Geoff Scott frame builder -

rogerrabbit

Re: Geoff Scott frame builder -

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:31 pm

I have rebuilt my 1991 Clement, custom built by Geoff for me in Columbus SLX. It now has a Campy 11-speed Record groupset complimenting the original Cinelli bars and stem. It has a circa 1999 set of Super Record 32h low flange hubs laced to Open Pro rims with very fine 15/17 spokes.

All up, it weighs in at about 8kg with pedals, around 200gm more than my 2008 Giant TCR Advanced 1. Not bad for a steel framed bike. My bathroom scales aren't too precise though.

It retains its original paint, and is getting its first rides this week. I will get some photos up soon

spirito

Postby spirito » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:19 am

rogerrabbit wrote:

All up, it weighs in at about 8kg with pedals, around 200gm more than my 2008 Giant TCR Advanced 1. Not bad for a steel framed bike. My bathroom scales aren't too precise though.
Dear Roger,

Drop me a reminder a few weeks ahead of your birthday ... I think you need a new set of bathroom scales :P :lol:

A lugged, SLX tubed frame in a size you'd normally ride is gonna come in at 3kg's for frame and fork or a little over. I'd say around 9 kg's or a little more for a complete bike with pedals is probably more accurate :wink:
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:25 am

My birthday was yesterday, but late pressies gratefully accepted. :D

My point was that the two bikes weigh pretty much the same, certainly within a few hundred grams. Obviously the campag fitout is lighter than the fitout on my Giant.

spirito

Postby spirito » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:04 pm

rogerrabbit wrote:My birthday was yesterday, but late pressies gratefully accepted. :D
Happy Birfday Rog. I'll swing around later this week ... I got this for Christmas but it's not my thing (no room for fenders or racks). I know it's not your size but I'm thinking you might be able to use the parts and offer the frame as trade bait for a Bosomworth or some other NZ frame :wink:

Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

kevinwulf

Postby kevinwulf » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:17 pm

spirito wrote:
rogerrabbit wrote:My birthday was yesterday, but late pressies gratefully accepted. :D
Happy Birfday Rog. I'll swing around later this week ... I got this for Christmas but it's not my thing (no room for fenders or racks). I know it's not your size but I'm thinking you might be able to use the parts and offer the frame as trade bait for a Bosomworth or some other NZ frame :wink:
Ha! Santa's elves don't know which side to put the front qr skewers on.

spirito

Postby spirito » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:01 pm

kevinwulf wrote:

Ha! Santa's elves don't know which side to put the front qr skewers on.
Their thinking is outta wack mostly due to the time they've spent in detention centre's :mrgreen:

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:23 pm

Given we are mates, I would have thought you could come up with something half decent for my birthday :wink:

Beautiful bike btw. Is it really yours?

john symonds

Postby john symonds » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:44 pm

mr.rodger i have geoffs very first frame as i use to give him a hand building reguards john

spirito

Postby spirito » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:46 pm

rogerrabbit wrote:Given we are mates, I would have thought you could come up with something half decent for my birthday :wink:

Beautiful bike btw. Is it really yours?
You win :mrgreen:

... sorry, not mine Roger.

heftyzx9r

Postby heftyzx9r » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:08 pm

macyk wrote:I worked at Clarence Street Cyclery in Sydney from March 1990 until August of 1990 and knew Geoff Scott personally.
Do you remember this bike?

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/attachm ... 770121[img]
[/img]

heftyzx9r

Postby heftyzx9r » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:11 pm

Here is my call for help to find it...

http://bb4.rotorburn.com/forums/showthr ... eoff-Scott

BicyclesPlus

Postby BicyclesPlus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:25 am

Hi Everyone,

I currently work with Geoff Scott at Bicycles Plus in Campbelltown, NSW.
Contact details for the shop are as follows;
Shop 2, Freedom Centre, 17 Blaxland Serviceway, CAMPBELLTOWN
Ph: (02) 46283155

Also, macyk - I will show Geoff your message - I'm sure he would love to see it :)

Thanks & Good luck.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Joe Cosgrove is still alive? I've seen him name on lists of Brisbane frame builders and assumed he had departed along with Tom Wallace et al. Methinks i might put that number on speed dial lol.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

spirito

Postby spirito » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:32 pm

BicyclesPlus wrote:Hi Everyone,

I currently work with Geoff Scott at Bicycles Plus in Campbelltown, NSW.
Contact details for the shop are as follows;
Shop 2, Freedom Centre, 17 Blaxland Serviceway, CAMPBELLTOWN
Ph: (02) 46283155

Also, macyk - I will show Geoff your message - I'm sure he would love to see it :)
Say hello to Geoff and let him know I sold a frame of his to a mate of mine in Texas !!!

