Who got into Noosa Tri and how hard was it?

ClownBoy

Who got into Noosa Tri and how hard was it?

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:22 am

I was blessed with the ability to enter early but was watching today as the server died with the influx of people trying to get in.

Just want to make sure our family got in.

Especially Missy24 - she's been training so hard.

Missy24

Re: Who got into Noosa Tri and how hard was it?

Postby Missy24 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:36 am

I've had a change of plans (oh yeah I'm the queen of change), I've found another Tri to do, down here in Melbourne.

Basically I've got the opportunity to head to up to FNQ and speak to a womens team whose doing the Crocoldile Trophy, and I'm gonna take this opportunity, because I've never been that far North before.

Sorry... I feel really bad that I've changed my plans on you all, I've thought long and hard about it.

I will do the whole BRW or Gatorade series down here (includes an Olympic Distance one on Beach Road) which ever one has the Olympic Distance in it and I may look for a tri in Sydney or WA, cause I'd love to see the boys over in Perth again, but I'd also love to met some people in Sydney who are on the forums.

Sorry, especially sorry to you ClownBoy

:|

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:43 am

Missy24 wrote:Sorry, especially sorry to you ClownBoy

Change?!! How can you change!!

It has been your big target!

Anyway - that's cool for me - will be sad not to swap war stories after though. Good luck with your other tri.

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:04 am

ClownBoy wrote:
Missy24 wrote:Sorry, especially sorry to you ClownBoy

Change?!! How can you change!!

It has been your big target!

Anyway - that's cool for me - will be sad not to swap war stories after though. Good luck with your other tri.
As far as I'm concerned a Triathlon is a Triathlon, doesn't matter where it is, the one down here is on at around the same time, so the goal is still there.

On the plus side you wont have to worry about me kicking you donkey.

I've never been to the daintree... and I can get some MTbing in...

The change is gnarly dude... head north and hang with some mtbers and discuss the HARDEST race in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:15 am

Missy24 wrote: and I may look for a tri in Sydney or WA,
Tri-Shave series are in Sydney (Kurnell) although it's only a sprint distance. 750m - 20km - 5km. I believe there's 3 races, November, January, February.
2010 BMC SLC01

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:18 am

hannos wrote:
Missy24 wrote: and I may look for a tri in Sydney or WA,
Tri-Shave series are in Sydney (Kurnell) although it's only a sprint distance. 750m - 20km - 5km. I believe there's 3 races, November, January, February.
I'm thinking something a little longer... Olympic

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:01 pm

As at midday today the decision has been made to shut the system down due to our web providers not finding a resolution to the problem this morning. No entries are being accepted today. Entries have simply been postponed and the event is NOT full.
We will advise this afternoon via our website www.usmevents.com.au, on facebook and another enews when we will reopen. New measures will take a few days and entries unlikely to open until next week. We will keep everyone informed as the situation progresses.
We appreciate your patience.
Thank You.
Kind Regards
The USM Events Team

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:27 pm

Entry opens again on the 8th i'm told (by a friend who tried to enter)
2010 BMC SLC01

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:47 pm

I tried to get through the server crush to register today, but failed.

If I don't get in whenever it re-opens, I am thinking of going to Canberra for a smaller meet which is Olympic distance (same weekend http://au.srichinmoyraces.org/events/triathlon_festival

It's a bit more mucking around for me, because I live in Brisbane, but I have got those 1.5/40/10 figures set in my head, and I'm v keen to see how I go. The Cairns race was also an option I thought of, but a little too early for me.

Anyone know of any more Olympic distance triathlon races on the east coast around that time?
New tar seal in front of my wheel

Scuba23

Postby Scuba23 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:40 am

My running days are past me... :(

That said my work has entered 3 mixed teams in noosa for this year so I will get a TT in atleast. Good luck to every body trying to register on the 8th - hopefully the server will behave this time!

Given stories from last year I'm thinking of reserving seats at restaraunts now as it sounded like standing room only EVERYWHERE last year... the Noosa winter festival had almost the whole towns restaraunts booked out on the saturday night a couple of weeks ago!
I have to ride early in the morning, before my brain figures out what I'm doing...

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:21 pm

Kingscliff event might also be a go-er. QSM didn't do a bad job with the Battle of the Border social ride I went on, and it is a fantastic location. My one query is the estuary to beach swim. If there is a big swell or a strong current, I don't want to drown! :/

Scuba23

Postby Scuba23 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:22 pm

The first Tri QSM held in kingscliff in March was AWESOME! very well organised and a great course (except for the swim as the ocean was in a bad mood that day) the swim was held in the ocean as an out across and back course but it was choppy and a pretty hard day out for all involved. The down side to the swim was a long run back up the beach and past the transition area before getting to the bike - it was around 300+meters on the sand and footpaths to transition.

