For lack of a better title... Gout anyone?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
The Womble

For lack of a better title... Gout anyone?

Postby The Womble » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Im not even sure if Ive spelt it right, but it feels like my foots broken in a gazillion places, the skin across the top is shiny and swollen. I seem to have all the stuff associated with the condition so far.
I wear Diadora Carbon 2s which are fairly narrow and the straps are done up so loosely now that Im getting no support for my left foot, which I think is resulting in unnecesary pressure on the ankle and stopping me from being able to ride.
Id like to know if anyone here has suffered from this and what the treatment was, and whether a wider shoe would just delay the inevitable.
Any help would be appreciated. I should point out that I havent actually been diagnosed yet but everything points to Gout.

elantra

Re: For lack of a better title... Gout anyone?

Postby elantra » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:59 pm

That might be gout, but could be other things as well.
If it is gout, there are simple, cheap and effective medications available.
BUT, even if it is gout, this indicates it is time to see a doctor for a more general check-up, and probably get some blood tests done would be a good idea.
:idea:
Steve

drubie

Postby drubie » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:09 pm

- cut back on the alcohol and coffee
- drink more water
- drink some more water before you go to bed
- drink some more water when you wake up

I've had it in the past (not that bad though) and it's usually the result of too much grog, too much sweat, not enough fluids.

Just cut back on the activities and try to stay off your foot for a while - it goes away after a decent week of hydration.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

bsd7465

Postby bsd7465 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:34 pm

Sound like gout to me, red shiny and feels like youve been hit with a hammer, i've had it on and off for 10years, first got it in the middle east, due to heat and de-hydration, but have since suffered in all weathers. Loads of foods can cause it, tuna and red meat, its not only beer as i get when working offshore with no alcahol for 3 weeks. Get a blood test, if your uric acid is high it's most likley gout. Need to take a small pill a day. Cherry juice is also supposed to be good.

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Best advice here, go see a proper Doctor, not Dr Forum.
*** insert signature here ***

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Im not asking for a diagnosis as such Cinder. Im just trying to get a guage on the situation, and my GP loves being vague.
This is where this section comes in handy.
Im off to the doc on Saturday morning for bloods and xrays.

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:59 pm

The Womble wrote:Im not asking for a diagnosis as such Cinder. Im just trying to get a guage on the situation, and my GP loves being vague.
This is where this section comes in handy.
Im off to the doc on Saturday morning for bloods and xrays.

Time to find a new GP.
2010 BMC SLC01

Cinder

Postby Cinder » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Find a better GP (often easier said than done in my experience) to diagnose what the situation actually is, then go from there.
*** insert signature here ***

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:05 am

Dad gets this in his big toe which cripples him - who woulda thunk the biggie was that important :)

Anyhoo...he avoids broccolli and I think cauli as they are high in something, avoids oily fish and shellfish, avoids alcohol. Without meaning to sound negative of all the "good food hype" with that diet, he'll probably get cancer. Reduced his bouts of gout though. Scallops are his weakness but a meal of them will guarantee a bout within 2 days.

The little tablet makes you expel the acid so you may want to keep close to the WC :shock:

I suggested cherries to him as a natural alternative but he can't stand them...heathen!!

I don't envy your condition.

frank2112

Postby frank2112 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:13 am

I've had it on and off in my ankle for about 4 years. Doc prescribed Indocid for it and it works well enough. didn't know about Cherries or Cherry juice. Will have to give it a go. It definitely sucks when it hits. Usually I have to spend about 2-3 days off the foot completely while the swelling goes down and then be very careful of what I do and what I eat/drink.

longshanks

Postby longshanks » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Womble, as a gout sufferer it would seem to me that those symptoms you described are classic manifestations of this cursed affliction. If it makes you feel any better, there have been some notable sufferers including Isaac Newton, Henry VIII, Benjamin Franklin and Charles Darwin. A simple blood test measuring your uric acid levels will confirm or deny. I can only concur with much of what i have read here. Definitely keep the fluids up as this will flush those nasty uric crystals from your blood stream. Go easy on shellfish, red meat and alcohol (it's a diuretic). Mine was so bad i now take a tablet daily to keep it at bay (allapurinol) and use colchicine and indocid in case of acute attacks which are pretty rare these days as I do not drink as much as I used to (i was a slow learner!) As moosterbounce alluded too, foods that are high in purines are to be avoided. If it is gout (and i sincerely hope it isn't) then there is a wealth of information on the web as to how to manage it. Home remedies (like cherries) can work for some too as a means of treating a bout of gout (so to speak). I have found over time however that a lot of it is trial and error as you learn more about what food and drink it is in particular that can potentially trigger an attack.
Good Luck.