Extended training rides,Nutrition,Carbs,protein

puffdaddy

Extended training rides,Nutrition,Carbs,protein

Postby puffdaddy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:17 pm

I am training 7 days a week for the k 4 http://www.arcevents.co.nz/k2cycle/content/?page_id=44
My coach has said 4-600 mls fluid an hour and 70 grams of carbs per hr also ,Building up to my longest training ride of 11 hrs, thats a crap load of food and fluid !,I am interested in your comments on this ,I am not saying he is wrong its just I am not used to consuming so much fluid or carbs ,,Monday is a recovery ride,The rest of the week is pretty full on 17-20 hrs on the bike and building,,Race is in October,also interested in protein intake ,,Do I need a 70 grams a day ? "I weigh 70 kg" if so I am probably not having enough,
Puff ,,from NZ ;)
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Bike 2011 Scott ,,all good
Genius 27 sp flat bar ,modified with aerobars etc a strange beast but love it ,,kicks ass

Colin_T

Re: Extended training rides,Nutrition,Carbs,protein

Postby Colin_T » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:51 am

I don't know about the weights in relation to the food but I used to eat heaps when I was cycling.
Breakfast would consist of a big bowl of cornflakes, muesli and milk. 4 slices of toast with butter and peanut butter on.
Morning tea would be a couple of sandwiches, an apple, maybe a cup of chips.
Lunch would be a big hamburger (not this HJs or Maccas crap, but a real burger) with the works, (salad, cheese, beetroot pineapple, whatever) or a ham & salad with the works. A large chips, a couple of muffins or cakes of some sort, a couple of bits of fruit.
Afternoon tea would be about the same as morning tea.
Dinner would be bowl of cornflakes or rice bubbles, lamb chops, potatoes, veges, and anything else I could find. I would regularly eat a whole chicken and fish & chips on Fridays. And on Saturday or Sunday I would put away a serving for 4 people of chicken chow mien & fried rice just for dinner.
Late night snack would be another bowl of cereal and some more toast.
I would drink a couple of litres of milk each day along with fruit juice and water.

I was about 80kgs and would cycle about 100km per day. I reckon about 5kg of my body weight was in food and drink :)
Kicked a black cat? Sounds more like ran over one, backed over it, hunted down its mother and did the same.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:08 am

Just wondering how hard you plan to do this ride?...a power meter would be immensely useful if you want to ride to your limit.From last years results the riders look pretty spread out so there isn't much conserving in the bunch going on unless they get bigger numbers this year...but there isn't "too" much climbing for the distance.
Be interested to hear how your coach is going to train you for this.
I try to stick to a 20/20/60 % diet (fat/pro/carb) but I also struggle to get the protein in...but I do get 60 grams of fibre a day 8) .
600ml an hour seems ok for your weight (Oct NZ won't be to hot)...drinking carbs is the easiest way to get them in.Will they be feeding you on route or do you have to be self sufficient (including energy drink)?.But over that time period you will want some real food too!!!.
Keep the thread going...be interested in your progress.

puffdaddy

Postby puffdaddy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:32 am

Yes I will keep you posted,,17 hrs a week atm working up to 22 hrs,,I have been eating bulk between rides but no where near enough during my rides even with 4 carbo loaded bottles,gels,dates,bananas etc, 6 hr ride tomorrow 60-70 grams an hr, I try to load my drinks with as much carbs without making me sick,It has been working though ,made some big gains,H/rate 127-129 at a steady 37-39 kph,VO2 max 183 bpm and excellent overnight recovery,The k 4 starts at 10 pm through the night and the next day,I have a back up vehicle"Allowed until 7 am" and only plan to have one drink bottle on the bike at a time,I can leave the aero bars on as it is pretty much a solo gig,,To be able to monitor wattage would be great but do not have the $$ so H/rate monitor and perceived effort it is,,2nd lap is a bugger ,may need 4 bottles and a 3 liter camelbak ,going to sort something there ;),consuming and digesting food should not be a problem as I will be staying under 160 bpm unless feeling really good into the 2nd 200 km ,So bulk subway wraps it is ;) ,and bananas ,hammer gels etc,I cannot afford regular massage but have been advised to try compression pants,,4 weeks after I have the the Taupo 320 km enduro starting at 1am ,that should be a fast ride as just rolling hills 180 km of them ;),,my coach said one of the biggest challenges is during race nutrition,,He does I/man ,,Coast to coast etc,,fingers crossed ;)
Mike,,from NZ ;)
Genius 27 sp flat bar ,modified with aerobars etc a strange beast but love it ,,kicks ass

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:26 pm

I was under the impression the body could only process 60g of carbs an hour? Any more will just sit in your stomach leading to problems

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:01 pm

there was a power meter for 300 and something dollars (marked down from over $1000) on the avanti-plus website, on special. Not sure if this is a good deal or not -- sorry for plugging their stuff if this isn't a good price. Good luck.
New tar seal in front of my wheel

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:59 am

tripstobaltimore wrote:I was under the impression the body could only process 60g of carbs an hour? Any more will just sit in your stomach leading to problems

Depends on your body size etc....but yeah roughly 300Kcal of Carbs per hour...rest goes straight thru to the bowels.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:01 am

SeditionTrial wrote:there was a power meter for 300 and something dollars (marked down from over $1000) on the avanti-plus website, on special. Not sure if this is a good deal or not -- sorry for plugging their stuff if this isn't a good price. Good luck.

iBike power meters...not worth spending the money on.