Is he building at all? Does he have any pics or history he'd like to post? Can I buy him a beer?
A lot of people have asked about him and his frames and I've always admired his work 8)

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:54 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Joe Cosgrove is still alive? I've seen him name on lists of Brisbane frame builders and assumed he had departed along with Tom Wallace et al. Methinks i might put that number on speed dial lol.
Yep, Joe's still going strong. There is even a recent pic of him in this thread.
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

alibi

Postby alibi » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Hey lads.
I too have a Geoff Scott built Clamont frame that I am currently restoring. I wasn't going to make my own thread about it.. but I want to share the fine workmanship with others who appreciate as I do.
Also, I wouldn't mind to find out any extra history on it if anyone knows!

The frame was originally painted in a Pink/White fade. Black texta written on fork tube specified 'Rose/Coconut Ice' as the colour.. and if memory serves me well, P.White was also written. Possibly the customers name? Some other writing was worn off. 'by Geoff Scott' decals were present on the top tube and will be replaced.
The frame itself is from Columbus tubing of unspecified type. Very light and quite tight geometry for a roadie. Columbus pantographed front and rear dropouts. Columbus stamps on the fork tube and also steerer tube but no other markings (serial numbers, size etc). Nice long Bacoma lugs and a fancy fork crown I can't identify.
I guess it was built for a Columbus fan, possibly a female?

Please don't hate but I need a break from derailers so I'm building it fixed gear. But I have not, will not, remove any brazeons. I did, however, have to remove the brake cable guides as one was damaged.
It came with mostly 600ex components which I will be polishing and keeping on the bike. It also happens to be my favourite 80s design grouppo so it was a no-brainer. I will also run dummy shifters on the downtube lugs, keep it classic looking. A good friend of mine makes decals for a living so I will redo and improve on the originals. Should be lovely.

It wasn't chromed when I bought it but I had the rear drops and fork chromed because I love the look. I was sure to have it treated properly including acid bathed and baked to prevent any internal rusting. The pre-polishing job wasn't pefect because Geoff had the frame sandblasted which makes it a hell of a job to do! If i had known better I'd have polished it myself but the chrome is nice and thin and the price was within my budget. I'm only going to ride, scratch and dirty the frame anyway so I can live with it till I decide to redo it.

Anyway, pics as is:

pantographed crown:

pantographed seat stays:

BCM stamp:

Headtube lugging:

Gippieme brake bridge. You can see how I have followed the lines and sanded the chrome where I will re-mask and paint:

Rear drops:

Painting soon, will get some more up later!

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:09 am

I've picked up a "Clamont Professional"
Shimano Sante' Group set in pearl white Brakes stamped BR5000, Cranks Biopace stamped FC5000 etc

Unicrown Fork
Columbus stamped on the fork tips and also the "The Dove Symbol" on the steerer tube.
Sticker on Forks
Forcella
Originalle
Colombus
"The Dove Symbol"

Frame
Ser No L5Y XXXX
* Sticker on Frame Seat Tube
Columbus
Tubi Rinforzati Garantiti
Acciaio "The Dove Symbol" Speciale
http://cyclomondo.net/page8.htm
Stickers are a combination of "Columbus 1" but with rounded corners on the Frame Seat Tube and similar to the smaller stickers in columbus 2 on the forks without the black bottom on the stickers.

The Seat Post has 27.2 stamped on it, it was 180mm long and frozen in the frame
=>> plenty of penetrene soaking from both ends+time followed by clamping in the bench vice were required to remove it.

Given the above I have the following Qu's
1) Is it possible that the seat post should be 27.0mm?
2) What size seat posts are fitted to other "CLAMONTS" with Columbus Tubing?
3) What sort of Columbus Tubing is the bike made from? Its not "SL" or "SLX" on the sticker
4) Is this likely to be a Geoff Scott built frame?...... Did Geoff Scott make all the Clamont Professional frames? or did Paul Hillbrick make some of the frames as well?

Thanks,
Rob

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:54 am

Rob.

I think the Geoff Scott made Clamonts have "GEFSCO" pantographed onto the seat stay's.

A stuck seatpost doesn't indicate the wrong sized post. It just means some fool failed to grease it and the seat tube enough before inserting said post into the tube. Add a bit of moisture and time and hey presto, a stuck post.

Tubing ID could be difficult. Given that the seat post is a 27.2mm it could be SLX. If it is, the inside of the fork steerer tube should have rifling inside it down towards the crown. If not I guess it could be SL. I am no expert though

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi SSS

WRT Seat Stays, mine are plain, no obvious "Clamont" or "GEFSCO" pantographed or markings
=>> Okay but from what I can see on the web there is variation in this:
Sweet 1991 Clamont
531 Clamont
=>> The frame in appearance and "Clamont Stickers" looks similar to this
per More pics here
The "Professional" Sticker Looks Like this one"

Re comment "fork steerer tube should have rifling inside it down towards the crown"
=>> It has five (5) spiral shaped 3mm wide x 1-1.5mm high raised protrusions that traverse approx 1/4 to 1/3 of the tube circumference over the first 80mm of the inside of the steerer tube from the crown upwards.

