Kickstand for MTB tourer?

Leaf T

Re: Kickstand for MTB tourer?

Postby Leaf T » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:42 am

Hi all,

Not sure how old this thread is but has anyone mounted a rearmount stand like the Greenfield one onto Surly LHT?

Cheers,

Andy

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:33 am

Steve: Yes I tapped the threads ... that's my tap wrench in the first photo ... Is your stand delayed because of the European airline delays? I've been waiting for a Wiggle order for 2 weeks now.
Cheers
Greg

stevepedlin

Postby stevepedlin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:08 pm

Ahh, I didn't see the tool in the first pic.. doh!! :oops:

No, this order is through my preferred LBS. But I must have got real lucky with wiggle lately, all three of my order packages this month have arrived within 5 working days of ordering from them. First order, I shelled out the extra $10 for priority postage, next two orders I didn't, they all turned up within 6 days, go figure.. :roll: - save your money is now my humble advice..

It must have been the air traffic hold up that has messed with your order Greg, only thing I can think of. Though, some guys have reported poor delivery service from wiggle when there was no obvious cause as well.

Nice work with your stand.
I'll report back later about my centre stand, hopefully. :D

juddo

Postby juddo » Mon May 03, 2010 6:54 pm

mylesau wrote: The only issue I've had is that the rubber on the U section that goes under the top tube is beginning to wear - it should be an easy fix with a little grip tape or similar.
have you had any problems with the front wheel moving whilst the bike is in the stand?
2014 Muru Witjira
2013 Cargo Bakfiets
2012 Salsa Vaya
2011 BMC Sl01

mylesau

Postby mylesau » Mon May 03, 2010 9:13 pm

juddo wrote:have you had any problems with the front wheel moving whilst the bike is in the stand?
Hey juddo, no, no problem with movement - I use the supplied brake-bands that prevent the bike from moving - the front wheel can 'flop', but the bike doesn't move enough to upset the stand. I only use one band on the front brake and have had not problems.

juddo

Postby juddo » Tue May 04, 2010 5:10 pm

That is so cool, exactly what i've been looking for, I have even resorted to using bandana's to keep the bike from moving especially when its on the train with the trailer attached.
2014 Muru Witjira
2013 Cargo Bakfiets
2012 Salsa Vaya
2011 BMC Sl01

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Sun May 30, 2010 5:49 pm

I've got one of these on my Tubus Tara front pannier rack on my Surly LHT

http://www.tubus.com/images/stories/pro ... r1-web.gif

On the rear i have a generic stand that attaches on my chain stay and seat stay. Similar to the Greenfield "Stabilizer" except it has quick adjustment screw for the length.

The funny thing is i brought the front kickstand on ebay off a german guy and for the life of me i can't find where to buy another one for my girlfriends bike.
No online shops seem to have it in the world and ordering it in from a LBS in oz would cost way too much IMO.
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:48 pm

Why do you need a stand?
I have done somewhere around 60,000 kms of touring in Europe, Canada, USA, NZ and the wonderful land of OZ either solo or on a tandem.
I still have yet to need a stand. I have seen other tourers with them that have had them break (not sure which model sorry). Just something else to go wrong.

stevepedlin

Postby stevepedlin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:02 pm

Geoff, did you have someone else to do all your mechanical work for you? Or did you just flip your bike upside down to do mundane maintenance chores? or was there an option C, like carrying very strong but light spectra line to string your bike up when work or rebuilding needed to be done.

Cheers,
steve.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:26 pm

geoffs wrote:Why do you need a stand?
I have done somewhere around 60,000 kms of touring in Europe, Canada, USA, NZ and the wonderful land of OZ either solo or on a tandem.
I still have yet to need a stand. I have seen other tourers with them that have had them break (not sure which model sorry). Just something else to go wrong.
cut a green sapling 'Y' and prop against something triangulated on frame...and a rubber band for brake. carry with you. repeat. trees make good workstands too.

stevepedlin

Postby stevepedlin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:30 pm

boyracer wrote:
geoffs wrote: cut a green sapling 'Y' and prop against something triangulated on frame...and a rubber band for brake. carry with you. repeat. trees make good workstands too.
Nice to see a bit of originality being pasted online. :P :oops: :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:47 pm

geoffs wrote:Why do you need a stand?
'Cos it makes life a bit easier, especially when there's no trees or posts handy.
geoffs wrote:I have done somewhere around 60,000 kms of touring in Europe, Canada, USA, NZ and the wonderful land of OZ either solo or on a tandem.
Good luck to you then.
geoffs wrote:I still have yet to need a stand. I have seen other tourers with them that have had them break (not sure which model sorry). Just something else to go wrong.
Mine is very useful and I haven't busted it yet after 6 years of use.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:58 am

Hi Steve
Managed just fine doing major repairs (4 broken spokes on both sides of wheel, bent derailleur hanger and RD missing top jockey wheel bolt) in the middle of nowhere along the otago rail trail just fine without a stand. (my middle name is MacGyver) For routine maintenance i find a nice spot where i can hang the bike up by the seat and clean the bike, oil the chain or do what needs doing.
I have used a guy rope from the tent to the bike when camped to make a clothes line if there was nothing else available

il padrone,
hasn't broken - yet . most parts on a bike will break eventually.
like blackburn racks that have a great warrantee (I saw 2 of these broken on the Otago trail - well not on the trail, I saw them at pukerangi station being dropped off by a bus)
I just like to keep things as simple as possible. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.
each to their own