puffdaddy

Postby puffdaddy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:17 am

I got it wrong he did say 60 grams not 70, Heavy rain over here at the moment and had a 6 hr ride to do,,so on the damn spin trainer I go :? i still need to up my protein intake to 1 gram /per kilo body weight but powders make me feel sick,,Whats a cheap alternative ? ,,Hell been craving peanut butter like an addiction,over half a loaf a bread "toasted" with crunchy p/butter a day,I hope its good nutrition :wink:
Mike,,

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:59 pm

Dahl....mmm.
I have to really concentrate on protein.I usually get about .5 to .7 grams per kilo a day.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:05 pm

puffdaddy wrote:I got it wrong he did say 60 grams not 70, Heavy rain over here at the moment and had a 6 hr ride to do,,so on the damn spin trainer I go :? i still need to up my protein intake to 1 gram /per kilo body weight but powders make me feel sick,,Whats a cheap alternative ? ,,Hell been craving peanut butter like an addiction,over half a loaf a bread "toasted" with crunchy p/butter a day,I hope its good nutrition :wink:
Mike,,

pretty packed with saturated fat, I'd steer clear of regular consumption! Try vegemite, its mainly protein.

puffdaddy

Postby puffdaddy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:03 pm

tripstobaltimore ,,cheers deal, love that as well ,,were not even aware in had protein in it :)

wardie

Postby wardie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:38 am

Giant XTC 2

puffdaddy

Postby puffdaddy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:55 pm

wardie,,saved that link awesome,,My biggest concern confirmed though ,,not enough protein but plenty of carbs ;),,Will get a blood test to see if I am low in any minerals etc as well,,At 500 + km a week I need to sort the protein gig asap ,
Mike ;)

orphic

Postby orphic » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:26 pm

How much protein are you getting at the moment?

I don't think it's all that hard to get 1g per kg of body weight. Low fat dairy, tinned tuna as well as bread and cereals that have a good protein content are my main sources. Do you record what you eat? CaloreKing is your friend for checking what you're getting in a day.

puffdaddy

Postby puffdaddy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Cheers been adding some figures,,still short but much closer than I thought :P I am aiming for 1.2-1.5 grams/kg indicated in a previous post http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... ad_cycling
Mike

orphic

Postby orphic » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:47 pm

I wouldn't take what the AIS say as gospel. There is a lot of theory around on how much protein you need. Best advice I can offer would be not to skimp on carbs for the sake of getting more protein in. I think that what I have been doing lately and the carbs certainly would have done me more good than that extra 20g's of protein! The other thing is that protein can make you feel more sastisfied, so you are less likely to want to eat... May not be a good thing in your case since it sounds like you are struggling to get the calories into you. Wish I had that problem ;)

bman81

Postby bman81 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:38 pm

puffdaddy wrote:i still need to up my protein intake to 1 gram /per kilo body weight but powders make me feel sick,,Whats a cheap alternative ?
I'm a big fan of dead animals and skim milk when I need a protein hit. Powders gas me up. Whilst I don't particularly care about it, the people that I ride with don't have the same level of appreciation or tolerance.

Kangaroo is my preferred dead beast as it is ultra-lean and great tasting, followed closely by lamb and cow; in no particular order. Skim milk has a decent dose of other goodness as well as giving good bang for the buck in terms of protein. It works for me, it may not be so great for you.

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:43 pm

fat free soy milk is good too.

puffdaddy

Postby puffdaddy » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:09 pm

Ok I will try skim milk,,I was told to mix it 50/50 with protein powder to make it go further,,I may try that,,As for roo meat it sounds good but there is not many over here ;),,
Mike ;)

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:28 pm

puffdaddy wrote:Ok I will try skim milk,,I was told to mix it 50/50 with protein powder to make it go further,,I may try that,,As for roo meat it sounds good but there is not many over here ;),,
Mike ;)
Maybe try kiwi instead? ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

bman81

Postby bman81 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:34 pm

puffdaddy wrote:Ok I will try skim milk,,I was told to mix it 50/50 with protein powder to make it go further,,I may try that,,As for roo meat it sounds good but there is not many over here ;),,
Mike ;)

Bad luck on the lack of roo. We're exporting it to Peru now, so you might be able to stop a shipment on the way through 8)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Didn't read all the thread but for hard back to back riding days (e.g. stage racing) - 1-1.5g CHO per kg per hour is about right. Probably lower end for slightly less vigorous rides.

One has to learn to eat while going hard.

puffdaddy

Postby puffdaddy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:57 pm

Been having lots of tuna,Just more meat in general,Training has hit the wall in the last week or so,,rides in the rain etc appear to take their toll on recovery time,,Not helped by pulling a muscle/tendon strain at the top of the calf while stretching to hard prior to riding,,"was running late" Going to get it checked out ,real bugger,,Forced to back off to recover ,,Much to my coaches disappointment I done a two, two hr rides on Tuesday which was fine however one hr of the second one I was at race pace,7-8 pm Tuesday night""coach not impressed" Wednesday morning ride I was flat,,Thursday,,4 hrs flat,,Friday,2.5 hrs,average,,Saturday 2 hrs average,Sunday 4 hrs ,,in pain with the calf gig and 50 km from home,,Moral of the story "listen to my coach" Holding my h/rate within 5-15 beats of VO2 max for an hr has stuffed me up, 6 days away from my recovery ride "Monday" No amount of protein is going to sort that ;),,"ok my bleat done for the week ;)

Mike,,