Can I be the first to say, "no !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!?"
Key findings of the report are:
* women in sport made up just nine per cent of all sports coverage in Australian television news and current affairs and seven per cent of other sport programming
* television news reports on female sport had the lowest average duration of all the types of sport news analysed; with reports on male sport having an average duration of 30 seconds longer than reports on female sport
* female athletes generally need to win in order to receive media coverage, whereas male athletes tend to receive coverage regardless of their success
* the gender stereotyping in press and television coverage of female athletes was minimal, with reporting focussed on the performances and results rather than their looks, sexuality or emotions.
The Australian Government through the ASC recognises that one of the major barriers facing womenâ€™s participation in sport is getting women seen, heard and supported in the media. That is why the Government is investing in raising the profile of women's sport in Australia by providing:
* $32 million over 4 years to the Football Federation Australia, which includes supporting a televised Westfield Womenâ€™s League,
* $2.4 million to support the Trans-Tasman netball competition, including funding to support and promote free-to-air television coverage of the ANZ Netball Championships; and
* $100,000 to support the 5th IWG International Conference on Women and Sport.
Discuss if you like....