I believe they are altering that for the september triathlon and the distance is now OLYMPIC as opposed to the almost olympic (1.0km / 32km / 8km) held in March.

Looks set to be another awesome race... even if I am only going to get a ride in a team (mesa no swim! mesa no run!)
I have to ride early in the morning, before my brain figures out what I'm doing...

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:10 am

Entry reopened today and seems to be the same issues again.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:39 pm

Registration was kind of like last time, except this time I got in... 8)

If you didn't get on today, that's it, individual entries are now sold out. :|

So, money paid, name on list. A bit daunting to see how many people will be there -- better keep doing my training. I will still seriously consider Kingscliff tho. I am sure it will be a more friendly and relaxed atmosphere (it's that kind of place!), and at $60 instead of $210, it's a steal.

@Clown Boy: I saw you were giving Missy a bit of advice with her training program, so thought I would put mine up for comment too. I'm pretty time poor during the week, except for Thursdays, so I have had to rationalise a bit:

-- Thursday I have been trying to do 1.5km in the pool (freestyle, no pauses), followed by a 40km bike. Then in the evening I play indoor soccer (which kinda takes care of a bit of running -- nowhere near 10km, but anyhoo).
-- Sunday morning I basically try to do the full triathlon distance, with as little transition time as possible.

I know this program is pretty unconventional compared to a lot of what is published, but I like it because it cuts down on getting changed / showers / prepping bike (at least a little bit). I think usually published programs would advocate many more sessions, of slightly shorter individual duration (but longer cumulative duration)?

Anyway, I am not aiming to set the course on fire, but hope to surprise myself on the day, and get a bit more "fitter".

Any advice would be great -- I have checked out the "transitions" triathlon-specific forum, but would agree with Clown Boy's previous comments regarding that site -- a lot of people with issues seem to hang out there, so it doesn't seem like a nice environment to get beginner's advice.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:31 pm

Hey Sedition,

What a trial! I am lucky I got to enter a few weeks ago or I would have been pulling my hair out.

In asking for advice (Missy knows this already) - I have about 5 tris under my belt and <18 month training experience. So I am not an expert.

However I have 2 half ironmans, a full ironman and Noosa and a couple of other races over the next 10 months so I am on a steep learning curve.

If I was as time poor as you are, I would still peak on Thursday and Sunday (as you have described) but put a focus on each (instead of trying to do all 3 legs with equal emphasis).

So if Thursday has a cycling focus - can you do a 40km time trial (as in cycle without pauses, traffic lights, etc, if you can) - then swap shoes and do some sprints. Pick a 200m course and you run it full speed then jog back lightly. Fit in half a dozen.

When you hop in for your swim - 1.5km can be boring - or it does for me. I would pick my race speed (say 2min/100m or faster\slower depending on your ability) and do 500m(10minutes), 400m(8 minutes), 300m (6 minutes), 200m (4 minutes), 100m (2 minutes). It is still 1500m but you get rest intervals after shorter periods and I find it easier than just swimming.

Saturday could be more about running. If you are only running once a week - make it a decent 15km track (or 5km loop you repeat) and time your efforts. Work on getting faster. When you go to the pool afterward - make this session more about technique. 200m warm up then do some kick drills, pool buoy work, etc.

Does that help? It isn't much training but it sounds like you know you can do the distance. So you want some time to focus on improving cycling. And some time to focus on improving running. And time to focus on improving swimming. (as oppossed to just putting a bit of time into a hodge podge of all 3.

Make sense?

Missy24

Postby Missy24 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Hey CB

Just want to say thanks again as always.

Really appreciate it.

Missy
:wink:

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:45 pm

;) Pleasure

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:52 pm

thanks for the advice, some reasonable thoughts. So far I have just been focussed on making the distance, will now try a few of those tips to attempt to improve my times. I will also see about registering for some smaller/shorter races prior to Noosa so I am not totally bewildered by the transitions.

ClownBoy

Postby ClownBoy » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:57 pm

SeditionTrial wrote:thanks for the advice, some reasonable thoughts. So far I have just been focussed on making the distance, will now try a few of those tips to attempt to improve my times. I will also see about registering for some smaller/shorter races prior to Noosa so I am not totally bewildered by the transitions.
Do you live in Brisbane\surrounds?

I used Gold Coast Sprintman event (part of the Gpold Coast Half Ironman) as my practice event.