The Frame Lug Work Looks like that in alibi » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:07 pm post above.
Except, no obvious Columbus stampings on rear of frame dropouts, nor does the fork have the "C inside the Spades Symbol" atop the fork crown.

An old frame builder mentioned that with 531C if you put the seat tube in one way you get a 27.0mm seat post the other way a 27.2mm seat post can anyone confirm?…seem to recall reading something about this WRT Miyata Frames as well…..Is this the same maybe for some of the Columbus Tubing??

Hi Rogerrabbit
=>> What Size is your Seat Post??

Rob.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:58 pm

My Clamont was SLX and took a 27.2 post. No panto on the stays but mine was a Clamont not a Gefsco branded frame. The fancy lug cutouts and lug styles were options with the build. Hope this helps.

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:00 pm

Sl tubing is also 27.2 btw. Mine had visible rifling in the seat tube and fork steerer from memory. The SLX tubing is substantially stiffer than SL and heavier. Can't comment on actual weights though.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:19 am

Hi RR Thanks for your posts above.
"My Clamont was SLX and took a 27.2 post."….
"Mine had visible rifling in the seat tube and fork steerer"…"SLX tubing is substantially stiffer than SL and heavier."

This one is stickered as a CLAMONT, no obvious Gefsco markings or built by Geoff Scott Stickers or evidence of them having been fitted, seat tube has no obvious internal protrusions/rifle style tapers at top or bottom. No Water bottle mounts on the seat tube either, just one set on the down tube.
=>> I'm wondering over what time period Geoff Scott built frames for Clarence St Cycles and whether the Serial No Format on mine matches those built by Geoff Scott for Clarence St Cycles and their "CLAMONT" Shop brand.

Seat Post has "3ttt embossed on it on the head fitting", 27.2 stamped on it just below the head fitting and Italy 86 stamped/inscribed on it below the minimum insertion line. The top of the seat post is fluted similar to photos posted of other CLAMONT bikes.

Have not weighed the bare frame yet. As picked up, using Park Tools Scales, whole bike weighs 9.9kg including Shimano 105 toe clip pedals, for a 1985 62.5cm seat tube / 58cm top tube frame fitted with 1986 Sante Group Set (one of the first mass market SIS Down Tube Shifter sets) and other period components, gatorskins & 100g tubes (unusually for a road/race bike it has 36hole 700C rims Shimano 105 Hubs laced 3 cross with stainless steel spokes front and rear)….not bad for a 25" framed "all original period bike" the seat typical of that period has chromed steel rails and is 340grams..... Bike is of similar quality and weight group to a Repco Eurosport Tria or Vertex & Apollo IV from 1987/1988.

Rob

DavidI

Postby DavidI » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:45 am

Rob74 wrote:..........(unusually for a road/race bike it has 36hole 700C rims Shimano 105 Hubs laced 3 cross with stainless steel spokes front and rear)......
Actually for a bike of that era that's completely normal. 32 hole rims were only just becoming popular/available by the late '80s, and even then still 3 cross with stainless spokes. I bought a new Diamond Back Master in 1995 and it had 3 cross 32 spoke wheels......

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 pm

DavidI » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:45 am
Re "Actually for a bike of that era that's completely normal. 32 hole rims were only just becoming popular/available by the late '80s, and even then still 3 cross with stainless spokes."

Hmmm, my comment was based on

1985 Apollo V 27 x 1 Araya Red Rims - Stainless Steel spokes
1987/88 Repco Olympic12 700C Wobler Gentleman GTA Rims - Plated steel spokes
1988/89 Repco Eurosport Tria 700c Araya Rims - Plated steel spokes
1987/88 Repco Vertex 700c UKAI Rims - Plated steel spokes

=>> All four (4) bikes came 32 Hole laced 3 Cross

Rob

rogerrabbit

Postby rogerrabbit » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:37 am

My 91 Clamont custom made by Geoff was fitted with Ultegra hubs laced 36 3x to 700c rims. My spec to Geoff was for a competitive club race bike that i could also ride all day in comfort. I am also 82kg so 36 was more appropriate for my weight. I note that I just now selling these wheels after probably 20,000km and they have stayed true and smooth for over 20 years without being touched, unlike my new bike with 20 spokes in the rear, of which one broke recently at West Head, leaving me stranded. There is a lot to be said for 36 spokes.