over 10%, and Fox Creek Rd (the steep bit) was 10.5% avg.

Sounds like a nice ride though.

dirty_harry

Postby dirty_harry » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:39 am

rusty chisel tiers road aint that steep try stentiford rd out the back of lenswood turn right at the rainwater tank on swamp road now thats steep 16+% in parts according to map my ride. thats a b?*&h i can hardly ride up that
White, Orbea Aspin, 2009
Red, Pinarello Sestriere, 2000
Trek 1500 ultegra gear, 2005
given the choice, would you rather share the roads with a woman texting in her four-wheel-drive, a manic truckie, a boy in a grey-import turbo, or a cyclist?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Map My Ride's gradients cannot be relied upon as the base data is overextended in being used in this way.
here is my data from my ride up Fox Creek and then onto Stentiford Rd logged with a Garmin 705.
The steep bit of Fox Creek begins at the start of the highlighted section (14.76km into the ride) and the gradient peaks at around the 12% then down hill and then the big climb up Stentiford Rd, where the gradient peaks marginally less, but goes on a little longer.

I do not consider these to be rolling hills. I even get out of the big chainring for them.

shiv

Postby shiv » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:03 pm

In my opinion, Fox Creek rd has nothing on corkscrew. It could be that corkscrew is longer or has a steepish buildup, but fox creek during the TDU was resonably easy. Yeah I was blowing, but nothing to severe by any means.

Oh and Im no mountain goat either

Those graphs are pretty cool as well

by76

Postby by76 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Whats the starting point for the ride on the chart Clydesdale? Assume you come along Fox Creek Rd / Coldstore then through Lenswood onto Swamp Rd?
How do you read the Garmin output - for example, from the 15km to 20km mark what is the gradient (the grade scale on the right is throwing me with the negative numbers, so it looks like the climb is a 14% one). Agree that the graphs look pretty cool.
I am not sure why it is, but the hardest part of all of the climbs was the first 1km or so at the start of Cross Rd and Freeway (may be riding up Cross Rd before hand?). Everything else I can handle but for whatever reason the path hits me like a punch in the head, then by the boarding kennel I am ok.

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:21 pm

Corkscrew Rd is much steeper than Fox Creek.

the start has been thrown out as I have previously split the ride up into various sections for closer analysis (it was a training ride prior to the 2010 TDU Challenge ride)
The start for this leg was the drink stop near the Kangaroo Creek dam.
Assume you come along Fox Creek Rd / Coldstore then through Lenswood onto Swamp Rd?
correct assumption
the grade scale has negative numbers for when you go downhill, and the steepest section is around the 13% grade
the data available with the Garmin is excellent, and coupled with SportsTracks software it allows for a good post ride examination of the ride.
For my hill work I pace myself using my HR, and after 5 years of HR monitors I know what I can do and for how long.

Like all online mapping tools, the MapMyRide data uses a 90 metre grid extrapolated, which is rubbish when the terrain is steep and variable.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:06 am

Clydesdale Scot wrote:Corkscrew Rd is much steeper than Fox Creek.

Really ? Going on the averages for the total climb and distance travelled, the overall average % is similar. But Corkscrew Rd is longer ?

The Fox Creek climb is a bees gnat over 1km in length, but not sure how long Corkscrew is. Haven't been up there yet, but in my lighter state with a bit more fitness, may make it up there :?

If you don't consider youyrself a mountain goat, and seemingly 'just' get out of the big chainring :shock: :shock: , then I must be a major lardass, because I couldn't even contemplate getting near those hills without the 36T front :shock:

Chapeau to you :)

alex

Postby alex » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:14 am

fox creek road is waaaaay easier than corkscrew

corkscrew road i feel like i want to stop pretty much the whole way up
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.

Patdys

Postby Patdys » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:12 pm

A rolling hill is when you are hurting but I am fine (or covering the pain well).
A steep hill is when I am hurting.
When you are fine and I am hurting, it is 'overtraining' or 'stomach flu'.
05 Azzuri Primo (bought in 08)
10 BMC Team Machine

shiv

Postby shiv » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:25 pm

alex wrote:fox creek road is waaaaay easier than corkscrew

corkscrew road i feel like i want to stop pretty much the whole way up

+1. Id gladly do fox creek 2 or 3 times to corkscrew once. Really like to see it in the TDU

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:10 pm

hangs head in shame:
the reason why you don't see a graph from me for the Corkscrew is that I only ride down it. I can ride up Fox Creek, but I walk up Corkscrew!
The Corkscrew has some very steep switchbacks, so average gradients mask the cruelty of that one.
The Clydesdale is a reference to my weight.
:oops:

by76

Postby by76 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:42 pm

Sounds like I am going to have to harden up and have a crack at some real hills like Corkscrew or at least Tiers and Stentiford Rd. Whereabouts is the "hard bit" of Fox Creek Rd, travelling in which direction?

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:28 pm

by76 wrote:Sounds like I am going to have to harden up and have a crack at some real hills like Corkscrew or at least Tiers and Stentiford Rd. Whereabouts is the "hard bit" of Fox Creek Rd, travelling in which direction?
no hard bit, head from the Cudlee Creek direction [click on map for route and elevation profile]. The ride up Gorge Rd will have you warmed up ready for the climbs :wink:

by76

Postby by76 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Is there a generally held perception that going in one direction is more difficult? For example, I go up the old freeway path to Mount Lofty then across Greenhill rd / deviation rd to cudlee creek and down gorge rd to campbelltown and then the city. If I went the reverse direction, is it harder climbing or about the same?