1km swim, 33km cycle, 7km run - perfect for practice and confidence.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Yes, profile updated today -- I'm in Brisbane. Another good tip CB, I will register for that Gold Coast sprint tri. To be honest I think Kingscliff is probably a nicer environment, but a little worried about an open water swim in the surf as a first-up, so I will probably take my chances with the bull sharks in the canals! :)

Training again tomorrow morning... might start a separate post with some distances and times to keep myself motivated and honest.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:28 am

I've registered for the Gold Coast Sprintman event, thanks for the pointer, CB (sooo much cheaper than Noosa!).

I've also started a separate thread with my training diary (also in the Triathlon section of the forum). Will try to keep it up to date... :)

chris641

Postby chris641 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:02 pm

Yo I'll be there! In a team so I get to do a TT :)
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:19 pm

SeditionTrial wrote:Yes, profile updated today -- I'm in Brisbane. Another good tip CB, I will register for that Gold Coast sprint tri. To be honest I think Kingscliff is probably a nicer environment, but a little worried about an open water swim in the surf as a first-up, so I will probably take my chances with the bull sharks in the canals! :)

Training again tomorrow morning... might start a separate post with some distances and times to keep myself motivated and honest.
Where in Brisvegas are you?

I've been doing tris for a few years now - I'm happy to share what limited knowledge I have acquired..... :)
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

chris641

Postby chris641 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Brisbane is the place to be!
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:00 pm

SeditionTrial wrote:
-- Thursday I have been trying to do 1.5km in the pool (freestyle, no pauses), followed by a 40km bike. Then in the evening I play indoor soccer (which kinda takes care of a bit of running -- nowhere near 10km, but anyhoo).

-- Sunday morning I basically try to do the full triathlon distance, with as little transition time as possible.

I know this program is pretty unconventional compared to a lot of what is published, but I like it because it cuts down on getting changed / showers / prepping bike (at least a little bit). I think usually published programs would advocate many more sessions, of slightly shorter individual duration (but longer cumulative duration)?

Anyway, I am not aiming to set the course on fire, but hope to surprise myself on the day, and get a bit more "fitter".

Any advice would be great -- I have checked out the "transitions" triathlon-specific forum, but would agree with Clown Boy's previous comments regarding that site -- a lot of people with issues seem to hang out there, so it doesn't seem like a nice environment to get beginner's advice.
Transitions can be very noobiefriendly, but as with many forumes people can get on without having done any homework and ask silly questions right up front without having sat and watched how "the lane is working" :) I'm on Transitions, and I'm more than happy to help :)

Now - as far as your race/training program - I'm no veteran, but this will be Noosa number 3 for me, plus Mooloolabas too, and I used to race masters swimming too, so I've thrown in a bit of training here and there too.

It is good that you are working at doing 1.5 km swims, but aim to also be able to do 2km. Believe me - on race day, when the adrenalin hits, you will want to be able to swim through the initial rush of blood and settle into your pace - that initial rush of blood will be much faster than you would normally pace for 1.5km in the pool, and also remember there are no line markings to follow and no walls to push off of - so again you want to know you have the full distance under your belt plus margin. Remember also most published and squad swim sessions are also aimed at making you swim stronger in race conditions, hence the shorter elements at higher intensity = strength and endurance.

If you are comfortable on the bike over a shop ride distance, you will be fine with the OD distance - again - just remember to settle into your OWN rhythm.

As far as the run goes - you WILL want to be doing some run specific training - soccer training/playing wont do it. By the time you have swum 1500m, and biked 40000m, your body is tired, and running off the bike is a different thing altogether - change in posture, change in muscles etc..... so on the run it will take you a good 1-1.5km to find your run rhythm - and your cadence. You settle into this, assuming you aren't setting too high a pace for yourself with the whole blood rush/excitement of race day, and by the time you get to the 4/5km mark, you are feeling it. By the time you get through 6, 7, and 8, you are really feeling it. You would be amazed how much things can tighten up around this mark, and if you don't have the conditioning for it, you can end up shortening up your stride, tight through your legs and glutes, lower back - all tight, and the last 2 km becomes harder work than it needs to be.

I don't know what you do work wise, but even if you start doing a 5 km run in your lunch hour, or join a run group - eg Active Stride at South Bank has an evening run group that is free. Even at night, a 5km run will only take you 30-40 mins in the beginning, and before you know it you will be pumping out an easy 6-8km in about 40-50 minutes as a training run, which sets you up for doing a long slow 10km on a weekend morning - that is really what I would say you need as a good base to enjoy your OD tri experience without too much pain :)

See you in transition.....
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!