Headset press?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Headset press?

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:50 am

Do any of you Perth riders have a headset press you can lend me? I prefer a bought one, but I'm happy to use a DIY version if someone already has it built up.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:15 pm

I have a diy but it'll cost you more in time and petrol to get it than going to bunnings to buy the parts.
I have to admit that the last headset I installed I got lazy and used the block of wood and rubber mallet method. Went in as slick as.... If you use this method start off with baby taps until you get the headset aligned.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:29 pm

tallywhacker wrote:I have a diy but it'll cost you more in time and petrol to get it than going to bunnings to buy the parts.
I have to admit that the last headset I installed I got lazy and used the block of wood and rubber mallet method. Went in as slick as.... If you use this method start off with baby taps until you get the headset aligned.
Any chance of a pic or something Tally? I'm a big fan of the MacGyver effect :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:55 pm

Here ya go Shaun: linky

This is as simple as it gets, but I was hoping for one with the bushes in it.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:31 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Here ya go Shaun: linky

This is as simple as it gets, but I was hoping for one with the bushes in it.

Cheers,
Graeme
this is spot on except I use 2 2" x 2" blocks of wood instead of multiple washers

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:50 pm

You know, I've had two headsets pressed in by the lbs recently, both for the cost of the headset (ie, no labour charge). Having watched the mechanic do it yesterday, I'm in no hurry to bodgy up a tool to do the job ... for new frames. The one old frame I've done recently was done with two blocks of wood and an F Clamp.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:18 am

I stopped in on the LBS today and asked them for an indication of the mechanics' availability and whether I'd need to book the frame and forks in for this to be done. They said "just bring it in - should only take 10 minutes. Oh, and there's a $15 minimum labour charge ....."

I thought "BARGAIN!", so I guess that's what I'll do when the headset turns up. If someone has a press they can lend me, I'll grab it. Otherwise, against my principles, I'll visit the LBS to get some work done.

Like Richard, I'm not keen on a bodgey job, but I know there are some fairly good DIY presses out there ( bronze bushes and all) and I would have been happy to use one of them. Anyway, I've got a few days to wait before my steering damper bracket arrives from the States.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

europa

Postby europa » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:37 am

Kalgrm wrote: Oh, and there's a $15 minimum labour charge ....."
I guess that's the advantage of being a regular face in the store :oops:

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:38 am

I must confess that getting the lbs to do something sort of violates the 'purity' of doing it all myself, but there is a place for pragmatism, even in my life :shock:

Richard

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:52 pm

I'm a regular face (well, at least they recognise the 'bent ....) but even I would not expect them to do my work for nothin'. After all, I have never bought anything BIG from them, only tubes, tyres, etc.

$15 is very good. I'm happy to pay the price for the piece of mind of not ruining the frame.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:39 pm

Thanks for the link and tips Graeme and Tally. :D

Princess is in bits pending a trip to the powder coaters, just waiting for aproval from the minister of finance...

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:42 pm

Kalgrm wrote:I stopped in on the LBS today and asked them for an indication of the mechanics' availability and whether I'd need to book the frame and forks in for this to be done. They said "just bring it in - should only take 10 minutes. Oh, and there's a $15 minimum labour charge ....."
I hope this wasn't Fleet Graeme ... You might be in for a surprise re the "should only take 10 minutes" comment.

Andrew

europa

Postby europa » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Kalgrm wrote:I stopped in on the LBS today and asked them for an indication of the mechanics' availability and whether I'd need to book the frame and forks in for this to be done. They said "just bring it in - should only take 10 minutes. Oh, and there's a $15 minimum labour charge ....."
I hope this wasn't Fleet Graeme ... You might be in for a surprise re the "should only take 10 minutes" comment.

Andrew
Took less than that with the Jamis headset ... and he had to run upstairs to get the tool :D

Richard