Cheers

Geoff

jet-ski

Postby jet-ski » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:08 pm

I think for a lot of inland Australia it is sometimes hard to find a tree to prop a bike up against! I remember even having issues around Kal because all the trees had really nasty spiky things grwoing underneath them just waiting to put a hundred holes in my tyres!!! and yes, damn those stupid PVC road reflector poles! heh.
Bike Friday New World Tourist, Schwinn Le Tour Sport, Giant TCR, Giant STP2, 9:zero:7 fattie

stevepedlin

Postby stevepedlin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:18 pm

Ok, cheers Geoff. I could really do without the 600 odd grams that is my steel centerstand, but I do so like the ease it gives me with standing and maintenance, as a tourer I must still be a little soft lol.. :oops:

If it breaks I'll try and go without it and see how I do, god knows I could do with any reduction in rolling weight. I've always got the spectra line to sling the bike up.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:35 pm

geoffs wrote:il padrone,
hasn't broken - yet . most parts on a bike will break eventually.
That's right, not yet, as I said, after 6 years of loaded touring, and now including over 3000 kms on a continuous tour with 1500 km of outback touring. But it still works very well.
jetski wrote:I think for a lot of inland Australia it is sometimes hard to find a tree to prop a bike up against!
Yep, like this spot out near Arkaroola. That's my loaded bike (and trailer) standing on the road.

Last edited by il padrone on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:15 pm

I'm with geoffs, keep it simple. As a fellow rider once said as we watched an expensive bike fall over," always lie your bike down, it can't fall any further". :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:35 pm

Fine for day racers and bike path spins, but loading panniers on a laid-down bike doesn't work. And during the day when you need to access those bags it's much easier to have the bike secure on a good kickstand. There are many duds - the Greenfield/Pletscher rear-stay mounted stabiliser is one of the best :)
Mandatory helmet law?

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Mylesau, the Clickstand will always be only 'patent pending' (to quote "patent pending" on the Clickstand site). I've used a similar system for over 30 years. Shock corded aircraft grade poles have been around for ever ... for as long as I've been riding.

Lock off the brakes and the bike can basically balance itself ... with the minimum of effort without Clickstand pretending to have invented the definitive system.

When you lock-off the brakes ... with two $1 toggles and two bucks worth of shock cord, going on today's price mind you ...

... the bike will (basically) balance itself for no extra dollars. My pseudo old school Clickstand poles are also my camping fly poles ... and I bought them over 30 years ago.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:48 am

Hi all ... We've lived with the Greenfield "Stabilizer" kick stands for several months since I first posted. Many thanks to the people who suggested we go for this style of stand. The Greenfields have been a joy to live with. Wendy and I are regularly commenting to other cyclists about how much they have improved the whole cycling experience (regardless of the obvious advantages for touring). They have solved a nagging problem, added some extra functionality, and have not introduced any new issues that we are aware of. They are easy to install and look great.
... il pardrone: hope the bones are mending well :wink:
Cheers
Greg

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Here's how mine stands, with a full touring load on board. Greenfield alloy stand, very light, 6 years old.

Mandatory helmet law?

mike.ayling

Postby mike.ayling » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:27 pm

After 40 years together trying to convince SWMBO to ride a single bike I convinced her to try a tandem.

She has seen a double leg stand on somebody's tandem and now wants one.

Given rules one and two of tandem riding:

The stoker should be kept happy at all times and

The stoker is always right

Is the Hebe the way to go or what would be the recommendation for a single side tandem stand?

Mike

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:14 pm

On my tandem we use a standard bottom bracket mounted side stand, mounted at the stoker's BB. It works very well. The rear-wards position on the long frame means it has less of a disruption to the stability of the bike than with a single bike, when the steering turns. Something like this (but my tandem is 700C)

I'd suggest a Greenfields centre-mount stand. Sidestands give a wider support than the two-legged stands and are easier to operate (important features with a loaded touring bike).

Two-legged stands do have the advantage of doing dual duty as a workstand for rear wheel or drivetrain work.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:57 am

il padrone wrote:On my tandem we use a standard bottom bracket mounted side stand, mounted at the stoker's BB. It works very well. The rear-wards position on the long frame means it has less of a disruption to the stability of the bike than with a single bike, when the steering turns.
I'd suggest a Greenfields centre-mount stand. Sidestands give a wider support than the two-legged stands and are easier to operate (important features with a loaded touring bike).

Two-legged stands do have the advantage of doing dual duty as a workstand for rear wheel or drivetrain work.
Il Padrone,
any idea if the shorter length Greenfield would be too long for a 20" wheeled Moulton?
I've had to do away with my side-stand that went behind the seat-post due to needing
my Garmin sensor to go there - I couldn't have both unfortunately.
I don't like the look of the bmx ones that necessitate utilizing a hub axle nut to secure them.
Does Mike use a stand on his TRS Moulton?
Cheers
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:42 pm

rifraf wrote:any idea if the shorter length Greenfield would be too long for a 20" wheeled Moulton?
The virtue of the Greenfields is that you buy the one size and then can cut it to suit your bike's requirements. The stand leg has graduations marked on it for guidance. Of course measure twice and cut once - and given the choice cut it long and then re-cut later if needed. There would be few problems using it with a Moulton, except that maybe the chainstay may be a bit small for the stand's clamp, it's designed for standard steel frame stays. A bit of suitable packing might fix that.
rifraf wrote:Does Mike use a stand on his TRS Moulton?
I don't believe he does. Some people are yet to be convinced of the verstility of a simple kickstand :wink: .

By the way, according to Mike's Facebook site he now "lives in Chiang Mai, Thailand". Would explain why I have not seen him all year :o
Mandatory helmet law?